AT Mustang finished (finally)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isobig

Reaction score
Had this kit shelved for many years. I built it in the spring this year and just got around to putting the decals on this morning. Hoping to fly it soon. What are your favorite motors to use with it?

IMG_2312.JPG

I love to fly mine on the F40-7. Great flight! Good looking finish on that one - good job!

Looks great! What technique did you use to paint the black tip on the nose cone?

Looks great! What technique did you use to paint the black tip on the nose cone?

Cut out a circle in a piece of thin cardboard, like from a cereal box. Placed it over the nose and made it as level as I could. Taped it in place underneath and then sprayed the black tip. Not perfect but from a distance it looks great.

Not sure if I should post this or not, but on mine, I painted the whole cone black, the used a condom on the tip to mask it as I painted the rest of it gray...worked pretty well!

Had this kit shelved for many years. I built it in the spring this year and just got around to putting the decals on this morning. Hoping to fly it soon. What are your favorite motors to use with it?...
F50-9, and lots of recovery room! I've flown this motor on the Mustang, Arreaux, and IQSY Tomahawk. Hmm, don't have any of those anymore! The F25-9 is nice too, but I've had too many of those CATO. Second favorite is the F27-8R; Get the LMS version, so the delay can be tweaked.

Last edited:
Not sure if I should post this or not, but on mine, I painted the whole cone black, the used a condom on the tip to mask it as I painted the rest of it gray...worked pretty well!

I am just finishing building an AT Mustang that I got for Christmas (my first ever mid-power rocket). Here is how I painted the tip of the nose cone. I used a piece of BT-55 tube, which happens to be the exact right diameter to cover 3 3/4" of the nose. Then I cut a thin strip of masking tape about 1/3" wide (I used 3M automotive masking tape) and taped around the nose cone using the BT-55 tube as a guide. I finished the masking job with wider tape and a plastic bag. Then I sprayed it with Model Masters black enamel.

All I have left to do is clear coat the whole rocket and it will be ready to fly.

m1.JPG

m2.JPG

m3.JPG

m4.JPG

m5.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job there Nathan. Let us know how it flys. I will do same once I get to fly mine as well.

Very beautiful paint job. Have you flown it yet?

I always paint indoors and breath deeply - just kidding - paint outdoors or in a paint tent. Good ventilation is key. You may only make that mistake once.

Good idea, I'll have to pick up some smaller ones and give that a try!

Very beautiful paint job. Have you flown it yet?

Not yet. As this is my first mid power rocket I need a new launch controller because my Estes Electron Beam isn't going to do the job. I just ordered all the components to build a 12V controller from scratch so it will be a while before I launch it.

That's one way to "be safe" with your rocket. :cool:

note: finger cots are smaller...(find them at the drug store)
rex

Back