Upscale Space Shuttle full Stack ????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been working with Boltaron and its equivalents for 30 years. This is what does and doesn't work for me:

Tenax-7r is made for styrene. The model is made of pvc(vinyl). It might work but it also might melt the plastic or even more likely not cut into the plastic enough so that the bond will eventually fail.

Use an adhesive made for pvc(vinyl) plastic.

Clean the parts with a little denatured alcohol before bonding.

Be careful. Too much glue can melt the plastic. The wrong adhesive can make the plastic more brittle. The wrong adhesive won't bond permanently.

I use Plexus MA310
https://www.itwplexus.co.uk/images/uploads/tds/310.pdf

MA 310 is a methacrylate. It is made to glue pvc. It is thickened which is great for gap filling, it can be sanded smooth. It applies with a nice little mixing gun. It is not cheap but it is worth every penny. My shop uses 30 cases of it annually. I buy mine from Curbell plastics you can also get it from On-Hand adhesive, Jamestown Distributors or US Plastics. It requires a dispensing gun($27 from McMaster-Carr)
https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3400/=cgkle7
50 ml adhesive tubes($15 each) and mixing nozzles(.75 each). It is also available in the typical two plunger applicator that has to be mixed and applied. The gun with nozzles make application so easy it is really worth the investment. You can also use the gun for a variety of other adhesives. I love it for 3M epoxies for fin fillets. There are other less expensive methacrylates available that will also work fine.

Other adhesives we have used successfully include VC 1(watery), VC 2(thickened), Devcon plastic welder and plastic welder II, Weld-on 1007 and 2007.

Some CA cements work but they tend to make the plastic more brittle after it cures. 3M and Loctite both make CA cement for pvc.

ALWAYS test on a sample before committing to the finished product. There are plenty of scrap plastic cut aways available with the model to test on.

TOO MUCH glue can destroy the plastic.

THE WRONG solvent base, which is the stuff that cuts into the plastic and evaporates, can destroy the plastic or not cut in enough leaving a poor bond.

Any other questions you have about the plastic or adhesives I will be happy to answer. Just ask here in the forum. If you doubt I know what I am talking about take a look at my company website and see some of the projects we have made with these plastics and adhesives:
https://www.costumearmour.com/cdsamples4.htm

Last edited:
Since I started this I thought I would talk to the manufacturer of the plastic, Boltaron, from whom we buy the plastic. They(probably wisely) do not recommend any specific adhesive. What they do is recommend that you go to the IPScorp website and see which weld-on adhesive best suits your needs for vinyl cement and buy it from them.

This is what I found:

https://www.ipscorp.com/weldon/lowvoc/lowpvc

I have never used any of these particular low voc cements but I thought I should pass on the info.

Good luck to all.

Been working on the tank to orbiter connection. Will add a servo inside the orbiter nose to hold the aluminum flat stock and release with RC control.

bottom.jpg

side.jpg

tank.jpg

rear.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks werewolf. Didn't know if anyone was paying attention.

oh no worries there ... i check this thread at least once a day, and i suspect many others do as well :)

I may need to contact you in the near future about some aluminum fabrication for this interesting project :)

The aluminum has its uses but more and more we are replacing it with lightweight plastic pieces that do the same thing with less weight. Complicated and fun project.

I have always known about you guys but honestly never been to the site before. I just went over for the first time and I gotta say I want that X-15!!!! Man that looks nice! I saw your in orange county NY? That's where I'm from lol how ironic is that! Kewl

You should drive over to Hangar 11 Hobbies in Washingtonville and order one from Bobby

BrianWolfe said:
You should drive over to Hangar 11 Hobbies in Washingtonville and order one from Bobby

I'm in KY now my career brought me here, be a long drive now! ;-p I used to live in ridgebury, small town in slate hill just outside of Middletown...lol but I still want that X-15, site dissent say much could you tell mw a bit about the kit?

X-15 is available in 4" and 6" Diameter versions
Decal sets are optional for both

cockpit molded into the NC.
tail cone
Phenolic body tubes
Laser cut fins and CR.
4" uses vac formed nacelles around the body tube..
6" uses vac formed nacelles and they do not wrap the body tube competely.
4" uses the glueless interlock type CR for fin alignment....
[ the kit uses glue the CR / fin design is borrowed from my glueless HPR kits so its EZ to align the fins]

These are kits for advanced modelers....

If you have any more questions please email me directly at my store or call 845-926-1959

Thank You for your inquiry.

Had an Excellent build session, Raw pics of the orbiter prep are posted on my Hangar 11, Inc. Facebook photo page ---> Atlantis

"Glide ready" orbiter came in at 28 ounces [ no radio gear, no paint and no decals ]

These are RAW pics.... I will be filling in some comments as needed ... right now trying to button things up and complete the decal sheets.
So the full stack can make it to NERRF in a few weeks.....

I'll be posting more pics of the rest of the stack soon....

Vac form only short kits sets are available NOW please visit www.hangar11.com for more details.

I have been answering many quetions on the 4 and 6 inch X-15's.
Both kits are available and normaly take 2-3 weeks ARO to ship.
I do have a 4" in stock ready to go at this time.

Last edited:
Bobby and I had a great afternoon glide testing the new orbiter. I threw it about 20 times. Before we got the CG right I bounced it on its nose, it landed on the rudder, it flipped and landed on the wing tips. I even managed to throw it into two different trees. Each time it came back with no damage. We were confident enough to throw it off my bedroom balcony a few times. The flights were outstanding. Even starting upside down it would flip over fly straight and land smoothly on its belly. Here is a youtube video of one of the balcony glides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeRlkRkJQZg

Add-on notes to Brians post regarding the shuttle glide test...

The project today was 2 fold in the way of results.

1- Durability of the shuttle for glide landings in many situations.
PASSED... ZERO damage after many many initial crashes...

2- Switching to glide.....After launch we do not know what orientation the shuttle will depart from the stack... worst case would be inverted. So we needed to get the shuttle upright and in glide mode......
We used 3 large washers taped on to get the CG right...
[ no radio gear on board.... and NO control surfaces at all not even a trim tab. ] This was 4 parts total. top and bottom of the shuttle and right and left vertical stabilizer. assembled quickly for this test.

Once the CG was correct all of the flights were tossed inverted and we had a 100% roll to upright and smooth landing..... tossed it 12 - 15 times total .

We hit 2 trees with the shuttle tumbling to the grass... no damage
the first 6+ tosses before we got the CG trimed correctly were flat out ugly... nose up sharply, stall and cartwheel into the grass....
NO damage.... much more durable than either of us expected.

No updates at this time. The molds are completed.

I have stock on the wrap sets. see www.hangar11.com for details.

Also have complete shuttle only vacform sets...

Thinking about releasing the shuttle ONLY as a booster glider and / or chute recovery project.

I know things are tough and more difficult projects sometimes get side tracked because the task just seams too daunting at times. While this type of thing just isn't my gig, it's just too good to lose forward progress and half-ass it. I hope you are able to see this thing through even if it doesn't yield any kit sales. Amazing work.

:y:
You bet I'm interested! This would be awesome, Rockets, RC planes, and the space shuttle...three awesome things all rolled into one!

Braden

Back