Designing a 29mm Avbay with screw switch for Raven 3.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clusterphiliac

Reaction score
My level 1 Certification build, Derecho, uses a "sledless" avbay mounted in the nose cone. What this basically means is that in the rear bulkhead there are two holes into which I can drop two 29mm diameter, 2.5" long subassemblies, which are secured by a retention screw and washer mounted on the bulkhead. In theory, this will make swapping an altimeter between rockets as simple as removing the single screw, popping the altimeter subassembly out, and popping it in a different rocket.

However, the devil is in the details of designing the drop-in subassembly itself. For my cert flight, I used a Featherweight 29mm Avbay kit. However, I found the system of securing e-match wires with nuts to be a bit tricky, and the magnetic switch was a pain in the neck to get to work. So, I've decided to make my own altimeter subassembly.

My wish list of features is:

• A regular terminal block sticking out of one bulkhead, supporting all 4 of the Raven's outputs.
  • A screw switch for arming and disarming. I'm already going to be drilling vent holes, might as well drill switch holes too...
  • Some sort of "key" I can use to ensure angular alignment when the assembly is installed in a rocket.
  • If possible, a built-in battery charger, like in the 38mm avbay kit. Ideally the battery could be charged and the altimeter accessed with the assembly still together, and only disassembled to replace failed components, or to move the Raven to a specialized avbay for minimum diameter rockets.
  • Fits inside a 29mm diameter, 2.5" long tube, excluding protruding components such as the terminal block.
  • Isolates electronic components from ejection gases with a bulkhead.

This avbay would not be under any significant structural loads in flight, since unlike the featherweight avbay kits the shock cord will not be attached to it.

I've been making a mockup in Solidworks, but I'd like some help with a few things.

1. Is there a SolidWorks model of the Raven 3 available? I've figured out the approximate screw locations, but the altimeter is "taller" in some areas than others, and it seems like this will be crucial to getting everything to fit together.

2. Is there a circuit diagram of the 38mm Avbay kit that would help me determine how to connect the charger to the other components?

3. The Raven itself and the Featherweight Screw Switch seem like they will be usable, but could the USB battery charger available from Featherweight be modified to work with such a setup, or would I need to buy a charger from whatever supplier Adrian A. gets his from?

Can you upload your current SLDPRT and SLDASM files? :) You'll have to zip them first.

Would be cool if we could figure out how to get some college kids to 3d scan a bunch of different altimeters and make the solid models available as "freeware" provided the manufacturers didn't mind. Would be a tremendous asset to av bay planning...

Hmm... I would probably share a few of mine for the sake of this purpose, as long as everything came back intact and no worse for the wear.

If a manufacturer was to offer 3D models of their products, I would certainly use their models for development and would therefore be inclined to purchase their products.

I have a model of the Raven3 which was made by Frozenferrari in AutoCAD, which I imported it into SolidWorks. Because some of the geometry was imported a bit wonky, I can't fix the fact that it's all just surfaces except for a couple places where I added missing things. However, the dimensions are correct and it will work fine for making a 3D model of an avbay. Here's the file.

I have a model of the Raven3 which was made by Frozenferrari in AutoCAD, which I imported it into SolidWorks. Because some of the geometry was imported a bit wonky, I can't fix the fact that it's all just surfaces except for a couple places where I added missing things. However, the dimensions are correct and it will work fine for making a 3D model of an avbay. Here's the file.

Can you develop 2d models of all six views? If so I would love a *.dxf...

Back