Estes E2X.... ON STEROIDS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwalsh85

Reaction score
So...

This kind of should be cross posted between the Low Power and Mid power forums... but since the intended use will be midpower, I posted here.

I came across a few 18mm Aerotech F motors a while back... And I've been thinking about what to do with them.

Decided to pick up an Estes E2X over the weekend. I carefully perused the selection at Hobby Lobby, looking for a durable rocket that can be flown repeatedly, and take some abuse. The molded fin can was the winner.

I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to put an Altimeter2 in there for purposes of monitoring altitude/performance of the F motor.

What else should I consider doing with this lil' guy?

-Walsh

Which one did you get? I think the E2X kits use the "teabag" mount for the shock cord; tying a piece of Kevlar cord to the motor mount will be stronger and less likely to snag on deployment

I gotta ask, what is an 18mm Aerotech F motor? I thought at best they were D's in the 18mm size.

A fairly rugged and stable 18mm E2X with a nice clear payload bay is the Sky Trax. A longer payload bay version is the Outlaw, but it isn't clear. You could add the necessary clay nose weight to balance things out and still have room for a JL A2.

I gotta ask, what is an 18mm Aerotech F motor? I thought at best they were D's in the 18mm size.

AeroTech produced some 18mm diameter E45 and F55 motors in the early 1990s.

The E45 was certified by the NAR, TRA certified the F55.

I flew an E45 and F55 at LDRS-8.

Fun motors but a very limited market for them.

Skytrax is an RTF....and does not lend itself to longer motors without extensive internal rework (plastic fin can with motor supported by ribs). Bob or Mike - how long are these 18mm Fs?

So...

This kind of should be cross posted between the Low Power and Mid power forums... but since the intended use will be midpower, I posted here.

I came across a few 18mm Aerotech F motors a while back... And I've been thinking about what to do with them.

Decided to pick up an Estes E2X over the weekend. I carefully perused the selection at Hobby Lobby, looking for a durable rocket that can be flown repeatedly, and take some abuse. The molded fin can was the winner.

I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to put an Altimeter2 in there for purposes of monitoring altitude/performance of the F motor.

What else should I consider doing with this lil' guy?

-Walsh

When you say E2X do you mean the Estes Generic E2X kit ?

est2008.jpg

The fin can to airframe joint is the weak link I think, so rough up the plastic and get a good epoxy bond. Paint it orange, mylar streamer, and many offerings to the rocket gods for the safe return of the electronics are the only other things I can think of... maybe a big ole rebel yell when that thing teleports across the 8th dimension ! :)

Skytrax is an RTF....and does not lend itself to longer motors without extensive internal rework (plastic fin can with motor supported by ribs). Bob or Mike - how long are these 18mm Fs?

Sorry, didn't know the length of the 18mm motors when replying. Yes, you'd need to do some mods.

When you say E2X do you mean the Estes Generic E2X kit ?

View attachment 284732

The fin can to airframe joint is the weak link I think, so rough up the plastic and get a good epoxy bond. Paint it orange, mylar streamer, and many offerings to the rocket gods for the safe return of the electronics are the only other things I can think of... maybe a big ole rebel yell when that thing teleports across the 8th dimension ! :)

Yep, that's the one.

I left my F55's in my other motor box at my parent's. I'll get it next time I'm there to move more stuff over to my house.

Should be an interesting flight.

The F55 is 5 3/8 inches long.

The E45 is 4 1/8 inches long.

Back