Your favorite Rocketry Tool

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Something either designed specifically for building or flying a rocket or not a usually thought of tool for building rockets commonly.

Here is my favorite. It is a tube stuffer for shock cords and parachutes. It has 3 rounded wooden toothpicks, they are round enough they don't poke holes in the chutes, but they have enough grab to shove things down. The tape on the back keeps it "smooth" so it doesn't pull the cord back out.IMG_2153.jpgIMG_2154.jpgIMG_2155.jpg

Ingenious! I may just have to steal that concept!

Mine is my 22" Great Planes sanding bar. Not for sanding, but as a straight edge for marking body tubes.

My straight-edge for body tubes is either a 3/4 or 1.5 inch steel angle. Depends on the tube diameter for which one I use.

My favorite tool is either that or my calipers. Or the sand belt that I cut to form a Looooooooooooooong piece of sandpaper for beveling fins...

Last edited:
My straight edge for marking bt's is one of my kitchen drawers--really ---works great--by the way I checked it for square first!

Course like most it's my aluminum angels but I'm also very fond of my 6.00 digital scale.Might be my best deal off e-bay

Since, I am a artist, I guess I would have to say my favorite tools are hands and my mind. I see things in my mind, then my hands do the work.

By far my favorite is OpenRocket. Modeling the rocket flying on different motors gives a whole new dimension to the hobby in my eyes.

Has to be my Harbor Freight large oscillating sander (not a wimpy palm type). Kind of a love-hate thing really, as I despise sanding, yet love that I have that tool that makes it so much faster/easier.

One of my fav and oft used "tools" would be a credit card as a straight edge for cutting and drawing. I would LOVE it if the would make them with a scale along one edge.

One of my fav and oft used "tools" would be a credit card as a straight edge for cutting and drawing. I would LOVE it if the would make them with a scale along one edge.
They are working on one. It is a logarithmic scalle.

$100
$1,000
$1,000,000
TOO BIG TO FAIL!

We gotta talk to NAR about making one side of the membership card metal with a 3" scale and 7cm on the other side

I'm thinking about getting something from stickershock that is a 4 foot ruler decal that attaches to the edge of my angle iron...

Definitely either my aluminum angle or my hobby knife. Openrocket is high on the list, too. Does a 24/40 RMS count as a tool?

The two tools I use most on my builds are the Estes fin marking guide (the one with the plastic fin marking discs) and my 7-grit finger nail file (found in the health and beauty section of most stores) which makes a great sanding tool.

Calipers-100% Then my cordless drill, then alaly angle stock in diff sizes. This chair and maybe the remote.....

Credit card is also great for smoothing out "Fill n Finish" on balsa fins

I just use my dad's (basically brand new) sheetrock putty knife. It does really well!

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Dremel! I have a cordless I charge up and take with me to every launch.

Back