Your Favorite Desk Mounted Magnifier

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Binocular AmScope for the win. I use it for a lot more than soldering.
Thanks for asking this Q, @WFWalby

I need SOMETHING to compensate for my fading near vision !

I've been shopping but I haven't decided on a lighted magnifier yet because there are so many options out there and many of them seem to come from the PRC ...

Thanks for the link to the Brightech, @Pinetree -- an exception in that Amazon says they're a US owned family biz ...

I've been looking at desk mounted lighted magnifiers but now that @Adrian A mentions binocular microscopes ...

What model AmScope do you have ?

Is there a magnification range that you find most useful ?

And does it have an interface for your PeeCee ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

Thanks for asking this Q, @WFWalby

I need SOMETHING to compensate for my fading near vision !

I've been shopping but I haven't decided on a lighted magnifier yet because there are so many options out there and many of them seem to come from the PRC ...

Thanks for the link to the Brightech, @Pinetree -- an exception in that Amazon says they're a US owned family biz ...

I've been looking at desk mounted lighted magnifiers but now that @Adrian A mentions binocular microscopes ...

What model AmScope do you have ?

Is there a magnification range that you find most useful ?

And does it have an interface for your PeeCee ?

Thanks !

-- kjh
I got this in 2015

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U49LHA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A long working distance is key. There are a lot of variations with camera ports, etc. I just take cell phone photos through the eyepiece. One tip that I learned a few years ago is that if you focus with the main knob when you're zoomed all the way in, and then zoom all the way out and turn the eyepieces to focus, you will have sharp focus throughout the zoom range. This works for one height of the thing you're looking at.

I got this in 2015

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U49LHA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A long working distance is key. There are a lot of variations with camera ports, etc. I just take cell phone photos through the eyepiece. One tip that I learned a few years ago is that if you focus with the main knob when you're zoomed all the way in, and then zoom all the way out and turn the eyepieces to focus, you will have sharp focus throughout the zoom range. This works for one height of the thing you're looking at.
Wow !

That's a beautiful thing !

Thanks for the link and the tips, @Adrian A !

-- kjh

Back