3 1/2 good scratcher flights -- new SR-73 Raven Glider and New Gyskelion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Start with SR-73 Raven, a heavily modified upscale of SR-72 Darkbird from Apogee, which is itself a heavily modified SR-71 (except it's a glider)

Differences from SR-72
Upscale about 2X
This is a MINIMUM Diameter Rear Eject Boost Glider. Not only does the motor mount eject, it also takes most of the rear fin assembly (including the tube fins) off the glider with it. Also takes the posterior third of the body tube off. Thus takes a LOT of weight of the Glider Portion of the rocket.
Good flight on C6-3. Engine pod came down hard, the minimum diameter (BT-5 inside of BT-20-- note the engine mount IS a BT-20-- rest of pod is BT-5) doesn't leave a lot of room for the streamer. Figured I could "wind" it and it would unwind. Figured wrong. Bent the front inch, easily fixable.

Nice glide, spiral a LITTLE tight. Did NOT do that in flight testing on the ground. No damage on landing, on this design ALL of the "bottom" fins are ejected with the pod, so the bottom of the glider is truly flat. Good thing, as I don't think any balsa "bottom" fins would have survived the asphalt slide.

SR73Pad1.jpg

SR73Pad2.jpg

SR73PaintFrontTop.jpg

SR73Raw2pcBottom.jpg

SR73RawBottom.jpg

Next up, the Little Deuce Scoupe.

This is a two stage eccentric single tube fin rocket, roughly based on the CorkScrew. Flown first unpainted as the Single and Double Scoupe, I've adjusted the nose weight for STABLE 2 stage flight (screwy is one thing, unstable another.)
As a single stage this flies straight as an arrow with no corkscrew. As a TWO stage this does corkscrew on the first stage.

Nice stable flight with good first stage corkscrew. Sustainer spit the engine and just barely missed ejecting the chute (chute was part way out.) So came down as a nose blow recovery, Minimal bend to the body tube, should be fly-able again.

LilDeuceScoupForward.jpg

LilDeuceScoupFront.jpg

LilDeuceScoupPad1.jpg

LilDeuceScoupSide.jpg

LilDeuceScoupSide2.jpg

Last edited:
Recovery shot--- nose was nearly buries, has about 1/2 oz of weight to counter the C6-0 Booster Stage.LilDeuceScoupRecovery.jpg

Next up--- New Gyskelion.

This is a beefier version of the original, still gives good flights on a C6-3 (probably could do a C6-5). Flights a little short on B6-4. This is a NON-comp Helicopter I have posted before. It is engine eject. If there is interest, I have the pics for a build thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y6xJfRCW6k&feature=youtu.be

GyskelionLAUNCH!.jpg

GyskelionPad.jpg

GyskelionSky.jpg

Last edited:
Next up--- New Gyskelion.

This is a beefier version of the original, still gives good flights on a C6-3 (probably could do a C6-5). Flights a little short on B6-4. This is a NON-comp Helicopter I have posted before. It is engine eject. If there is interest, I have the pics for a build thread.

I'm definitely interested.

Last up, Triple Sec.
Discovered if One Chute opens, the other two are un-needed. Will probably upscale this to a 20mm. Still got ANOTHER zipper on the one chute that did deploy. Might try a piston on the 20 mm version.

TripleSecPad1.jpg

TripleSecRecovery.jpg

TripleSec1chuteopen2furled.jpg

TripleSecZipper.jpg

TripleSecSide.jpg

I must be having a senior moment. Not sure I understand the question. It is not a competition eligible rocket. Also, since it is engine eject, should not be flown around dry grass. This design does NOT allow for a streamer on the engine casing (at least not easily.)

I must be having a senior moment. Not sure I understand the question. It is not a competition eligible rocket. Also, since it is engine eject, should not be flown around dry grass. This design does NOT allow for a streamer on the engine casing (at least not easily.)

My bad, trying to be clever here, I thought the name was derived from a Star Trek episode, The Gamesters of Triskelion, TOS Season 2 Episode 16. Now I'm really glad I didn't go with the Quatloos reference.:p

Tom,

That SR-73 Raven looks very nice indeed!! Having the two yaw enhancing pod fins is nice as well, sort of what the SWT did. I keep wanting to make an SR-like glider with black Readiboard for 24mm stuff but never seem to get around to it....

Back