TLP HARPOON build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better get some pics up (that Pershing build has kept me busy)

Back to the TLP Harpoon......the missile has been primed as well as the nosecone , then a good sanding with a 3M sanding pad 320 grit then tack cloth and gloss white.

Cheers

paul T

phpabpGyJAM.jpg

phpmxLQkPAM.jpg

phpqe7GoBAM.jpg

phpuj2XE9AM.jpg

Paint is done.I used Gloss White ,RustOleum Prefessioal Fast dry enamel.I really like this paint, goes on smoothly ,has great solids content & coverage and a major bonus...it dries fast and cures quickly (although being an enamel ,true full cure probably take weeks if not months)but not an issue here.

I guess it`s decals and stripes and bolt heads next.This may take awhile.So until then...

Salut !

Paul T

phpijhziEAM.jpg

phpKWMYUEAM.jpg

phpLoDbB8AM.jpg

phpSTNZidAM.jpg

phpVepoQJAM.jpg

On the fin mounts ..are the holes for receiving pin heads ? or for detail purposes ?... great job on this one !

On the fin mounts ..are the holes for receiving pin heads ? or for detail purposes ?... great job on this one !

Andy;

At first my intension was to screw tiny little "hobby screws" into each hole (bought a mixed bag of a 1000 from MicroMark.....very handy items)

I`m not sure if I`ll still go that route ,although it would not be all that hard.

You know me ,I`ll probably do it ;)

Paul

Nice job Paul!!! Just got a new scanner/printer so I'll try to scan my Gabriel III directions to file for Zeus-cat.
Jpaw

Just checking back in and saw this. That is a really nice thing to do. I'll send you a PM with my email.

Great job! I'm impressed and your not even finished with it yet. :eyepop:

I just started cutting the stripes for the body.

Charcoal black ,dark blue and brown.Then the bolt heads etc.

Gonna be a day or two ;) I really want to get the Pershing done (90 %) the Harpoon (80 %) and the 12B BullPup (50%) so I can move on to my HP AIM-9Sidewinder project.This is going to be a long build, so I want to start ASAP.

Paul

Hey Zeuscat,the Gabriel III directions have been scanned and sent.Hope I did it right!!!!
Jpaw

Very nice build Paul. I think I am done building until the weather gets warmer, I have probably 10 or more birds waiting for primer and paint. I have to spray outside and in 30 degree temps, it tends to not work out so well. Awesome ideas using the styrene and the mini screws. Can't wait to see it all done.
Matt

Very nice build Paul. I think I am done building until the weather gets warmer, I have probably 10 or more birds waiting for primer and paint. I have to spray outside and in 30 degree temps, it tends to not work out so well. Awesome ideas using the styrene and the mini screws. Can't wait to see it all done.
Matt

Thanks chum !

Pretty cold in my parts ( -1 F lately) but I`m lucky I habve my smaller spray booth ,so I can get things finished.BUT...my HPR projects will not get painted until I can get outside.....late April...May ?

I do indeed hate winter...but it won`t last forever....just seems that way :rolleyes:

Paul

Jeez, I didn't think it thawed out up there till at least June. You must have ice in your veins to be able to live up there. I have a friend that goes on hunting trips up there and he tells me how brutal it is. Here I am crying about 20's and 30's, LOL. I figured you had some sort of booth or somewhere to paint. My wife would kill me if I tried to do anything like that inside, I don't even have a garage I could use. My youngest little guy has asthma too, so that really is my biggest concern. I still have some things to sand and smooth out to keep me a little busy over the next couple of months, plus the ski resort in our back yard(not really, but like 5 min away) is covered with the white stuff and the kids are chomping at the bit to go snowboarding.
Have a good one and try to stay warm in the great white north.
Matt

Jeez, I didn't think it thawed out up there till at least June. You must have ice in your veins to be able to live up there. I have a friend that goes on hunting trips up there and he tells me how brutal it is. Here I am crying about 20's and 30's, LOL. I figured you had some sort of booth or somewhere to paint. My wife would kill me if I tried to do anything like that inside, I don't even have a garage I could use. My youngest little guy has asthma too, so that really is my biggest concern. I still have some things to sand and smooth out to keep me a little busy over the next couple of months, plus the ski resort in our back yard(not really, but like 5 min away) is covered with the white stuff and the kids are chomping at the bit to go snowboarding.
Have a good one and try to stay warm in the great white north.
Matt

I wear shorts in the house and when i shovel the driveway.....I am very warm blooded.Come May, things are warm....but July & August can be downright boiling....not as bad as people think.

I have asthma also ,pretty much all my life , the booth is vented directly outside, but indeed, I prefer to spray potside.

Cheers

Paul

We're having to run the air conditioner today here SW of Houston... not so much that it's too warm (it's about 70 or so) but the humidity is downright nasty... makes the house damp and dank and icky...

Where's our cold weather?? It's January for pity's sake! While we were in Indiana for Christmas, my sister called my wife and they were talking about how my sister was rushing home, hopefully before her pie melted-- it was 82 degrees!!!

Don't care where ya are, 82 is NUTS for December!!!

later! OL JR :)

I need a Sodmeister fix. What's up with the Harpoon?

Almost done Marlin ,just need a clear coat and pics will be up this weekend.Took me 3 days for all those dots and had to make my own decals.But I had some great reference material ,so that helped.....but those dots.....oh...so many dots !

Stay tuned.

PS- Pershing is almost done also, just two more details and all will be revealed :D

Cheers

paul

Last edited:

Here you go.I used my pin vise nad drilled out all the holes (40) and added little tiny screws.

Yah...talk about OCD :D

phpbtYuqOPM.jpg

phpktiU9yPM.jpg

phps38m0vPM.jpg

phpZSu1JQPM.jpg

Nice Job !

can you give some more info on the bolts? source?.

it's got to better than cutting pins, as many of the directions recommend

Amazing. You don't know how much I have been enjoying your threads.

Now boys boys....you`re all making me blush :blush: BUT my lack of getting those spirals and BT`s perfectly smooth keeps me humble at times.

Thankyou for all the nice comments.

More pictures are comming ,then i have to work on that BullPup.

Paul

Nice Job !

can you give some more info on the bolts? source?.

it's got to better than cutting pins, as many of the directions recommend

Andy ,I bought the tiny scres from MicroMark.They came in an assoertment package of a 1000. They have some really cool stuff there for model making....a very good resource for you guys in the United States as they always have deals and free shipping offers.

Paul

83438_T.jpg

Last edited:
ahh so they are actual metal screws, I was looking for plastic/molded screws.
thanks for the tip.. stunning job on the model !

ahh so they are actual metal screws, I was looking for plastic/molded screws.
thanks for the tip.. stunning job on the model !

Oh indeed ! You might also want to buy some eyeglasses (I acyually did buy some 3x power reading glasses for this work at the dollar store)

But I have many a time used styrene rods cut up to make bolt heads also....works very well.

You should check out MicroMark ,it may give you some ideas for detailing.

Take care

Paul

I have the bands on now.I used MonoKote in Charcoal Black ,Dark Navy Blue and Brown from Stickershock (Mark)
These are the colors I found on line from some good sources and pictures.Of course,there are many variants as i found,but this is the most common.

Paul

phpBGNlVxAM.jpg

phpCks0qqAM.jpg

phpkxYHC5AM.jpg

phpNF4VUyAM.jpg

phpzYYlxiAM.jpg

Finished...all the dots are on and the t`s crossed ! According to my sources ,I think I got all the dots on and in place....sheesh !

OBTW-Dots by Stickershock23 (thanks Mark) The small lettering decals I made myself with Testors decal paper and my inkjet along with Wordpad.

I have 3 sets of assorted pics ,closeups and 360 ° shots .The last set are my "GLAMOUR" shots :eek:

Thanks for looking !

Sincerely

Paul T

phpcLsijHAM.jpg

phpe9d5hlAM.jpg

phpEVAbNBAM.jpg

phpimIHp4AM.jpg

phpiRMqvlAM.jpg

Last edited:
Lookin good! I have started a build on this one along with several others. Not showing much on the forum because I won't spray anything until the weather warms.

Back