You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember people saying how worthless the Brat was... and guess what? Hyundai just came out with a mini pickup, and I bet some others do too. Those bed-mounted jump seats were scary...

The Brat/Brumby was unique in having a real 4wd transmission. 4wd High and low and boy, low is stump pulling low.

I love mine and it earns its keep.

Florida was like that in 79. The passengers could drink but not the driver. Some of the bars and liquor stores had drive up windows.
Two of our liquor stores in PartsUnknown, KY have drive-up windows. Another would have done so, I'm sure, had there been room on the property.

Yesterday I was at the grocers. The woman in front of me, a few or more years older than I, used a debit card to pay for her purchase. I watched as she then took out her checkbook, copied it to a blank check and record it in the register.
I quit writing checks so long ago, I still have 199 checks left out of the last 200 I purchased.

Yesterday I was at the grocers. The woman in front of me, a few or more years older than I, used a debit card to pay for her purchase. I watched as she then took out her checkbook, copied it to a blank check and record it in the register.
I quit writing checks so long ago, I still have 199 checks left out of the last 200 I purchased.
I can't remember the last time I wrote a check. My bank started doing bill pay; at first they mailed checks, now it's all electronic. Other stuff that needs to by paid by check, I go to the bank and get a cashier's check. They're free, and the money comes out of the account immediately (don't have to wait for check to clear to balance account).

We took a family trip from North Carolina to Missouri for summer vacation .
Mom and Dad in the 2 front seats and us 3 children in the back. 2 children would be in the back seats
and one child would stretch out and sleep in the cargo space

1978 International Scout II

1978-international-scout-ii.jpg

I was at one, one time when I was 5ish it mostly sold those stupid STEM kits, but it closed like a month later…

Ps what did it sell back then?

We had radios, Walki talkies, real nice ones not cheap junk. CB radios, sometimes a store might have a Ham radio.
Coax for antennas, antennas for sale, Homes needed antennas for TV, Radio, CB; no cable TV except for rich folks in special 'Hoods.

parts like Resistors, Capacitors, Chips, Transistors, all kinds of things that took a wall of small drawers to hold.

Then there was Audio, Stereo, speakers of all types, intercoms, ... then in the late 1970s, COMPUTERS!!

TRS-80s !!!! I spent more time on them then, then two way radio...

The catalog was huge, and they had to have a separate catalog for the computer stuff.
At one time TRS80 was more popular then Apple and IBM was not even thought of yet for home computers.

Last edited:
Sinclair ZX-80. Enough memory for, as I recall, 40 lines of code. I assembled one from a kit. Hundreds of pins to solder, no IC sockets, just straight to the chip. Miraculously, it worked. For what it was worth. As I recall, it came with 1k memory and the expansion was 4. TV for a monitor, but not all TVs worked. No wonder I didn't become a programmer.

update:
OOPS! The ZX-80 missed the '70s by 29 days, according to Wikipedia.
That sounds like fun! Like an egg timer!

Ps I wonder if the egg timer actually has more processing power?

I worked selling electronics in a shop from when I was 15 years old. Started there in '77. I remember selling the ZX-80, and later the ZX-81 computers by Sinclair. We didn't sell them in kit form. They used to crash a lot and you had to key in the program again. The "keyboard" had terrible tactile touch too.

I had already built the computer that came out in Radio Electronics magazine in early '78. Much more capable than the ZX80, but you had to solder it all together yourself. Chips etc onto a bare PCB, build power supply, modify b&w TV for direct video input, make an ASCII encoder for the keyboard, etc

Last edited:
Ps I wonder if the egg timer actually has more processing power?
Probably. It's hard to buy a µC today that doesn't*. Not that Eggtimer needs any more than a ZX-80 could give, but in 1980 you couldn't have fit what Eggtimer needs into a small enough space.

* Actually, old design µP chips are still available, but the processing cores of today's cheap µCs outperform them, and that's aside from the onboard memory and I/O. And for less money.

https://www.jameco.com/z/Z80-CPU-Major-Brands-IC-Z80-CPU-2-5MHz-DIP-40-pin_35561.html

https://www.jameco.com/z/R6502-Rockwell-6502-Microprocessor-8-bit-1-MHz-DIP-40_43191.html

https://www.jameco.com/z/MC6809P-Mo...-Microprocessing-Unit-1-MHz-DIP-40_43545.html

There were no single-chip microcontrollers in those days. You had to add external chips on the bus for ROM, RAM, I/O timers etc. Nowadays it is all in one IC.

Interestingly I am fault-finding a batch of boards at work that use an an old-school 80C32 (yes, we still use them in our AA spectrometers). They are suffering from bus contention. Something I haven't seen for decades as you don't see it with the single-chip solutions. Looks like an address latch is a little too slow.

Well, the MCS-48 family had a little on-chip memory and I/O, albeit very little. The MCS-51 family (like you 80C32 and the classic 8051 and 8052) had on-chip RAM and ROM (in some variants), but that was the '80s.

I worked selling electronics in a shop from when I was 15 years old. Started there in '77. I remember selling the ZX-80, and later the ZX-81 computers by Sinclair. We didn't sell them in kit form. They used to crash a lot and you had to key in the program again. The "keyboard" had terrible tactile touch too.

I had already built the computer that came out in Radio Electronics magazine in early '78. Much more capable than the ZX80, but you had to solder it all together yourself. Chips etc onto a bare PCB, build power supply, modify b&w TV for direct video input, make an ASCII encoder for the keyboard, etc
You lost me at ASCll encoder?

Probably. It's hard to buy a µC today that doesn't*. Not that Eggtimer needs any more than a ZX-80 could give, but in 1980 you couldn't have fit what Eggtimer needs into a small enough space.

* Actually, old design µP chips are still available, but the processing cores of today's cheap µCs outperform them, and that's aside from the onboard memory and I/O. And for less money.

https://www.jameco.com/z/Z80-CPU-Major-Brands-IC-Z80-CPU-2-5MHz-DIP-40-pin_35561.html

https://www.jameco.com/z/R6502-Rockwell-6502-Microprocessor-8-bit-1-MHz-DIP-40_43191.html

https://www.jameco.com/z/MC6809P-Motorola-IC-6809P-8-Bit-Microprocessing-Unit-1-MHz-DIP-40_43545.html

I learned 6809 Machine Code ! I later learned 8088 code, it was backwards Byte wise from MOTO. Both chips where 8 bit sudo 16 bit processors. IIRC the 8086 was a full real 16 bit over the IBM PC using the 8088.

Ok I looked it up, it seems like something that is part of low level software not hardware?

Well, that hardware had ASCII built into it. Such as a Chip that contained an ASCII encoder built into its "mask".

So it would take the matrix of a Key board of switches and turn it into ASCII code to feed your processors or other MPUs handling the peripherals.

Back