MRC - Iron Man (LS 100) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caveduck

semi old rocketeer
Reaction score
MRC Iron Man built from original kit in the mid 1990s.

20110810_MRC_IronMan_r2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I inherited my Iron Man from a buddy who moved away. I reattached one fin, and replaced one of the missing 'boosters'. The ugly gold thing in the photos was the first replacement and the grey one is the replacement of the replacement. I also added a fixed 24mm mount. The Iron Man came with replaceable mounts but I thought they were all missing. Of course, after I glued in the new one I found the original 24mm mount hiding in a box of junk. D'oh!

More info here.

P1070265 (Large) (2).jpg

new booster (Large).jpg

P1070266 (Large).JPG

mrc02.jpg

Long delayed - here are the header card and fin alignment template for the MRC Iron Man from that build. The former is a pasteup of two scans as it's a bit tall for my scanner.

MRC_IronMan_card.jpg MRC_IronMan_fin_alignment.jpg

The genesis of the MRC Iron Man rocket kit has an interesting history.

Back in 1988 Scott Branche (Rokitflite) and myself were working for a new rocket company named Enertek based in Phoenix, Arizona.

Our supervisor/boss was Bill Stine who had the title of Marketing Director. Gary Rosenfield was Vice-President and Lee Piester was President of the company.

Enertek had been established to bring larger-sized rockets and motors to the mass-market. The company had a very sucessful showing at the HIAA show that year and had taken in millions (That's right) of dollars in orders for the product line.

Even so, several distributors/hobby retailers would not order the product line. To them, model rocketry was 'traditional/small' rockets such as Estes sold. These were customers that Enertek wanted.

So, with that in mind, Scott and I were summoned to Bill's office to talk about the need to create a line of 'smaller' model rocket kits which could be flown on 24mm (E15, E30) and 18mm (To be determined) motors.

Scott was/is a very creative and imaginative person who can design excellent models. Scott came up with designs for 20-24 new 'smaller' Enrtek rocket kits and hand-drew artwork for each one.

One of these was a model named Ironman. It was designed to recall the Centuri Orion kit. All three of us really liked that model and name.

Sadly, Enertek never produced it's original line of products let alone a second series. The company closed up shop and the assets were bought up by one of the Enertek investors who then invested in AeroTech and provided the Enertek assets.

Bill had been hired by MRC to refresh their model rocket line. He recalled the Enertek Ironman model and contacted the Enertek/AeroTech owners to ask if he could release the Ironman kit for MRC. It was agreed and the rest is history.

A few years later MRC left the model rocket buisiness. Bill Stine went on to establish Quest Aerospace. I went back to work for AeroTech to bring out a mid-power model rocket product line the included a few products originally planned for Enertek. Scott went back to the East Coast.

Many folks have commented to me over the years about what a shame it was that the Enertek product line was never released. That's not entirely true. Enertek never released any products (Other than catalogs) itself. However, three of it's kit designs did get to market via other companies. Altered versions of the Enertek Initiator and Strong ARM kits were released by AeroTech and are still available. MRC produced the Ironman model for a few years. :)

The genesis of the MRC Iron Man rocket kit has an interesting history.

Back in 1988 Scott Branche (Rokitflite) and myself were working for a new rocket company named Enertek based in Phoenix, Arizona.

Our supervisor/boss was Bill Stine who had the title of Marketing Director. Gary Rosenfield was Vice-President and Lee Piester was President of the company.

Enertek had been established to bring larger-sized rockets and motors to the mass-market. The company had a very sucessful showing at the HIAA show that year and had taken in millions (That's right) of dollars in orders for the product line.

Even so, several distributors/hobby retailers would not order the product line. To them, model rocketry was 'traditional/small' rockets such as Estes sold. These were customers that Enertek wanted.

So, with that in mind, Scott and I were summoned to Bill's office to talk about the need to create a line of 'smaller' model rocket kits which could be flown on 24mm (E15, E30) and 18mm (To be determined) motors.

Scott was/is a very creative and imaginative person who can design excellent models. Scott came up with designs for 20-24 new 'smaller' Enrtek rocket kits and hand-drew artwork for each one.

One of these was a model named Ironman. It was designed to recall the Centuri Orion kit. All three of us really liked that model and name.

Sadly, Enertek never produced it's original line of products let alone a second series. The company closed up shop and the assets were bought up by one of the Enertek investors who then invested in AeroTech and provided the Enertek assets.

Bill had been hired by MRC to refresh their model rocket line. He recalled the Enertek Ironman model and contacted the Enertek/AeroTech owners to ask if he could release the Ironman kit for MRC. It was agreed and the rest is history.

A few years later MRC left the model rocket buisiness. Bill Stine went on to establish Quest Aerospace. I went back to work for AeroTech to bring out a mid-power model rocket product line the included a few products originally planned for Enertek. Scott went back to the East Coast.

Many folks have commented to me over the years about what a shame it was that the Enertek product line was never released. That's not entirely true. Enertek never released any products (Other than catalogs) itself. However, three of it's kit designs did get to market via other companies. Altered versions of the Enertek Initiator and Strong ARM kits were released by AeroTech and are still available. MRC produced the Ironman model for a few years. :)

... And don't forget... The name came from the old Gregory Peck movie "Marooned" :).

Welcome to the MRC Iron Man (LS 100) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the MRC Iron Man (LS 100) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

MRC: Iron Man: LS 100

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
MRC Iron Man (LS 100) Basic Information.

mrc.gif
Model Rectifier Corporation (MRC)

MODEL NAME: Iron Man Also known as:

NUMBER: LS 100

Introduced: 1988
Final Year:
Designer: Scott Branche

Type: Exotic
Motor Mount: 1x18mm or 1x24mm or 1x18 + 2xFX
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 24"
Diameter: 2"
Span:
Weight: 4 oz

Mfg. Description: Features: 3 pre-cut fins, molded nose cone, kevlar shock cord, 3 FX engine mounts, 3 molded recruits, textured body wraps, ejection baffle, each molded recruit can also hold and FX Engine. (MRC Concept II Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

mrc-iron%20man%20ls100-concept%20ii%20cat.jpg
Concept II Catalog

Face Card(s)

mrc-iron%20man%20ls100-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
I still have two Ironmans, a Flare Patriot, and a Standard ARM in the bubble packs.
Interesting rockets. Interesting history. Thanks.

2011-01-17-Inventory-0081.jpg 2011-01-17-Inventory-0082.jpg 2011-01-17-Inventory-0083.jpg

Last edited:
Back