Source for Scale Space Shuttle ET and SRB Nose Cones?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No! You swore up and down that it would be ready to launch with your Saturn for the Apollo anniversary. Where is it? You are bending George's ear for a far more elaborate project when you promised the N1 would be done almost a year ago. I wanna see the N1 you promised everyone!

you got me! I did say I would have it ready. But I decided it wasn't worth it. Im no in the N1 mode. I might build it eventually but I want to do the Terrier Sandhawk and get that finished and painted then do this shuttle.

Ben

George you are amazing!! I am following what you are saying now. I was using burnsim and got the motors to be 100% exact but the SSME engines then went to a moon burn. I was going to test that. Now that I see what you are talking about there is no need! So the shuttle motors need to boost the ORBITERS weight while the SRB's take care of the ET/SRB combo. right?

Here are 2 drawings I am working on for the 1/20th scale model. I do plan on a boilerplate model (mmmmmaaaaaxxxxxQQQ?? Hey buddy ;) ) using the right angles for the motors and all the extra. I am getting quite excited to start work on this! I also didn't know a friend who was into R/C (sort of retired) as much as rocketry. He has a few giant planes he said could strap a shuttle too and fly. So I may be able to test glide it a few times to get Cg's right. Im sure theres going to be alot to learn in testing!!

Take a look at the drawings and let me know what you think as a start.

One is an SRB at 1/20th scale. I was going off your drawings and had to improvise one or two dimensions. I am feeling like I need to go DD with a 98mm M in there its going to gooooo!! How can I estimate altitude with something like this? If its under 3-4k I don't need DD and that would shave ALOT of weight off (like 2-3lbs) per SRB.

The other one is the angles on the orbiter. Those are setup for 3 x 76mm 14.5" motors with 12" of propellant. You list a gimbaling point in your main drawing. What is that refering too in relation to the 3DCG? Is that where the motor is being gimballed from? Or where the motor needs to cross to be at the 3D CG? Im thinking to former.

THANKS!!!
Ben

Any reason to go 1/20th?

I haven't dimensioned an Orbiter at 1/20th.....Andy's was originally 1/30 and it was to go into production at 1/27th.

That was plenty big enough...and easily carried by a 1/3 scale J-3 Cub...

Shuttle Andy J-3 shuttle.jpg

Last edited:
Have to admit to doing some misleading about whether my 1999 Contest (NARAM & WSMC) shuttle used fins.

See the three side by side images of the model below:

Shuttle-WhatFins.jpg

So, yep, it’s finless.

So, I have been tricking you.

But, the thing is....

I am only tricking you about the fins in what I have said above, in this one message.

Because there ARE fins on it.

Clear fins. But in those pics, you either can’t see them or have to look very closely (No Photoshop tricks at all, no point in that for this).

So, I did this trickery to show that the thought of having one clear fin on each SRB is not so bad. They barely show in most photos, and I have not seen a launch photo or video yet where they appeared.

But until I told you there were clear fins there, didn’t you think you were looking at a “finless” shuttle? Yeah, you saw all the boilerplate photos with the solid opaque fins, but that was for flight testing many other aspects of the shuttle models until I was finally ready to build an all out contest model that needed for the fins to be clear.

The fins are Lexan (polycarbonate). On this model they are 1/16” thick. For a bigger model, they would need to be a lot thicker, depending on size and airspeed. But no matter what, Lexan/Polycarbonate is the way to go, any other clear material is flimsier, or heavier, or more brittle.

And of course, securely mounted. But there probably is a limit of practicality. The ultra high powered shuttle Ben is talking about doing, I am not sure that anything short of Scotty’s “Transparent Aluminum”* would suffice for clear fin material on that one, as I suspect a way way higher boost velocity than I would ever want to subject my own HPR shuttle to if I ever made a big one at say 1/24 or 1/36 scale (but you know how many engines mine would have thrusting for boost.....).

FWIW - Some pics below that do show the clear fins.

- George Gassaway

* - Star Trek 4 reference

dcp00412.jpg

dcp00428.JPG

PA140080.jpg

PA140082.jpg

PA140136.jpg

Last edited:
The ultra high powered shuttle Ben is talking about doing, I am not sure that anything short of Scotty’s “Transparent Aluminum”* would suffice for clear fin material on that one, as I suspect a way way higher boost velocity than I would ever want to subject my own HPR shuttle to if I ever made a big one at say 1/24 or 1/36 scale (but you know how many engines mine would have thrusting for boost.....).

- George Gassaway

<Take a look at the drawings and let me know what you think as a start.One is an SRB at 1/20th scale. I was going off your drawings and had to improvise one or two dimensions. I am feeling like I need to go DD with a 98mm M in there its going to gooooo!! How can I estimate altitude with something like this? If its under 3-4k I don't need DD and that would shave ALOT of weight off (like 2-3lbs) per SRB.
The other one is the angles on the orbiter. Those are setup for 3 x 76mm 14.5" motors with 12" of propellant. You list a gimbaling point in your main drawing. What is that refering too in relation to the 3DCG? Is that where the motor is being gimballed from? Or where the motor needs to cross to be at the 3D CG? Im thinking to former.THANKS!!!Ben>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I'm going to come right out and say it this time.

I can see the same design philosphy at work again....choose BIG motors first, and then continue building/designing to that.
Clearly illustrates what we were talking about earlier in this thread. Wanna guess were the weight is going to end up before it gets done?

And is there something to be very pleased with...if this project is based on needing: "a 98mm M in there its going to gooooo!! "
I'm starting to get this feeling already where this is heading...

I saw many very impressive still pictures of Andy's big shuttle, fantastic workmanship, nice still pictures, but when I saw the video it didn't act like a space shuttle does...it was great that it took off and did not go unstable, but there is something a bit funny about putting all the effort into making a scale model look scale, that still shoots off the pad like a Sprint ABM missile...it's kinda like watching a big scale four engine B 29 model doing loops and barrell rolls and flying inverted.

And this is something I think is more difficult than designing and building a finless space shuttle with all the motors in the right location...it is making it, or any scale model rocket for that matter, fly realistically.

I think finding that nexus between the right amount of rocket power, and the structural design and materials selection that gives an overall weight that results in a realistic flight is what several of us were talking about earlier.

When we were kids, one of the favorite Estes rockets of the time was the Big Bertha. Why? Well, at the time it was BIG, but it was also that slow "realistic" take off that we saw the big missiles do.

The scale airplane guys know this....the second part they have been mastering - after building a realistic big scale model - the final test is flying true to scale.
Not sure we rocketry guys can or will get there anytime soon.

That may be the real Holy Grail, the grand Unified Field Theory....waiting to be discovered.

Last edited:
Well do you have any weight estimates. I am asuming with 7.5" diameter boosters, 2lb parachutes, 5lbs electronics, 5lbs BT, 3lbs nosecone, 5lbs centering rings, 3lbs aft skirt, 2lbs of epoxy to hold it together. SO right there my rough guess is 25lbs for one SRB. It might sound like alot of weight but (don't take this the wrong way) after being around HPR, sometimes you need weight to make it strong! I like to be able to not do ANYTHING to a model but repack chutes and its ready to fly again. That may not be the best philosophy but its worked quite well for me :p

so 25lbs for one SRB, 50lbs for 2, add in a 10lbs burnt 98mm motor (thats without propellant) and we are up to 70lbs for the SRB's alone.

So onto the ET. The ET is 16.75" in diameter. I garuntee! The BT alone for that will be 10-15lbs. There is nothing I can do about that! Even using a 1/8" wall cardboard tube with no glass, it will be that much. I a actually going to take a 16.5" cardboard tube and lay it up to make a 16.75" FG tube.

ET: 10lbs BT, 10lbs nosecone, 5lbs tailcone, 5lbs electronics, 5lb parachute, 5lbs epoxy. thats 40lbs and im thinking it will end up closer to 50.

ok 120lbs, orbiter next? I am not sure how you calculate the weight in that really? If we say 30lbs (I mean it is 6feet tall) that bring us to 150lbs on the pad.

a 98mm 3 grain (the reason I go with 98mm and not with 76mm is the larger diameter motor the more propellant there is to give it a longer, more scale, burn, I just shorten them to give less thrust) is an M1650 at 4.9sec burn. one will lift 92lbs at 4:1 so 185lbs of SRB thrust to lift the 150lb stack that I have a feeling will not be able to be kept that light.

I would like that safety margin because if NONE of the orbiter motors light (very unlikely) I only have a 10lb margin at 4:1. (4:1 for a more scale liftoff)

You guys may think I am thinking heavy, I like to think I am thinking practical. HPR WILL be alot heavier than georges 1/72. Even if I upscaled his weight I would be no where close. There is so much extra you need in HPR to bring these beast up, and right back down.

Ben

P.S. we can talk on the field, ill bring you something for demonstration purposes ;)

I think finding that nexus between the right amount of rocket power, and the structural design and materials selection that gives an overall weight that results in a realistic flight is what several of us were talking about earlier.

When we were kids, one of the favorite Estes rockets of the time was the Big Bertha. Why? Well, at the time it was BIG, but it was also that slow "realistic" take off that we saw the big missiles do.

The scale airplane guys know this....the second part they have been mastering - after building a realistic big scale model - the final test is flying true to scale.
Not sure we rocketry guys can or will get there anytime soon.

That may be the real Holy Grail, the grand Unified Field Theory....waiting to be discovered.
Isn't that what mission points are awarded for in NAR scale model rocket competition?

Isn't that what mission points are awarded for in NAR scale model rocket competition?
Perhaps so...I'm not an NAR comp guy....

I thought mission points were for replicating a function of the real rocket, like having a cluster of motors, dropping a stage , deploying antennae, or deploying a payload or doing something akin to the full size rocket.

If there are points given for actually flying a model at a "scale speed" ....then I retract my statement, with apologies to all offended parties.

Perhaps so...I'm not an NAR comp guy....

I thought mission points were for replicating a function of the real rocket, like having a cluster of motors, dropping a stage , deploying antennae, or deploying a payload or doing something akin to the full size rocket.

If there are points given for actually flying a model at a "scale speed" ....then I retract my statement, with apologies to all offended parties.

E-mails coming.........

Ben

- George Gassaway

Pretty incredible build there.....

George...a couple of questions:

1.) can you expand a little further on how you came about determining the best or recommended RC function for shuttle flying, I believe you stated the elevons (ala the original Luther Hux plans, were surpassed by your own experimentation with rudder only control? ...and maybe not even a full length rudder?

2.) I recall seeing in the Space Modeling magazine long ago, a big foam core shuttle, may have been Matt Steele's.
Was that just done on a lark, like a big joke "odd roc",....or was that part of the whole R&D thing you guys were doing?

Last edited:
HPR is never an excuse for overbuilding.

NASA does the ultimate HPR. They do not routinely overbuild everything.

It makes a world of difference to plan to build light, but make it strong enough, than to figure it has to be built as strong as HPR rockets built to go ****** or faster. This is not that kind of rocket.

That kind of approach is back to the 4 inch 3 pound V-2 that &#8220;Flies fine on a G&#8221;, versus 1 pound Estes Maxi V-2 (same size) that flies on an E15 to the same altitude (and would fly MUCH better on a G than a 3-pound V-2) type of thing (a thread on TRF 2-3 weeks ago).

And building it strong enough so it can&#8217;t be dinged on landing, is too often a self-penalizing philosophy. My shuttles don't get damaged unless something goes badly wrong. Like the time when due to aileron control I lost orientation on it and the orbiter spiraled into the ground, smashing the nose of the orbiter. The solution to that was NOT to build the new nose incredibly strong so it could survive even a vertical crash (the original was strong enough to survive any &#8220;hard landing&#8221;, but that one was a true crash). The solution was to work out a better way to fly it (rudder rather than ailerons), so I'd be very unlikely to have that kind of loss of control again during glide (and indeed I&#8217;ve never had a control problem since going to rudder for steering).

Or let&#8217;s say the chutes don&#8217;t open on the ET? Are you really intending for the ET to survive a free-fall if only you build it strong enough?

I&#8217;m not saying build it light to the point that it is fragile, but the way I&#8217;m reading it, it still comes out sounding like overbuilt and needlessly over-heavy.

If you really want this to work, start planning out some smaller scale boilerplate to start building and test fly.

I could even sell you some 1/72 parts to help get up on your way with a boilerplate, mostly tubes (4.6&#8221; and 2.0&#8221;), ET & SRB noses, and ET Aft Dome. Maybe a few vac-formed orbiter pieces (Nose and OMS pods). I&#8217;m not sure where all of my old mold parts are since a move last year but I know where the tubes are and know where the ET/SRB nose molds are. I can do a search for the rest if you&#8217;re interested.

BTW - in your mass estimates, did you forget the car battery in the top of the ET nose? Maybe two car batteries. Or three.

REMEMBER, you do not want any fins, yet even with one single fin on an SRB, mine needs significant weight in the ET nose to make the stack stable (if yours is finless, you will need an even more forward CG than my models use). In my case the electronics, chutes, and all are in the ET nose and that mass is just barely enough to get the CG correct. And of course I'm not putting motors in the orbiter, or big heavy motors in the SRB&#8217;s, or making excessively heavy SRB&#8217;s, or excessively heavy orbiter, and so forth (If I had made those heavy then I'd have needed to add a lot of lead to the nose, and the ability of the model to fly worth a crap would have gone downhill rapidly).

Except for the ET nose and to a lesser extent the SRB noses, ALL the parts you described end up behind the CG by some extent or another. I did not even bother to give an individual CG for the SRB&#8217;s because I just took it as a given that the SRB&#8217;s get built as light as practical. If you build them heavy on purpose, they are adding tailweight to the stack. Even if not all of the SRB mass is &#8220;at the tail&#8221;, the SRB&#8217;s CG is behind the full stack&#8217;s required stability CG.

So, when it is all combined, you will need a ***HUGE*** amount of noseweight to try to make it stable. So I am not kidding about noseweight as heavy as a car battery. And not kidding much about two car batteries for noseweight either..

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Ive got no problem with noseweight. I have a 10" Satv with 15lbs noseweight up to 35lbs when flying on an M.

I would be intersted in some 1/72 parts. Ill send you an E-mail.

Ben

...since you'll up the motor to match however heavy it turns out to be ...
;)

[looking around] ok who told you? ;)

Had a long talk with MaxQ today. I think weve made some headway.
We extablished I am paying for everything and he thinks it would be neat. Thats about it :p

Ben

NASA does the ultimate HPR. They do not routinely overbuild everything.

The very-abbreviated process, usually, is to determine the mission objectives, establish a flight profile to meet those objectives, determine what loads the vehicle will see to fly the profile, then design to take those loads with some margin -- and no more. Anything "more" eats into capability (usually payload, for a launch vehicle) and drives up costs. "Systems engineering" is all about the trades involved in meeting mission objectives and satisfying layers of design requirements while minimizing cost. There are variations to the design process, but that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

George, my hat is off to you. That Shuttle is an incredible piece of engineering ... beautifully done. The rest of us can learn a lot by studying your approach. Thanks much for posting! :)

get my E-mail?

George one more question!

How does the 3D CG get adjusted up and down? I get how it moves fore to aft but how does it get adjusted up and down? that just kind of throws me!?

if you mentioned it above and I overlooked it just link me and ill re read

Ben

1.) can you expand a little further on how you came about determining the best or recommended RC function for shuttle flying, I believe you stated the elevons (ala the original Luther Hux plans, were surpassed by your own experimentation with rudder only control? ...and maybe not even a full length rudder?
Sometime in early 1978, I made a huge cardboard shuttle orbiter to throw off of a cliff (guess what, it did NOT weigh 30 pounds). The elevons were elevator only. The steering was by rudder. First flight, I throw it, it goes into a shallow dive, I try to turn it right, but it rolls to the left. I came to realize that the full-height rudder was acting like an vertical aileron instead of a rudder. So, next throw, I think I will give opposite rudder, to make it turn like I want. I throw it, it dives slightly then I pull up into a higher angle of attack glide, give it left rudder to make it roll right (based on flight 1’s opposite roll), but instead, it yaws left and turns left.

So, the full height rudder would only reverse (causing roll) at low angles of attack, while at higher angles it acted normally for yaw.

Because of that, when I built my first R/C piggyback 1/72 orbiter for rocket boosting (1982), I used mixed elevons. And I was never really that comfortable flying ailerons, as most of the other models I flew were rudder-elevator. Then one day (in 1985), I lost visual orientation on the orbiter, and it spiraled into the ground, smashing the nose.

When I rebuilt it, I wanted to try out rudder control again. But to avoid the reversal problem, to only make the lower part of the rudder move. I was not sure if this would work, so I only did a crude nose section build job, and flew the model with the crude nose to try out the half rudder type of steering. That proved to work out great, so all my orbiters ever since have used the lower half of the rudder for steering and elevons only move for elevator.

As I mentioned in another message, there is one drawback on boost. The rudder does act like a vertical aileron during boost, so left rudder causes right roll. So, I programmed my transmitter to make the rudder move in reverse on boost. Then when I flip the Boost mode/Glide mode switch to glide, which also auto-seps the orbiter, the rudder moves the correct way to steer down for glide.

2.) I recall seeing in the Space Modeling magazine long ago, a big foam core shuttle, may have been Matt Steele's.
Was that just done on a lark, like a big joke "odd roc",....or was that part of the whole R&D thing you guys were doing?

Two things. Last part first.

I did not do any rocket projects with Matt Steele after 1989, after he decided to no longer be on a team with me, and months later he decided to organize a split from the HARA NAR section in Huntsville. I never was part of North Coast officially, but before 1989 had let NCR make use of some of my designs (the “Star Spangled G Bird” was my design, but my BT-80 one would fly on an F far higher than the twice as heavy NCR thick walled one would on a G. And the NCR 4” Juno-I even used a nose section cast from an RTV mold made from my original model).

The North Coast shuttle that came out years later was not produced with any input from me. Matt Steele was partly going by bits of what he remembered about my 1/72 models before then, perhaps some very old notes or sketches or photos. Well, there was an article I wrote for SNOAR NEWS in the late 1980’s on how to get something like a shuttle to fly, which discussed a lot about how to get the thrustline for one engine in the ET correct, and IIRC illustrating the problems of trying to do a cluster......

But for the most part the engineering and conversion of that NCR model was done by Matt. That turned out to be a VERY heavy model that was underpowered on a G motor. Part of the performance killer on it was the use of clear acrylic tubing and 1/8” clear acrylic sheet for the Estes-type fin system, which added so much weight to the back that even the solid balsa nose cone require a lot of noseweight to be added to it. If the fin system had been a paper type tube (or arrowshafts), and balsa or plywood fins, it would have been lighter in the back and at the least probably not have needed extra noseweight in the ET nose, which would have made it fly better on a G.

I should point out that Matt was nice enough to send me a couple of the NCR shuttle kits when it came out (one to go up on ebay in a few months). And when Estes was freeing up warehouse space years after the NCR shuttle went OOP, he sent a couple of boxes of leftover ET & SRB tubes to me. I did use those tubes on my 1998 boilerplate (and some sport birds).

As to the NCR foam glider, I think you are referring to the NCR “Avatar shuttle”.
That glider was made by some company out in California as an R/C model. I think for slope-soaring. It was molded out of expanded bead foam, like a cheap styrofoam cooler, or more accurately in this case like cheap but big foam “toy” planes you might find in Wal-Mart rather than a hobby shop. I do not know any of the story of how Matt came across this and decided to buy some to be converted to sell as rocket boosted gliders. I will say I never saw an R/C version of one boost straight on an E, as it was tail-heavy and required a lot of pilot correction on boost (I do recall hearing that Doug Pratt had some good luck flying his, using a long burn motor and not the E15 that model often flew on). Well, NCR also made the “Avatar Arrow”, a booster rocket to carry it up piggy-back, which was supposed to solve the boost problem. But of course the combo weighed about twice as much, so it needed twice the motor power to fly as high as the Avatar alone might have if it could boost straight

Even if I had been asked to try to help work the bugs out, that one was too full of bugs.

Photos below: First three of that big cardboard orbiter in 1978. They are screen grabs from an old Super-8 movie.
4th Pic - a 2-shot composite of the 1982 Piggyback orbiter after it crashed in 1985 and I converted it to try out rudder control using the lower half of the rudder. Also visible is the smashed original nose, and the temporary replacement nose.
Last photo - a scan I found on the web of an old NCR catalog page showing the “Avatar Shuttle”.

- George Gassaway

1978CardboardOrbiter-3.jpg

1978CardboardOrbiter-2.jpg

1978CardboardOrbiter-4.jpg

1985%20Orbiter%20repair.jpg

ncravatarsm.jpg

FWIW - Going thru that old Super-8 movie for the big cardboard orbiter reminded me of something. Because right after that in the movie, was a roughly 1/80 scale shuttle in 1978.

I have said my first shuttle stack was in 1979. Well, not quite. I think of the 1979 stack because it was built pretty close to scale (not Contest scale, but sport model scale, even if the orbiter was still pretty crude, such as no OMS pods and no nozzles). And, it was painted and such.

But as the movie reminded me, I did build a crude full shuttle stack sometime in 1978. Actually, it was an ET/SRB set to make use of the piggybacked 1/80 orbiter I had built in August 1977. That crude stack used a BT-101 for the ET, with a Maxi V-2 nose cone which was way longer than the ET nose cone. The SRB&#8217;s were 2&#8221; diameter (with "Orion" noses), which was a bit oversized, but a closer fit to 1/80 scale than BT-60 would have been. The fin system was sort of Estes style, In that case, 18&#8221; long clear tubes from Centuri (#10 tubing I think), and clear fins attached to them (I later used a similar clear fin set on the 1/110 shuttle stack in 1979).

For power two side by side D12 mounts in the bottom of the ET. For some reason I did not plan out the thrustline very well, and moved them too close to the orbiter side of the ET. So, when it took off, it pitched nose-down due to thrust. But fortunately it did not pitch over too badly, thanks to the long clear Estes type fin units. But it did get horizontal at about burnout, and coasted a pretty long way down before the 3 sec delays fired. The orbiter did not quite make it into a glide before it hit the ground, but it was light enough that it did not get any damage.

I never flew that stack again due to the thrustline problem (and I am not sure if I owned that V-2 nose or had just borrowed it). The 1/80 orbiter resumed its role as a piggyback model.

Anyway, I thought some of you might be interested in seeing some screenshots of that model. And unfortunately these are the only images I have of my first-ever orbiter.

- George Gassaway

1978ShuttleStack-1.jpg

1978ShuttleStack-2.jpg

1978ShuttleStack-3.jpg

1978ShuttleStack-4.jpg

Last edited:
Any reason to go 1/20th?

I haven't dimensioned an Orbiter at 1/20th.....Andy's was originally 1/30 and it was to go into production at 1/27th.

That was plenty big enough...and easily carried by a 1/3 scale J-3 Cub...

See, that's what NASA SHOULD have built to haul the shuttle back and forth-- just upscale a Piper Cub by about 10X or so....

MUCH cheaper than a 747... :roll::roll::roll: OL JR :)

The cones that started this thread arrived in the mail today.

I bought them from sandman, btw.
They were in perfect shape, and I test-fitted 6 of the 7 pieces at lunchtime today.

I'm going to go back and check my tube lengths, based on the fantastic shuttle drawings that George Gassaway has posted in this thread.

Here are some pictures, taken with the gum cam that I bought on eBay. The lighting wasn't great, but you get the idea. (For details on the gum cams, search for "gum cam" either on eBay or on YORF.)

PICT0023A.JPG

PICT0024A.JPG

PICT0025A.JPG

PICT0028A.JPG

Last edited:
I think I'm on the list............but seriously, I don't think the thread originator minded too much.
I don't mind at all!

And we got all of that *fantastic* shuttle scale modeling information and advice from George, which is just priceless!

(...even though I'm not exactly modeling the space shuttle...)
:dark: :cool:

Back