Bertha's breech baby ...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My baby bertha has lost a nose cone on ejection twice and both times tumble recovered perfectly. Although with a stuffer tube for gap staging it might push the cg slightly forward compared to unmodified.
Let’s hope for the best!
Make sure you have a designated spotter for the booster, whether it tumbles or not, can be a challenge to find as it comes down quick , isn’t very big, and has no streamer or chute to flutter in the breeze!

Nice, I'd like to see photos when you finish it. Also, if you do anything different, post it!

Hello,
Unfortunately, my Baby Bertha came in the mail yesterday and the body tube was completely crushed almost flat on one end with major creases. Looks like I will have to wait :(
N.C.

Hello,
Unfortunately, my Baby Bertha came in the mail yesterday and the body tube was completely crushed almost flat on one end with major creases. Looks like I will have to wait :(
N.C.

What a bummer. Can it be saved considering the nose cone will be glued on? Or is it just created too badly?

Contact Estes, they'll send you a new BT. They'll just want a photo.

Here she is in paint. I had tried to go for some stripes above the fins, but the red paint wrinkled there when I shot the clear coat. Fortunately no problem with the red of the fins. I sanded out the wrinkles and just shot another coat of the black metallic, and then another coat of clear over it. That's the second time I've had a problem with that Krylon Fusion red wrinkling on me ... I'll keep that in mind!

KXjsdxl.jpg

Last edited:
Like to see details

The sustainer pulls out a foot of kevlar that is taped to the inside of the body just below the motor mount. After that is the streamer followed by about another foot of kevlar. There is an additional nylon string that runs down the outside of the booster and is looped around the motor mount so the booster will descend horizontally under the streamer.

Attachments

• 20190908_220503.jpg
    20190908_220503.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 20190908_220526.jpg
    20190908_220526.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20190908_220538.jpg
    20190908_220538.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190908_220619.jpg
    20190908_220619.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 63
Flew the Breech Bertha again twice this weekend on C6-5. It flies very nicely, and the rear ejection is working flawlessly.

The first launch singed the chute a little, but it still mostly deployed. I noticed the motor tube had eroded a bit where the upper part of the motor hook goes through it. I patched the hole with a couple wraps of blue tape, and the second flight was perfect.

I'm going to permanently patch that hole with some epoxy.

Back