Mile high Rocket suggestions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTH28890

Reaction score
What’s a good high power rocket that can go Mach 1 and over 1 mile in altitude? Yea, I know stuff a big enough motor in most min. diameter rockets and you can do this, but does anyone have any particular favorites and why? My limitations are a L or lower motor and a 10,000 foot wavier.

There are many options here. One fairly cheap one is a LOC Weasel built without the motor mount and a couple layers of fiberglass on the fins. You will find a number of 38mm motors that will achieve your goals.

Punisher on a J should do the job nicely...I'm thinking of making a trip to a field with a higher waiver just to do that. :grin:

Also CzTeacherMan has it in his sig! "First Mile+ and Mach+ - 9/25/2015 Wildman Punisher CTI J360Sk"

Thrustcurve Motor Guide is your friend. Use it to filter through airframe diameters and motors. Then, use RS, OR, RasAero to dial in your design and launch conditions. Simulate, simulate, simulate, then purchase, then build. In that order.

Here is a good engineering process to follow:

I assume you are carrying an altimeter (any will work for altitude, accelerometers are best for speed) and a tracker would be wise. So, your starting point is your payload design, which then leads to your airframe diameter. Once you have an airframe picked out, then simulate a design with a reasonable mass. Finally, simulate the motors needed to achieve your goals. Give yourself 10%-20% margin to account for all the variation in motor thrust and aerodynamic drag that occurs in the real world. As a Level 2, you have hundreds of possibilities. For me, this process led to:

1 mile goal: LOC Vulcanite on I216: 7700 ft

2 mile goal: Wildman Blackhawk 38 on J394 : 12,000 ft

Speed goals: None. Doesn't interest me. Hard to observe and measure.

Good luck.

I know I keep suggesting it, but I think it's perfect for Mach/Mile shots. 2.6" Madcow Screech. 38mm mount. Loki K1127, 8750' 826 MPH

16792069024_5579d93848_c.jpg

17772071686_b19e3d2372_z.jpg
19172064739_995ed9b287.jpg

Last edited:
I did Mach 1+ in my Wildman PunisheR .

In my opinion, most versitile kit out .. can fly on a H or an L .

Kenny

What’s a good high power rocket that can go Mach 1 and over 1 mile in altitude? Yea, I know stuff a big enough motor in most min. diameter rockets and you can do this, but does anyone have any particular favorites and why? My limitations are a L or lower motor and a 10,000 foot wavier.

What rockets do you have now? You might be surprised what they will do with the right motor. My L2 bird was a 4" diameter scratch built with 4 fins and a 54mm MMT. I put a CTI Pro54 L935 in it trying for 10K ft. It got over Mach at 874 mph but was short of the 10K at only 9,559 ft. It weighed 15 lbs, 6 oz. on the pad. Very Cool flight!

what motor hardware do you have? or do you want to buy new motor hardware too?

Couple of ideas:
if you want to go 54mm, I've flown a Binder Design 2014 NXRS RTV kit to 9550' and ~925mph on a K375.
If you want to do 38mm, most 54mm rockets can manage this on a mid-sized I. I've flown a Darkstar Jr to ~6500' (IIRC) on a J350, and it literally disappeared on a J570 (I'm still looking for it). I've also done a Scarab 54 to 4900' on an I59, or the same to 5400' on an I366 (I'm being a bit more conservative with the motors on this one). Any decent-thrust motor will get it past mach, I'm certain.

Play with OR or RS, etc. The sims aren't perfect, but they're definitely in the right ballpark.

-e

A PML Sudden Rush will easily do a mile on a big I or most any J.

Edit: I would only do that in the glassed/phenolic variant. QT will happily disassemble itself going transonic.

Last edited:
I flew my RW X-Celerator to over 6k feet with a CTI K600. Biggest motor it will take (CTI) is an L935. That should get close to 10k feet.

It is really all about impulse-to-drag ratio. And it has to be built well enough not to shred.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. The biggest case I have now is a CTI 5 grain 38. I think this goal is a good reason to get something in a 54mm. My only high power rocket that I have is a super DX3 that I got my level 1 and 2 with in a DD configuration. I am currently leaning in the direction of a Punisher with a jolly logic Chute Release.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. The biggest case I have now is a CTI 5 grain 38. I think this goal is a good reason to get something in a 54mm. My only high power rocket that I have is a super DX3 that I got my level 1 and 2 with in a DD configuration. I am currently leaning in the direction of a Punisher with a jolly logic Chute Release.

Dude, a 38 5g will take a 54mm thin wall fiberglass kit way over a mile. And a 6xl will bust mach easy.

Any Pro38-5G reload (except for the 567II125 long burn - not enough thrust) in a 2 pound (empty) 38 mm (1.6") MD rocket such as the Godevil38 will exceed mach and 1 mile (apogees will exceed 8 kft. but could exceed 10 kft) You can get a 1G spacer and use many of the 4G reloads to break mach and 1 mile while comfortably staying below 10 kft. You need twice the total impulse and twice the thrust to do the same flight in a 4 pound (empty) 54 mm (2.3") rocket. Some of the reloads for a P38-6GXL casing will get you there, but it's easier with a Pro54 motor (3G or 4G depending on reload).

Bob

I also confirm the numbers possible on 38mm5G. I did my L2 that way, nearly 8000 feet and 1100mph on a Nuke Pro Max. That is not even minimum diameter!

You could with the Wildman Jr. It has a 38mm mmt, all FG. Great kit, should do what you want.

Punisher on a J should do the job nicely...I'm thinking of making a trip to a field with a higher waiver just to do that. :grin:

Also CzTeacherMan has it in his sig! "First Mile+ and Mach+ - 9/25/2015 Wildman Punisher CTI J360Sk"

Exactly what I was thinking. :)

I know I keep suggesting it, but I think it's perfect for Mach/Mile shots. 2.6" Madcow Screech. 38mm mount. Loki K1127, 8750' 826 MPH

16792069024_5579d93848_c.jpg

17772071686_b19e3d2372_z.jpg
19172064739_995ed9b287.jpg

Nice finish! BTW, you should buy another and stuff a L935 in it.:wink:

I hit these two goals with a K motor in a 4" fiberglass rocket.

The motor was a K740 C-star and the rocket was the Apogee/Madcow Level-2. The flight was my L2 cert to 6,000' and Mach 1. Three milestones hit in one flight.

I hit these two goals with a K motor in a 4" fiberglass rocket.

The motor was a K740 C-star and the rocket was the Apogee/Madcow Level-2. The flight was my L2 cert to 6,000' and Mach 1. Three milestones hit in one flight.

Aw, that's like having your first date, first kiss, and first ... you know what ... on the same night! Spread it out a little, man! :grin:

There are many options here. One fairly cheap one is a LOC Weasel built without the motor mount and a couple layers of fiberglass on the fins. You will find a number of 38mm motors that will achieve your goals.
I did just shy of 6000' with a stock weasel and an CTI H100 something; the airframe was stressed, but it was still flyable.

Glassing it and flying it on an H255 should reliably meet the OP's requirements.

Aw, that's like having your first date, first kiss, and first ... you know what ... on the same night! Spread it out a little, man! :grin:

Wasn't trying to, I wanted to break 1 mile, but OR said slower than Mach.

Latest posts

Back