Dyed some chutes today

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Awhile back I picked up some 42" military flare chutes from Aerocon Systems. If any of you have never visited the site the link is listed below.

https://aeroconsystems.com/cart/

Bob the owner is a great guy to do business with and he has a large selection of chutes as well as a large assortment of other rocketry stuff. Things you wouldn't be able to find on most sites he has.

Anyway just wanted to share some pictures of the chutes. They turned out pretty good and currently drying on the cloths lines. I used liquid RIT, which you can buy at most craft stores such as Michael's. They run a few dollars a bottle and one bottle you can probably dye 2-3 chutes depending on the size.

If any of you have never used a flare chute you will be surprised at the performance. They work excellent!! For instance the 36" chute has the same drag as a 45" chute. I used them before the rocket floats down nicely and it doesn't sway from side to side. Bob is the largest distributor of these chutes and he by far offers the best prices. I mean $6 for a 36" chute you can't go wrong.

I also want to thank Scott @ K&S for sewing the Kevlar bridle and doing a very professional job. Scott is a real stand up guy and it's always a pleasure doing business with him.

https://www.kandsrockets.com/

005.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

002.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this AB...I have one of those chutes, bought it back in the 70s from Edmund Scientific...I have flown it a couple times and the white is pretty boring...I have wondered if you could dye these things...and I wondered what to do with the shroud lines -- you have answered both of my questions! :D

There's detailed instructions on Aerocon's website. If you look up the 60" chute the instructions are under the description of that chute. Yes they do look cool after they are dyed. Always make sure you run cold water over them after you remove them from the dye to lock in the color. I take the whole pot outside after I remove it from the stove and I hang them out on the line using a quick link and swivel. Always use rubber gloves and keep it clean or your wife or girlfriend will have your head! LOL:eek:

I recently purchased and dyed two of their ($12 ea!) 60" chutes. These chutes are beautifully made. 12 gores with double stitched seams, the bottom edge of the chute is reinforced with a 1/2" lightweight nylon strap which is double stitched, each shroud line is quad and zigzagged stitched 6" up each gore seam with nylon reinforcement strapping, the shroud lines are grouped into two groups of six and sleeved near the rocket attachment loop.

I tried to find the Cherry Red dye which RIT's web site indicates should be available, but even though several large hobby and craft stores carry every other dye color made by RIT (Walmart caries a few, too), none carry Cherry Red in this large metro area. Weird. The only reddish color anyone carries is Scarlet that produces more of what I'd call a red wine color when the chutes are dyed. It should still be much more visible than the original white. I've got two more chutes on the way, so I think I'll try the Tangerine color shown above by AfterBurners.

BTW, my two 60" chutes weighed in at 345g (12.2oz) each. This compares with 526g (18.2oz) for a 60" Skyangle chute.

The Aerocon 60" chute is from a 4.2" caliber mortar round:

https://aeroconsystems.com/cart/images/products/par60white.jpg

Last edited:
I recently purchased and dyed two of their ($12 ea!) 60" chutes. These chutes are beautifully made. 12 gores with double stitched seams, the bottom edge of the chute is reinforced with a 1/2" lightweight nylon strap which is double stitched, each shroud line is quad and zigzagged stitched 6" up each gore seam with nylon reinforcement strapping, the shroud lines are grouped into two groups of six and sleeved near the rocket attachment loop.

I tried to find the Cherry Red dye which RIT's web site indicates should be available, but even though several large hobby and craft stores carry every other dye color made by RIT (Walmart caries a few, too), none carry Cherry Red in this large metro area. Weird. The only reddish color anyone carries is Scarlet that produces more of what I'd call a red wine color when the chutes are dyed. It should still be much more visible than the original white. I've got two more chutes on the way, so I think I'll try the Tangerine color shown above by AfterBurners.

BTW, my two 60" chutes weighed in at 345g (12.2oz) each. This compares with 526g (18.2oz) for a 60" Skyangle chute.

Winston

The chutes are excellent. I also have a (2) each of the 36, 42 and 60" chutes. They perform excellent! BTW - here's a link to the Cherry Red dye you were looking for. I have the Scarlet Red and it is a bit darker. I might place an order for some Cherry Red. The Lemon Yellow also shows up nice.

https://www.ritdye.com/store/colors/cherry-red

Hey guys just wanted to add that I have some of these chutes for sale if you are interested? They are 42" and $9 each. Posted in the FOR SALE forum.

Last edited:
Great post!!! I may have to try these chutes and keep my older ones for spares. :cheers:

Back