The pride of the Rodina...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastCargo

Reaction score
Introducing the N-1 (1/144 scale...still a big LPR)...

It's not quite complete yet...still needs the lattice fins built (whether it actually flies with them or not is another story), the 24 first stage engine nacelles built, recovery system installed, detailing the support 'ring' and escape rocket nozzles, final clearcoat, and stability tweaking.

Then she will fly on at least a 'C'...maybe a 'D' or 'E' depending on what OR says...

Sorry for the crappy pic...using the flash turned out ugly, so I went with no flash...resulting in a bit of noise and blur.

I'm hoping I'll be done in time for our club launch in July....

FC

N1.jpg

Very N I C E !

I'll bet that took you a while...

Was that a cardstock model?

Very N I C E !

I'll bet that took you a while...

Was that a cardstock model?

Yep, right here:

https://www.currell.net/models/n1.htm

It's the 1/144 scale version...I'd like to do the 1/96 scale version slightly downsized to 1/100 to put it next to my 1/100 Estes Saturn 5. But after all the work on this one..

Anyway, I've assembled a few LPR models in my time...even the original Estes Skill Level 5 Mercury Redstone (remember that??). This model has proven the most challenging by a significant amount. In between all the cutting (the lattice interstage structures...dear Gawd...), folding, gluing, sanding (using pieces of balsa instead of cardstock), improvising, and finishing, I am REALLY happy to be almost done....

I should get some better pics soon.

FC

Last edited:
A thing of real beauty! I would not fly that for all the tea in china.

A thing of real beauty! I would not fly that for all the tea in china.

No kidding ,what a beautiful piece of work ,congratulations.

That would be in the old rocket "museum" !

Paul T

Sweet jumbalaya, that looks good. I love the look of the Soviet designs. Za Rodina!

I know what you're thinking...I could fit an MMX engine in each of those nacelles...

Just recovery system installation, final stability tweaking, and a clearcoat is all that is left before flight worthiness. The lattice fins still have to be completed, but that's for display only.

FC

IMG_2479_resize.jpg

I know what you're thinking...I could fit an MMX engine in each of those nacelles...

Just recovery system installation, final stability tweaking, and a clearcoat is all that is left before flight worthiness. The lattice fins still have to be completed, but that's for display only.

FC

Are you going to fly it...?!?!:jaw:

She's rigged to fly with either an E9-4 or a D12-3.

OR says she'll do 300 feet with a D12-3 and 550 with an E9-4. I'm planning for the first flight to be on a D12-3.

And...she passed the swing test pretty easily. The rocket is now completely flight ready. Just needs an engine, wadding and talcum powder for the chutes.

Planned launch date will be 16 July 11, at the local club launch.

FC

Gotta fly it! It's not a "real" rocket until it's been flown :)

Back