MAC Performance Rocketry New Release -- ETHOS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike2wander

MAC Performance Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
ETHOS -- Small in Size, Big in Performance!

Ethos is 4 inches in diameter and stands only 46 inches tall with tailcone. It can be flown in single stage or as full-up dual deploy. The nosecone has a full length 3" compartment with harness that doubles as the payload section for your recovery components. The booster features our three piece centering ring set with integrated harness. The 54mm motor mount with tailcone will let you fly H through K motors. Ethos has flown in dual deploy to 9800 feet on a CTI K400. Remove the electronics bay and add a motor adaptor and it will fly on the smallest of H motors. Perfect for both L1 and L2 certification.

IMG_20150924_181622_396.jpg www.macperformancerocketry.com

Mike Crupe
MAC Performance Rocketry
L3 NAR/TRA
FLY CANVAS!

Saw it fly on the K400 in person...really great flying rocket!

Some very cool engineering went into packing DD into such a small form factor; it rips on 54mm L2 motors and yet is nimble enough to fly L1 motors quite easily!

I've played with this thing a couple of times now.... Mike didn't wander very far from it when I was around :) This is a really really slick design.

I wish I would have snuck some photos of it, the nosecone and avbay are set up in a really cool way that words just don't describe. It's super compact.

I would love to see some detail pics. I have a thing for the short and stubby rockets.

Awesome design! Is the tail cone a standard Aeropack retainer? Would a normal Aeropack work, or limit the motors to 3 grain instead?

Also, out of curiosity, is that a 3" Avbay inside the payload tube, or does it use a 4" Avbay?

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. You definitely have something with my name on it and I think it might be a 3" Scorpion first though. I'm not sure I am ready for 54mm stuff yet.

Awesome design! Is the tail cone a standard Aeropack retainer? Would a normal Aeropack work, or limit the motors to 3 grain instead?

Also, out of curiosity, is that a 3" Avbay inside the payload tube, or does it use a 4" Avbay?

The tail cone retainer is an Aeropack, and without it you are limited to a 3 grain. But.......we can always add 2.5" to the booster tube and a standard Aeropack so you can still cook a 4 grain.

The avbay is a 3" coupler tube. This allows the forward end of the avbay to protrude into the opening of the 3" air frame tube used to make the nosecone bay. That saves a huge amount of space.

www.macperformancerocketry.com
Mike Crupe
MAC Performance Rocketry
L3 NAR/TRA

FLY CANVAS!

Last edited:
The tail cone retainer is an Aeropack, and without it you are limited to a 3 grain. But.......we can always add 2.5" to the booster tube and a standard Aeropack so you can still cook a 4 grain.

The avbay is a 3" coupler tube. This allows the forward end of the avbay to protrude into the opening of the 3" air frame tube used to make the nosecone bay. That saves a huge amount of space.

Mike Crupe
MAC Performance Rocketry
L# NAR/TRA

FLY CANVAS!

Thanks! Sounds like a very space efficient design. Could you swap the electronics sled with other 3" rockets then?

Last edited:
Very tempted to pull the trigger. Question.....that's some nice paint on that. Automotive?

Dave

Ok...thought hard...did some begging to the hubby...and bought it! So excited for this build!

Very tempted to pull the trigger. Question.....that's some nice paint on that. Automotive?

Dave

Saw this up in Potter a couple months ago, incredibly cool! My son wants to get his Jr L1 and L2 next year, his L2 will be with one of Mikes kits-maybe this one now, he really liked the Scorpion as well. Thing was beautiful, almost jewel-like, like all of Mikes builds. one hell of a craftsman!

Thanks one more time Mike for another great addition to your fleet.
Nobody builds rockets like you.
You are a pro.

Saw this up in Potter a couple months ago, incredibly cool! My son wants to get his Jr L1 and L2 next year, his L2 will be with one of Mikes kits-maybe this one now, he really liked the Scorpion as well. Thing was beautiful, almost jewel-like, like all of Mikes builds. one hell of a craftsman!

Thanks Dan!

Let me know when he's ready. We'll make him that special Scorpion W/ extended booster so he won't outgrow it to fast..............or we can stretch an ETHOS. :grin:

Mike Crupe
MAC Performance Rocketry
L3 NAR/TRA

FLY CANVAS!

Last edited:
Thanks one more time Mike for another great addition to your fleet.
Nobody builds rockets like you.
You are a pro.

As always, Thank you Tom!

Our first season has been crazy. We'll be releasing one more kit before the Holidays along with 38 & 54mm nosecone bays to fit both our 3 & 4" kits. Also available in the next couple weeks will be our 3 & 4" Piston Deployment kits. I can't thank the rocket community enough for the support/feedback we have been receiving. I almost forgot............we are working on developing 54mm tube, Yup!

Mike Crupe
MAC Performance Rocketry
L3 NAR TRA

FLY CANVAS!

Nice addition, Mike. I noticed that you added phenolic plate to the site, thanks!

One suggestion for the fin jigs is that if you make the 3-fin jig hexagonal and the 4-fin jig octagonal, they can be used to rest the rocket in orientations for inside fillets (there is a flat between and tangent to each fin).

finguide1.jpg
finguide2.jpg

Nice addition, Mike. I noticed that you added phenolic plate to the site, thanks!

One suggestion for the fin jigs is that if you make the 3-fin jig hexagonal and the 4-fin jig octagonal, they can be used to rest the rocket in orientations for inside fillets (there is a flat between and tangent to each fin).

finguide1.jpg
finguide2.jpg

John,

Great idea on the fin jigs. Starting with the next batch they will be Hexagonal and Octagonal. Thanks for the positive feed back!

Mike Crupe
MAC Performance Rocketry
L# NAR/TRA

FLY CANVAS!

finguide1.jpg
finguide2.jpg

Smart.

I have to say, Mike's kits are so easy to build that it is a no-brainer that I am going to do my Level 3 on one.

The parts fit together flawlessly. I didn't have to sand anything to get it to fit.

The fin cans are easy to foam, providing more strength with very little tail weight.

They are smooth and take paint very well. No spirals.

Never had a bur on a fin, or a bad cut. And they are as string as FG but lighter than thinwall.

I have to say, Mike's kits are so easy to build that it is a no-brainer that I am going to do my Level 3 on one.

The parts fit together flawlessly. I didn't have to sand anything to get it to fit.

The fin cans are easy to foam, providing more strength with very little tail weight.

Never had a bur on a fin, or a bad cut. And they are as string as FG but lighter than thinwall.

Thanks John!

Let us know when your ready to do your L3 and we'll put a cert package together for you.

www.macperformacerocketry.com

Mike Crupe
MAC Performance Rocketry
L3 NAR / TRA

FLY CANVAS!

hmmmm....L3 on a lightweight 4" airframe. Should be interesting, John. I wanna watch!

I think that would be worth a trip up to MD...

I love these kits!

Cheers,
Michael

Back