You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...or their no-great-loss successor, baggies. Baggy legs, even-wider bell bottoms, and 2"-3" cuffs. Right up there with the leisure suit as one of the unlamented fashion failures.
I liked the baggies in 8th and 9th grade. My dad bought my 2 brothers and me the same leisure suits and one for him too. All the same maroon color. The horror. There is a picture of the four of us somewhere around here. And what is the worst is that he dressed us like that for a funeral.

Cheerleaders who wore "short" skirts, a bit above the knee, and long-sleeved shirts during football season (in PA it was pretty cold in the evenings, even in early September), vs. today's halter tops and ultra-short and lowest-cut-possible shorts. And no "dance teams".

High school that started in September and ended early June.

Gals who shocked everyone by wearing jeans to school. Apparently there was a group who planned a day of protest against skirts and I-forget-what in the dress code.

Gals who shocked everyone by wearing jeans to school. Apparently there was a group who planned a day of protest against skirts and I-forget-what in the dress code.

Seems so minor these days.

I remember getting lots of trouble and "discrimination" for my long hair back then! There were actual rules and laws against boys with long hair. Sheesh!

I don't mind if girls wear pants.

Welcome to the United States of Iran. Sheesh.

I remember getting lots of trouble and "discrimination" for my long hair back then! There were actual rules and laws against boys with long hair. Sheesh!

Signs , Signs, Everywhere a Sign, don't do this , don't do that...Everywhere a Sign...

"Signs saying Long Haired Hippy People Need Not Apply...So I tucked my hair under my hat..."

I will be receiving a box o engines, does this date code mean 1971? And yes I am old enough to have been flying for a number of years before this.

Attachments

• 73726409033__244E3F72-0358-465E-83A7-1441005F5036.jpeg
    73726409033__244E3F72-0358-465E-83A7-1441005F5036.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 73726409033__244E3F72-0358-465E-83A7-1441005F5036.jpeg
    73726409033__244E3F72-0358-465E-83A7-1441005F5036.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
90 minutes from New York to Paris, well by '76 we'll be okay...
We'll be eternally free, yes, and eternally young. Oooooh.

What a beautiful world this will be,
What a glorious time to be free!

My girlfriend loves that album, especially the great rhythm of IGY. Soooo groovy

I graduated in 1974. I don't remember ever seeing a girl in jeans in school. Mini skirts yes jeans no. Cheerleaders in short skirts and sweaters at football games. Michigan gets cold too. Cheerleaders in sweaters and short skirts at basketball games. Cheerleaders were always the most attractive and popular girls in school. At U of M games they only had male yell leaders during the 70's. In my early 20's I lived in Ann Arbor so close to U of M stadium I could clearly hear the stadium announcer. And Steely Dan, does anybody know where they got there name from, I do, was one of my favorite groups. I liked Nature's way by Spirit too. Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac was a biggie also. The first time I heard Uneasy Rider by Charlie Daniels they became on of my favorite groups. At one time I knew all the lyrics from that song. Other groups I heard at MSU that became my favorites, Marshall Tucker, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Outlaws with the fantastic song Green Grass and High Tides. The guys that were my dorm mates turned me on to a lot of the Southern Rock and Roll groups. We started wearing straw cowboy hats with big feathered hat bands. Sitting in the top row of the MSU football stadium with a gallon jug of screwdrivers. What a hoot. Dobbie Brothers were a staple at keggers. Now when I hear one of their songs on the radio I get a mental picture of our day room full of people dancing. Meet a lot of girls at Michigan State. Two that I still remember their names and will never forget. Going from a small farming community to MSU with a day time population of 75,000 was an eye opening experience that I was lucky to live through.

Speaking of CB radio after I graduated from High School I worked at the same company my father worked at.
After the summer season was over with my delayed entry into the US Army started.
His handle was " Kay Don " for my mom and dad and my handle was Touche Turtle ( from the cartoon ).
My dad could not pronounce Touche Turtle and he would get tongue tied and say 2 K T turtle.
and that was so funny listing to him trying to pronounce it. And when he tried to pronounce it when he had his
dentures out I almost wet my self 🤣

I will be receiving a box o engines, does this date code mean 1971? And yes I am old enough to have been flying for a number of years before this.
Does that say 1/2 A 8-4, or 1/2 A .8-4? (decimal point) You may remember that Estes changed to the RSM (Rational System of Measurement) in the 60s. A .8-3, B .8-4, B 3-5 changed to A8-3, B6-4, and B14-5. If the motors are marked in Stupid Measurements they're older than 1970.

Seems so minor these days.

I don't mind if girls wear pants.

Welcome to the United States of Iran. Sheesh.
I got sent home for wearing a this shirt in high school in the 70's. Probably didn't help that I had long hair and an earring in a rural, bible belt town. A group of us guys also got sent home for wearing tank tops to school. We were protesting that it was okay for the girls to wear tank tops, but not guysScreenshot_20240513_104830.jpg

I got sent home for wearing a this shirt in high school in the 70's. Probably didn't help that I had long hair and an earring in a rural, bible belt town. A group of us guys also got sent home for wearing tank tops to school. We were protesting that it was okay for the girls to wear tank tops, but not guysView attachment 645149
Should have worn these tank tops. Nobody would have said a thing!

tank tops.png

Back