Estes Pro Series II Leviathan build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jus_rockets

Reaction score
So after seeing so many post about the estes pro series II kits I decided to give them a try. I built some estes rockets before, but I moved up to the LOC stuff now and working on getting my level 1 cert. I picked up the Leviathan kit at Hobby Lobby for $35 plus tax with the 40% coupon, I also picked up some wadding and sonic igniters. Here are some pics of the build.

Same packaging as other estes kit
christinasphotos162-1.jpg

The tubes are not as thick as the Loc's tubes, they are like the ones aerotech uses on their kits.
christinasphotos187.jpg

I really like that the motor mount had 3 plywood centering rings and the motor tube was a good length.
christinasphotos191.jpg

christinasphotos192.jpg

A little too short for 240 case lol! but the retainer is pretty nice for being plastic. I also have 4 more retainers for my LOC rockets, will provide input on them on their durability after I fly them
christinasphotos190.jpg

christinasphotos188.jpg

christinasphotos189.jpg

Almost finished just need to do the fillets, launch lugs, and shock cord mount which I will make it LOC style and will not use the dumb paper mount.

christinasphotos002.jpg

christinasphotos001.jpg

christinasphotos003-1.jpg

Last edited:
Motor case longer than motor tube is no significant problem, let her rip!

Im sure I will after I get my certification, I will just need to add some nose weight.

When I have a motor case that is longer, I just add a baffle.....

I would put a small U-bolt in the top centering ring and add some kevlar then some elastic shock cord, or get some small tubular nylon for the recovery harness. Then put a nice 30" chute in it. With a G64 or a G80, the added weight won't make any difference.

Last edited:
When I have a motor case that is longer, I just add a baffle.....

I would put a small U-bolt in the top centering ring and add some kevlar then some elastic shock cord, or get some small tubular nylon for the recovery harness. Then put a nice 30" chute in it. With a G64 or a G80, the added weight won't make any difference.

I used the LOC shock cord mount but I ditched the elastic crap and used 1/8 750# Kevlar. Here is an update, I got the fillets done, installed the retainer with jb weld, finished the shock cord mount and installed the kevlar,. All it needs now is paint and install the rail buttons.

Rocketry005.jpg

Rocketry006.jpg

Rocketry001.jpg

Rocketry004.jpg

Rocketry003.jpg

Rocketry002.jpg

Looking good! I appreciate these build threads.

The model reminds me of the NCR Phantom. A big friendly dumb rocket.

What is the green ring on top of the motor mount for?

I also appreciate this thread, as I noticed this kit in my Hobby Lobby about the same time and fell in love with it. However, they also stocked the ProSeries II composite motors for $25 each, and I'm not sure what these are, and I couldn't find any info on Estes' site. Do these rockets use some kind of refillable/reusable motor? $25 is a lot for just one launch.

They're relabel Aerotech composite single use motors. Price running at normal retail. Use the HL 40% to reduce cost.

I also appreciate this thread, as I noticed this kit in my Hobby Lobby about the same time and fell in love with it. However, they also stocked the ProSeries II composite motors for $25 each, and I'm not sure what these are, and I couldn't find any info on Estes' site. Do these rockets use some kind of refillable/reusable motor? $25 is a lot for just one launch.

Info is on the Estes website under pro Series II (motors). motor data is identical to Aerotech and is on the NAR website.

Looking good! I appreciate these build threads.

The model reminds me of the NCR Phantom. A big friendly dumb rocket.

What is the green ring on top of the motor mount for?

Thanks! the green ring is used as alignment tool for the centering rings. It makes sure you align the rings perfectly and the depth they have to be at, then you can epoxy it to one end for extra strength.

You can used the aerotech 29/40-120 Reloadable motor system. You can buy the case for about $25-35 used and the reloads for about $11-$15 and most 29/40-120 reloads don't have any hazmat fees, since the grains are wrapped individually.

All finished and painted, paint came out nice but I could of done a better job with the fillets. Still debating if I should get a decal or not, here are some pics.

Rocketry022.jpg

Rocketry014.jpg

Rocketry019.jpg

Rocketry020.jpg

Rocketry017.jpg

Rocketry018.jpg

VERY nice looking rocket Juan, looking forward to seeing it fly for Spring Blast! Did you say you are using rail buttons on this? Did they come with the kit? I have a six foot rail at 100 ft. if you want to use it..... With a CTI 3 grain motor, (which I have) you could fly it on an H for your certification flight. :D

Thanks, the rail buttons do not come with the kit. I bought them from fuddrucker here on TRF. I actually have my own launch pad now with a rail and fixed my controller. And I was thinking of doing my level 1 on a minie magg I am building or a LOC Tweed B. But we will see I still need to get my NAR membership.

Great build! Pretty Blue! Thanks for rolling out with a build of this new Estes rocket.

Nice job, great color!

This kit would be an easy conversion to an anti-zipper design with the coupler being down by the fins.

Great build! Pretty Blue! Thanks for rolling out with a build of this new Estes rocket.

Thanks I will be flying it next weekend and will try and get some pics and vids of its maiden flight.

Nice job, great color!

This kit would be an easy conversion to an anti-zipper design with the coupler being down by the fins.

Thanks

I'm curious if it would de better to extend the fin slots out the end of other tube and build the engine mount and fin assembly first, then slide and glue it in place.

I'm curious if it would de better to extend the fin slots out the end of other tube and build the engine mount and fin assembly first, then slide and glue it in place.

You could do it that way, and there are guys that do do that method on their higher powered rockets. The drawback, as I see it, is the loss of strength in the body tube at the aft end..Once you cut the slots all the way to the end the tube will naturally want to 'flower' out and spread. Then when you insert the built fin can you would need to find some way to bring those tube ends in to secure to the centering ring:2:

This could be more trouble than it's worth. You'd need to be totally sure that the fins are properly aligned, or they wouldn't fit into the slots.

A better technique:

If your model has three centering rings, as the Leviathan does, you can leave off the rear centering ring until the internal fillets and such have been applied.

This could be more trouble than it's worth. You'd need to be totally sure that the fins are properly aligned, or they wouldn't fit into the slots.

A better technique:

If your model has three centering rings, as the Leviathan does, you can leave off the rear centering ring until the internal fillets and such have been applied.

Thanks

You could do it that way, and there are guys that do do that method on their higher powered rockets. The drawback, as I see it, is the loss of strength in the body tube at the aft end..Once you cut the slots all the way to the end the tube will naturally want to 'flower' out and spread. Then when you insert the built fin can you would need to find some way to bring those tube ends in to secure to the centering ring:2:

I agree and was concerned about that too. Thanks. Based on what I have learned, I will build it the recommended way.

A better technique:

That's what I did when building my Ventris. ;)

It's also the standard building proceedure for AeroTech kits.

Got the chance to launch the Leviathan this weekend at my local club launch and boy was I impressed. It flew straight as an arrow and went pretty high, I cant say how high since I dont have an altimeter. It flew on a G76G, G71R, and a G75J on a 180 case. All three flights were perfect and recovery was good, no damaged whatsoever except a little dust lol! Here are some vids enjoy!

[video=youtube_share;sRJqcukfhpY]https://youtu.be/sRJqcukfhpY[/video]

Nice boosts.

Looks like there might be a glitch in the first video. The Leviathan disappears at the instant of launch and suddenly appears high in the sky. Teleportation? :D

The second video clip shows the boost much better but it might just be the smoky motor.

Well done!

Thanks I dont think the video has a glitch its just the high thrust of the g76 motor

A build thread that goes from a bag of parts to a launch video!

Thanks!

Back