• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

3D Printed Eggfinder LCD Case

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great sale Kyle! I went thru a lot of trouble putting my first unit together and finding a case I liked. Your case is super easy to assemble and looks very nice. One thing I would like would be a belt clip or a hook for lanyard.

I say go for it people if you want a slide-in solution for the EF LCD. I did figure out how to place the spacers on the two boards so they'd stay in place while putting the screws in. I use a little dab of silicone sealer like that used to seal shower stalls and such on the LCD board and let sit face down overnite. The Silicone sealer gets tacky to hold the blue board spacers in place. I take the push button out of the case, lay the LCD down in it, with the handle unattached sight through to bottom hole to plug it all in. I then attach the handle and wire everything up like shown in the photos of the yellow case above.

Yeah, I'll have to to it all again as I discovered a glitch in my LCD display. It will mysteriously go blank for no reason. I've jiggled it and messed with the connector. The positions still come across the log screen on GPS Rocket Locator on my Nexus 7 2013. Cris is going to send me a new LCD with header and I'll try that. Once it goes blank, it doesn't come back on until I turn it off and recycle. Then it will stay on for awhile and go out again after a varying period of time. All the while it still sends vailid packets across the B/T/serial link. Kurt Savegnago

Thank you for all the positive comments! All of these sales help my wife and I pay for college! So we thank you!

Anyone care to post the dimensions of the battery compartment? I've heard a 1200mah 2s will fit and I would like to have a battery here when I get the case.

I'll measure and do a picture of the one I have that fits. It's 1200Mah. The handle is ovoid so I did a trial and error fit of some packs I had on hand. Kurt
Thanks kurt, that would be great.

I can get the dimensions tonight once I get off, of work. I put a 2S 750mah battery and that typically lasts one launch.

But there is room for me then what I use.

The handle is elliptical. It measures 1.55in X 0.85in, and the handle is 3.9 inches in length.

Now here goes with the pictures:

Click on them to blow them up.

bat1.jpgbat2.jpgbat3.jpgbat4.jpgbat5.jpgbat6.jpg
Thanks kurt, that would be great.

Upper leftmost picture, the 1.5 pack to the right is not "fitable" scratch it.
The 1.5amp-hr pack to the left of it I find out tonight is "fitable" with measurements
of 84X34X14mm with a hobby king link here: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...h_1500mAh_2S1P_20_40C_Lipo_Receiver_Pack.html
You want the biggest pack to fit in the handle, go no further, this is it until they compress something smaller.
The two packs to the left of the 1500mah one are two "Mystery" 2S packs from Deal Extreme.
Probably listed in "Chinese" mah and are more likely 1000mah. They are 68X30X20mm by my micrometer. They fit with room to spare.

Next two photos to the right show one of the 1200mah "Mystery" packs in the handle. Plenty of room to stuff wires in there.

The next three photos starting at the right and going down show the 1500mah pack in the handle. Just enough room in the box and the handle for all my wires so it fits and it's the maximum I can find so far.

So.............The 1500mah short, squat pack on the right nix it right off. The two 1200mah packs will work with room to spare and the 1500mah pack I found the link to will fit but without any spare room. The unit is quite "handle heavy" with the 1500mah pack as compared to the 1200mah (more likely 1000mah) but if you need the most absolute longest run time or need to run the LCD backlight for a long period of time at night it's the best that can be had for now.

Make the handle a "hair" longer and it will be more compatible for the longer runtime battery.
Also Kyle might want to consider if possible, to extend that flare out a bit for those two screws that secure the handle into the main box so there is more purchase. Would be more robust in the long run. Chip off one piece where the screw attaches and the whole case might be toasted.

Kurt Savegnago

I understand your concern with the #2-56 screw hole for the handle. I do know that breaking the plastic in that small area is rather difficult unless you have a sharp knife or you bash the handle against a hard surface. I am confident in the handle and that is why I use the enclosure myself, I originally designed it for personal use and then I got asked by numerous people to print them one.

So I figured I would print some for TRF for an extremely low price, this unit comes with all the switches and hardware you need. If you were to go out and purchase similar case it would cost you anywhere from $25.00 and $40.00, you then have to purchase the switches and make any changes to fit the Eggfinder equipment. This enclosure was designed to be simple and easy to use.

In the future I may have additions to add to the case such as a way to support a belt clip, but I am swamped with school and have no time to design or test print. So if anyone is interested in a unit please send me a PM. If anyone would like more detailed photos or anything I am here to answer your questions.

Hi Kyle,

I still think it's pretty darned good as is. Nothing wrong with tweaking it and don't take my comments as some sort of a diatribe. They aren't. I'm no printing expert so don't know what's possible or not with the material. As far as a belt clip goes, I've never found one on any radio that I like. I have an old style flip phone that I bought an aftermarket case that has an inter-locking tab on the belt case. That case isn't going anywhere. I've lost two phones from slipping off a belt with cases of simpler design. One phone I subsequently ran over with an SUV and the other one is lying in the dirt in a Central Illinois farm field/launchsite. Since they're $20.00 subscription phones I didn't have any concern whatsoever because I can turn them off from a computer now. Most belt clips slip off too easily and I wouldn't want to drop the case on something hard. With more individuals who have "ample girth" (I'm not in that category as my body mass index is in the normal range.) it's more of a problem with anything that has a belt clip to slip off. If one stuffs that heavier battery in the handle, with more mass there's more chance of something breaking if it lands on something hard.

I'd suggest if the material is strong enough, to integrate a lanyard tab. If it's not, then just leave it the same.

I will make a suggestion to a user to use a JST connector like I did so one can easily pull it out and charge the pack without taking the handle off. Remove the four case screws, take off the back and pull out the charge socket. If using the 1500mah 2S pack one might not need an extension but it's easier to leave the battery connected and use a "freer" socket to connect the charger to. Also I'd recommend if a user wants to be able to balance charge the pack in-situ to get an extension cable for the balance port of their charger. Anything to avoid
having to remove the handle once the pack is in place.

For long life, avoid dropping, leaving out in high heat and minimize multiple removals of the handle. If one needs to remove the handle, hold the case between the legs with the handle up
and remove the screws. One wants to avoid the case slipping with one screw out and the other partially unscrewed. An unbalanced force could snap the material from around the screw and that might mean one would have to permanently epoxy the handle to the case to make it serviceable. Of course that would mean no easy access to the enclosed battery pack so simply be careful.

If I were to get a 3rd LCD unit, I would buy another one of these cases from Kyle.
(Different color for variety) :)

Sheesh, I may have to do that as my second unit in the yellow case, the screen will go mysteriously blank after it's been on for awhile. The data still comes in over the bluetooth
link to GPS Rocket Locator and if I turn it off/on the screen comes back up, only to go blank at some indeterminate time later. It's not the connector and Cris says it's probably a bad LCD. He's sending me another one with a header. If that's not it, I'll drop the screen out of my
"good" unit in the black case and if the same behavior is seen, will assume I messed up something on the main board.

Oh, FWIW my unit with B/T, 1500mah battery, antenna and ready to go weighs 255 grams or about 9 ounces.

Kurt Savegnago

Last edited:
I put an eyebolt in the bottom piece of the handle, and keep mine on a lanyard around my neck:
IMG_6110.jpg

To me, the weak point in Kyle's design is the little clips that hold that bottom plate in place. I broke one of those just putting it together. So I used packing tape to hold it in place and keep it around my neck. I'm running out of places to clip and hang stuff!

I put an eyebolt in the bottom piece of the handle, and keep mine on a lanyard around my neck:

To me, the weak point in Kyle's design is the little clips that hold that bottom plate in place. I broke one of those just putting it together. So I used packing tape to hold it in place and keep it around my neck. I'm running out of places to clip and hang stuff!

Good idea. Perhaps epoxy the bottom plate in place? If one uses an eyebolt, would likely need to use the 1000mah battery pack as the 1500mah one takes a lot of space. Maybe could get away with a small eyebolt since not dealing the shock of ejection!:tongue:

Kurt

Any update on when the next batch including the black ones will be available?

Al,

To each his own but set one down in the dirt while taming the parachute blowing in the wind of that rocket you're trying to recover, it might disappear.:wink:

But if out on the light colored or white playa, black would stand out. Me I got yellow but red might be the best for visibility if one absent-mindedly sets the unit down. Certainly don't think a camo-case would be adviseable! :surprised: Kurt

Any update on when the next batch including the black ones will be available?

Expect a PM tonight or tomorrow. Everything is printed I just have to install all the hardware.

Also I will respond to everyone else tonight when I am in front of a computer.

Hi Kyle,
Kurt Savegnago

Kurt, please understand I am not easily offended. I know your comments are just stating what you think about the unit. In no way does that offend me in any way, I was just stating from my standpoint on how I think the handle will hold up over long periods of use. Out of anyone using the unit I have used it the longest and have dropped it numerous times and used it in the Arizona heat and Black Rock conditions. That is why I can say I believe the $35.00 you invest in this makes it a great choice.

Wayne, I wish you would have said something sooner! I may have a surprise for you if you attend the launch on 01/02/2015, I am going to try to design and print my idea for a belt loop/attachment point for a lanyard/sling. You are the perfect one to test it! In the mean time, let me get you a new end cap, your unit was a earlier version and the version I sell now has huge legs on the endcap.

Finally, it goes without saying that if anyone has a part that breaks or is disfunctional, please let me know so we can work something out. There is a reason I include my cell phone and personal email on the instruction sheet, because I want to be here to help you. I am selling these because I love rocketry and the community. I am not making a lot of money on these I do it to give back to the community.

Last edited:
I'd buy another one and might anyways. Don't worry. The lanyard thing I think is most workable. I like Wayne's arrangement. Once I get my LCD fixed am going to look at that angle and see if I can leave the large pack in with an eyebolt on the bottom.
Kurt Savegnago

I'm all about making things work, and mine works just fine. We will be at the next TRA/PHX launch unless it's freezing. Sharon draws the line at 32*, if it's colder than that, we don't camp out. I would be glad to test anything you come up with. I still haven't built Sharon's LCD RX yet, you sent her a blue case a while back.

PM's sent for those who requested black. I am working on the white enclosure currently, those should be done early to mid next week.

Thank you.

I would be willing to buy the new part for the lanyard at the next launch. I will be there Thursday till Sunday and hope it stays above 32*. I got beans coming! BTW mine is red.

I would be willing to buy the new part for the lanyard at the next launch. I will be there Thursday till Sunday and hope it stays above 32*. I got beans coming! BTW mine is red.

Well I have not begun to design it and test it just yet, I was going to test it with Wayne and if he approves then I might start selling it.

Anyone who paid for their unit over the last day, your unit has been packaged and will be shipped tomorrow.

Just a friendly reminder, tomorrow is the last day to claim your free shipping.

The last of the preordered units will be shipped today.

Right now, I have 1 Black Case and 1 White Case available for immediate purchase. If you are interested in a different color please send me a PM.

Received my case today. Thank you BLKKROW for the fast shipping. Thank you ksaves2 you are the man, I also received the Turnigy Nano-tech 1500mah battery today and it fits like a glove in the handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back