Needed a quick inspiration build--The WAC Krapen

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Cheapo

Reaction score
I haven't built or even touched a rocket in well over a month. I figured the best way to get me back in the groove to finish a couple of upscales and one other difficult paint job was to do a simple recycled rocket. My thoughts quickly went from a toilet/paper towel roll tuber to recycled Kraken then to a culmination of the Kraken and WAC Corporal. Hence the name WAC Krapen was born even though I didn't use any butt wipe rolls in the build.

Throughout my deviant thinking I remembered an email conversation with Layne Pemberton a while back with him saying, "imitation is the best form of flattery". That being said, I took it as a green light to go ahead with his enthusiastic permission to build and butcher the name of probably the coolest tube fin rocket currently on the market.

I set off with a stack of empty Sparkle paper towel tubes. They measure roughly 1.6" in diameter. Prior to cutting, I coated all the tubes with two layers of Mod Podge. This not only strengthens the tubes a bit but completely mats down any fuzzies. I originally cut four fins but decided to go with three to better reflect the WAC Corporal profile.

It sports a 24mm motor mount (yes, Layne, I used a block cut from a D casing) with friction fit retention. The motor tube was hand rolled from 110lb card stock. Centering rings are hand cut from foam core. The exterior motor mount recess, exterior centering ring face and exterior portion of motor tube are all lined with aluminum duct tape as you can see in the picture. Don't pay attention to the finger.

The baffle is what I call a cold air diversion baffle. The bulk plate/centering rings were cut from 1/8" balsa scrap. It contains two hand rolled 13mm tubes going in and two going out. The bulk plates were coated with a bit of 5min epoxy and tubes with Titebond II for a bit of protection. A recovery eye bolt is also affixed through the top of centering ring and epoxied in the valley of the two 13mm tubes exiting the baffle.

The nose cone was also rolled from a cut paper towel tube. I went with three canards instead of two in hopes of balancing it aesthetically with three fins instead of four like the Kraken. Actually, I think the canards draw attention to the fact that the nose cone isn't rolled perfectly but leans to one side. I'm thinking of painting them yellow but not sure as of this posting. I want them to pop but not look goofy. The jury is still out. The nose cone shoulder was rolled from card stock. The balsa bulkhead will have a popsicle stick glued on the back side to add strength for the recovery eye bolt to mount to. The bulk head still needs to be glued pending swing test to determine the appropriate amount of nose weight with an E motor loaded.

The conduit strip was a leftover piece of balsa. By no means did I attempt to smooth out the tube spirals. This is a recycled rocket for Pete's sake. There is no reason to make it look otherwise. I did paint the fins and body tube seperate before attaching them together. Primer used was Rustoleum 2x white. The yellow is one quick coat of old style Rustoleum Enamel (didn't have much left in the can). The black is two coats of Rustoleum 2x gloss black. Silver is Krylon Metallic with a chrome colored cap. I used a black base coat under the silver. I think it gives it a bit of depth rather than white or gray underneath. Other than giving the yellow a full 72hrs to dry (stuff takes forever to dry) this paint job was really rushed as reflected in the lifting on the black stripes. I atleast should have let them set more than 10min and traced the mask with a razor but, oh well.

Overall dimensions are 22" x 1.625". x 4.5" fin span. Current weight without parachute and motor is 3.4oz. It should fly great on anything from a C6 (w/adapter), C11, D12, E9 and smaller 24mm reloads. I'm not sure if I want to trust the foam core centering rings with an F24 or F39.

I love building a rocket from absolutely nothing with recycled materials. The cutting, sanding, rolling, etc. Thanks to Layne for the inspiration and hope you get a kick out of it.

Side note....I built this thing from junk, balsa scrap, etc. Unless you are building an upscale/downscale that isn't offered, do our small vendors a favor and buy the kits instead of doing a 100% clone with purchased parts.

El Cheapo

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

Last edited:
Tom, you never cease to amaze me. We really need to get together so you can show me how you "hand roll" those small tubes you use for your "cold air diversion baffle". I want to build one into a BT-50 coupler I'm using in my Estes Vagabond. And just what the heck is "Mod Podge"?

Thanks, Wayne. It was fun and only have about 2-3hrs vested other than dry time.

I should do a build thread on those baffles as well as on hand rolling motor tubes, etc. It's easy. For this one I used a piece of BT5 as a mandrel and a 3x5 index card. For motor mounts you want to use a spent casing. Roll the index card or card stock around the mandrel. This will help stretch and form the material. Make note where the paper makes a complete rotation by applying pressure to the length of the mandrel. It'll slightly crease the paper to give you a mark. I generally trace it in pencil after I unwrap it. Apply glue stick (I use purple so I can see where it is applied) to everything forward of your mark. Start rolling the mandrel on the index card keeping the edges straight. You're done. Easy Cheesey Lemon Squizee Don't apply glue south of your mark. If you do it'll glue the wrap to your mandrel.

Mod Podge is basically watered down white glue used as a sealer for puzzles or decoupage craft work. You can get it in matte or gloss finish. Hobby Lobby or Michaels have it. Probably Walmart as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I love building a rocket from absolutely nothing with recycled materials. The cutting, sanding, rolling, etc. Thanks to Layne for the inspiration and hope you get a kick out of it. "

:blush:

Love it....

Any time you think your going to launch it??? That looks like a $40 rocket from a few feet away! LOVE it.:wink:

Scratch builds are one of the best parts of building/designing rockets. Like me with over 20 of them....20'' to 60'' tall C-D powered.:p

Thanks for the compliments. I converted a rocsim file, that I pulled from EMRR, to open rocket. I changed a few things around and was able to get a feel for nose weight and do some sims on it. I was amazed at just how close it was considering I did not build this using the file. Mine is 1.5" shorter and a touch heavier at 4.27oz. Open rocket called for 24g of weight to put the stability at .91cal with an E9-6. That's good enough for me.

Sims
C11-3 -- 329'
D12-5 -- 767'
E9-6 -- 1239'
E18-8 -- 1602'
F24-7 -- 1877'

It should be a great small field flier and a real performer on reloads.

Got some yellow on the canards and I think I'm not really liking it. Opinions?

I think I'll go over the edges with a black sharpee and see what happens.

IMAG0305.jpg

I had an opportunity to fly the WAC Krapen yesterday, ALONE, without any kids. It was a nice treat.

The first two flights were on C11-3s. Flights were arrow straight, apogee was about perfect at around 325-350', recovery was flawless without damage on some really soft green organic material of which I do not see very often. the first flight did suffer a very small Estes dent. I'm attributing this to the 1/8" elastic/nylon shock cord that was only 1.5x the length of the rocket. That was quickly remedied with an additional length of 3/16 cord for the latter two flights. Also noted is absolutely zero scorching or discoloring on the shock cords. The baffle is working great.

Wind was fluctuating from zero to maybe 8-10mph so thought I'd try my luck on a D12-5. Flight, again, was perfect. As near as I can tell ejection was right at apogee (had to be around 700'+) but it flew into the sun so it was hard to tell one way or the other. It drifted maybe a 100yds under the 14" and landed in the street. One of the tube fins suffered a bit of damage and a very slight ding on the tip of the nose cone but nothing to even warrant a fix.

If you notice I hit the edges of the canards with a Sharpie which brought it all together in my opinion.

The pictures and video are crappy at best since I was by myself but it was a decent effort nonetheless.

IMG_3155.jpg

_MG_3164.jpg

_MG_3165.jpg

_MG_3167.jpg

_MG_3169.jpg

Fin damage and good as new shock cord after three flights. I LOVE those baffles.

IMAG0320.jpg

IMAG0321.jpg

Latest posts

Back