• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

3D Printed Eggfinder LCD Case

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My case turned out great! Thanks for an excellent product! The provided spacers however were about 3/32" too short so I replaced them with some 1/2" long spacers sanded down to .455-.460" long. I decided to use a momentary button for the backlight switch. A 1200mah NiMH battery from my 1/16 Grave Digger truck fits perfectly into the handle.

20160220_202219-1.jpg20160220_150716.jpg20160220_115351.jpg

My case turned out great! Thanks for an excellent product! The provided spacers however were about 3/32" too short so I replaced them with some 1/2" long spacers sanded down to .455-.460" long. I decided to use a momentary button for the backlight switch. A 1200mah NiMH battery from my 1/16 Grave Digger truck fits perfectly into the handle.

View attachment 283491View attachment 283492View attachment 283493

I am glad you like it! By chance can I use your photos on my website? I have been looking to get customers photos lately.

I am glad you like it! By chance can I use your photos on my website? I have been looking to get customers photos lately.

Certainly! Here's a few more. I ended up running two JST connectors thru the handle. One goes to the switch and the other ties to the battery. It's designed to facilitate easy charging. I didn't like the idea of needing to remove the back to charge it or cutting another hole for a charge jack so this was a simple solution.

20160220_202227.jpg20160220_174952.jpg145661670696455228507.jpg

Certainly! Here's a few more. I ended up running two JST connectors thru the handle. One goes to the switch and the other ties to the battery. It's designed to facilitate easy charging. I didn't like the idea of needing to remove the back to charge it or cutting another hole for a charge jack so this was a simple solution.

View attachment 283554View attachment 283555View attachment 283556

Thank you! I would just like to warn you about the cap that snaps onto the handle. I never remove mine was it was built to never be removed so if you are going to do please be careful! It was designed for the handle to be removed from the two 2-56 screws.

For anyone watching here is a little teaser on the upcoming accessories:

https://i.imgur.com/YRJy3Qi.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! I would just like to warn you about the cap that snaps onto the handle. I never remove mine was it was built to never be removed so if you are going to do please be careful! It was designed for the handle to be removed from the two 2-56 screws.

For anyone watching here is a little teaser on the upcoming accessories:

https://i.imgur.com/YRJy3Qi.jpg
I think it easier to remove the cap on the bottom of the handle to access the battery. I had trouble removing the handle the first time I tried. The little pem nut which was inside the case popped off. I glued it back in place and decided to never take the handle off again and just pop the end off the get at the battery. That handle part really needs to be beefed up or something.

So I have gotten good feedback on the belt clip/lanyard hook so I have been printing them in bulk over the last few days and soon they will be released. I have a few more colors to print before I release them to prevent delays in shipping.

So I have gotten good feedback on the belt clip/lanyard hook so I have been printing them in bulk over the last few days and soon they will be released. I have a few more colors to print before I release them to prevent delays in shipping.

Pictures or it didn't happen! :wink:

Curious, Have you done a range check with the antenna paralleling the board like shown in the picture?
Might attenuate your range. Kurt

Here are some actual photos for reference. Please excuse the non-matching colors, I have not printed red just yet.

This will be sold as a kit which includes the belt clip, lanyard/attachment point, new back-plate and hardware. The price is still TBD but I will sell it at a special low rate for the first month.

Anyone have any questions?

20160306_164230.jpg

20160306_164348.jpg

20160306_164740.jpg

20160306_165013.jpg

Great "hands free" solution, I will get some pictures of my setup.

Curious, Have you done a range check with the antenna paralleling the board like shown in the picture?
Might attenuate your range. Kurt

No, they antenna is movable and it's just in that position for the photo.

I'm not having much luck getting my android phone to lock on to the HC-06 BT on the receiver. It wants to read the phones GSP instead. I've tried Bluetooth GPS, Polaris Nava gator and Rocket Locator, the later being the only that reliably reads the Eggfinder. Any suggestions anyone?

No, they antenna is movable and it's just in that position for the photo.

I'm not having much luck getting my android phone to lock on to the HC-06 BT on the receiver. It wants to read the phones GSP instead. I've tried Bluetooth GPS, Polaris Nava gator and Rocket Locator, the later being the only that reliably reads the Eggfinder. Any suggestions anyone?

You have to unlock the developer options of the Android OS and click on "Allow Mock Positions" or something like that.

Look up unlocking the developer options. You go to the system setup, scroll down to one of the lines at the bottom and click on I believe the
system type like 7 times. It will prompt you are opening up the developer options.

I unlocked the bootloader and rooted my Nexus 7 2013 and just opened up the developer options on a dual boot tablet. Bluetooth GPS works fine on both. You have to have a live internet connection for both apps if you want to see the maps. There is no caching available for
off line use. You will get two points and a datum line on a grey field with GPS rocket locator though without an internet connection.
Kurt

Yes its a drop in fit for the original case. You just have to take off your old back plate and put the new one in and you are ready to fly.

I cannot give you a set time frame for when they go on sale but it should be this month.

I received the belt clip and lanyard Friday and took all of two minutes to modify. Just gotta get a carbiner for the lanyard attachment point. I like it. I can hold my tablet inside the flat black painted box with one hand and hold the LCD with the other
or allow it to hang free from the neck. Kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back