Rockwell "Jaw" Stand

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadrog

Reaction score
After seeing this item posted here, and knowing I needed an upgrade, this unit looked like a keeper. I bought it through Amazon.com for $59.99. After getting it opened up and felt out, I decided an order needed to be placed with 80/20. Through ebay, I found the bits needed to get started. This arrangement will support three rods simultaneously, 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4" (not in that order).
The base of 20/20 extrusion did not fit in the "jaw" as it is, the nylon pads had to be thinned a small amount. I don't have a solid plan for the pads themselves yet, I'll work on that this weekend.
If I can get that ironed out quickly, I do have a plan for my 10/10 rail. The pad will switch from rod trio to rail in a matter of seconds.
Thanks again to the one who discovered this unit, I think it's going to be a very reliable, long lasting piece of critical equipment.
PIC_2709.jpg

Parts thus far are pretty basic 80/20 stuff - the main base is a piece of surplus 20/20 extrusion. It kinda blends into the stand because it's black anodized.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3307107650...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1338wt_1037
PIC_2715.jpg

The pad bases are called "Aluminum Right Angle 90 Degree Pivot Nub Assembly 10 S 4011" found here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2208607230...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1424wt_1037
They are not arranged on the pad as they were arranged purchased, and the knobs did not come with the units. I think I'm going to switch out the knobs for a pivoting arm, that will make it easier to get under the pad to adjust the angle. I also bought a pack of the "Economy T nuts" for attachment of other things at other times. They've already come in handy, because the one backing the knob was not included.
PIC_2711.jpgPIC_2712.jpgPIC_2716.jpg
Lock-tite was used to secure the bolt attaching the upright bar to the base, with the upright bar reversed from the original configuration to keep it from pivoting at the base and allowing the pad above to pivot.

Last edited:
Beautiful and functional! How do you plan to keep it so pretty? Even the small gap between the rod and my blast deflector has gunked up my pad.
-Ken

Beautiful and functional! How do you plan to keep it so pretty? Even the small gap between the rod and my blast deflector has gunked up my pad.
-Ken

Large blast deflectors are on the drawing board, hopefully I can get them looking like something tomorrow.

Just ordered a 10/10 rail and the jaw stand. Please post how you guy's are doing on your's.

Those $6 Easypower 1/4 inch drill chucks at Menards might work out good for rod holders.

Requested by geodehunter, here are some details of the inside of the jaw. The clamp doesn't amount to much (pic 2), so the bottom tubes will be used for support of the rail while in the vertical position - I think a couple conduit clamps bolted to the rail will do the trick. I'm going to try to get to that tomorrow.
PIC_2747.jpgPIC_2748.jpgPIC_2749.jpg

I am sold. I am looking and will likely build one too. Thanks for
post the parts.

I came up with a cheap and dirty rail mount for the stand, total investment $1.42. I bent and mounted two 1/2" conduit clamps to the rail, then adjusted the opening to where the rail will "snap" into place on the tubes that form the bottom surface of the jaw opening. I flanked the rail with two hardwood strips, for no other reason than to take up more space in the jaw. So far, so good.
PIC_2756.jpgPIC_2757.jpgPIC_2758.jpg

I am doing something similar with plywood this week. I want the rail to stand proud of the jaws so that I can use the entire length and maybe set it lower to the ground. Will post some pics when done but basically 1x1 ripped 2x4 and some 1/4 ply braces to the rail.

I am doing something similar with plywood this week. I want the rail to stand proud of the jaws so that I can use the entire length and maybe set it lower to the ground. Will post some pics when done but basically 1x1 ripped 2x4 and some 1/4 ply braces to the rail.

So your rail will be mounted with the jaw in the horizontal position? That's the only way I can see it getting lower to the ground. I have an eight foot length of rail, so losing a foot to the mount is no issue for anything I'll be flying off of it.

So your rail will be mounted with the jaw in the horizontal position? That's the only way I can see it getting lower to the ground. I have an eight foot length of rail, so losing a foot to the mount is no issue for anything I'll be flying off of it.

No, jaw vertical. The 1x1 and plywood braces will clamp in the clamp. The braces will hold the rail out beyond the jaws. Where I attach the braces to the rail will determine the ground clearance of the rail. Sorry for the confusion. Pictures soon. I am too lazy to do a drawing for such a simple set of parts.

No, jaw vertical. The 1x1 and plywood braces will clamp in the clamp. The braces will hold the rail out beyond the jaws. Where I attach the braces to the rail will determine the ground clearance of the rail. Sorry for the confusion. Pictures soon. I am too lazy to do a drawing for such a simple set of parts.

I see, makes more sense now.

The little conduit clamps make it so the rail will not go down?

So, this is what I had in mind:

LauncherRailSupport.jpg

Materials:
1x1x15" ripped from 2x4
3x15x1/4 ply
#8 x 1 wood screw (10)
Wood glue
1/4/20 x 2" bolt with flat washers and nuts

The rail is held out beyond the jaws, allowing use of the full rail length. The rail assembly is just clamped in the jaw and can be easily removed to fit in a 6 foot truck bed.

So, this is what I had in mind:

View attachment 95822

Materials:
1x1x15" ripped from 2x4
3x15x1/4 ply
#8 x 1 wood screw (10)
Wood glue
1/4/20 x 2" bolt with flat washers and nuts

The rail is held out beyond the jaws, allowing use of the full rail length. The rail assembly is just clamped in the jaw and can be easily removed to fit in a 6 foot truck bed.

Very solid plan. I am still interested in what Chadrog plans to do with the above: https://www.ebay.com/itm/330710765080...ht_1338wt_1037

Not sure if its nationwide but my local Lowe's has these on sale for $59 and change at the moment.Had to get a rain check,only the floor model left. :cry:

Not sure if its nationwide but my local Lowe's has these on sale for $59 and change at the moment.Had to get a rain check,only the floor model left. :cry:

I would imagine it's pretty close to that nationwide, that's what I paid on Amazon.

And no tax on Amazon. Check and see if it is Prime - then free shipping too.

And no tax on Amazon. Check and see if it is Prime - then free shipping too.

To clarify - Shipping is free if you're an Amazon Prime member (I am), the jaw stand is (was) a "prime" item when I bought it.

Back