Hornet5 with booster fin pods

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodRocket

Reaction score
This is a rocket idea I have been tossing around. Hornet5 name comes from the parts out of a Hornet kit that are used in this rocket. See attached open rocket files. Two files, one of the main body, and other with fin pods. Can't build this rocket in open rocket like I want, the reason for two files to show what I want to try. Guess I need to get RockSim bought this winter.

Idea is to have a main body tube of bt-55 with Hornet kit nose cone, has blunt nose long Red Max shape, four fins also out of the Hornet kit. Right now total length is still being worked out, this 34 inch is just the length of the tube I have to work with. Will adjust length to suit stability.

At the tip cord of each fin is a short length of bt-5 with a nose cone glued on. The fin pod tube is centered onto the tip cord. These can be left empty or used as "A" motor mounts.

So this is where the name Hornet5 comes from. 5 motor cluster. One main 18mm and four 13mm booster pods.

Am I getting too ambitious with this rocket?

What do you think? Too complicated? Too much distance between main and booster engines?

I think it will still look good even without working fin pod boosters.

See ya,
Rod

View attachment Hornet5.ork

View attachment Hornet5 fin booster pod.ork

I guess this does resemble the Estes kit with the bt-5 pods. I just had the Hornet kit that I hadn't built yet and was playing with some bt-5 nose cones and tubing I have.

Guess I will glue up the Hornet5 airframe and see what it ends up like.

See ya,
Rod

Here it is so far. Stayed up way too late getting fins and booster pods on. First I slipped a tube coupler into the pod and added a longer length of tube so I could glue fin to the pod tube with my fin tool. After those were done, I then glued the fins to the body tube. I am short one nose cone and still need to add the lugs, but this is the rocket I had in mind.

Too bad I cant combine those two open rocket files to see just how this will launch. Maybe over the winter I can finally get the Rocksim and really get my mind into these rockets.

I left the body tube the stock length of the original Hornet. I had a section ready to add and would have added about 6 inches to total length. But I still like it. And I can always add a payload section later if I want.

Tough part is now to come with the finish. Thinking white with red accents and a spacey/sci-fi/military look. Maybe a touch of metallic metal colors to resemble brushed or polished aluminum or stainless.

See ya,
Rod

Hornet5.jpg

looks great so far!

Here it is so far. Stayed up way too late getting fins and booster pods on. First I slipped a tube coupler into the pod and added a longer length of tube so I could glue fin to the pod tube with my fin tool. After those were done, I then glued the fins to the body tube. I am short one nose cone and still need to add the lugs, but this is the rocket I had in mind.

Too bad I cant combine those two open rocket files to see just how this will launch. Maybe over the winter I can finally get the Rocksim and really get my mind into these rockets.

I left the body tube the stock length of the original Hornet. I had a section ready to add and would have added about 6 inches to total length. But I still like it. And I can always add a payload section later if I want.

Tough part is now to come with the finish. Thinking white with red accents and a spacey/sci-fi/military look. Maybe a touch of metallic metal colors to resemble brushed or polished aluminum or stainless.

See ya,
Rod

Back