Xyla Foxlin is at it again...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like it's not a very smart TV. On mine I can subscribe and check on channels I'm subscribed to. I'm not sure if I can "click the bell thingie." But beyond that, yeah, I have to switch over to a computer, or at least a phone.
I have found that there are *way* more ad insertions when I watch Youtube on my Roku TV vs. when I watch on computer (or phone or tablet). It is so bad that I completely stopped watching Youtube on the TV. Watching in a browser on a computer is much better experience.

Maybe not as bad on other Smart TV platforms.

Of course, one could just ask Xyla. I posted the following comment on the video.

Xyla's NAR or Tripoli certification level is irrelevant for this flight or the purchase of the motor. It was launched at FAR under the governance of California Pyros and BATF Licensed operators. California law also does not limit who can purchase a commercial motor, as long as it is certified by California and the person is over 18 -- knowing that the launch of the motor is strictly enforced under law. The seller can impose their own discretion, like the well established NAR and TRA guidelines, but they are only guidelines and not law. Many of the officers out at FAR and RRS do not have any TRA or NAR certification, but are instead Cal Pyros or hold higher certifications.

Also, Xyla is the real deal. She is an amazing engineer and has done more to inspire a new generation of rocket builders and makers than most of us will do in a lifetime.

Also, also... certifications are good and important. I am a big advocate for serious rocket enthusiasts to get certified to L3 -- there is a lot to learn at every level, even for experienced veterans.

Normal people: "Good Lord she's hot!"

Rocket people: "I hope she has her L3 certification!".

It's free entertainment.. I could have done without the backstory and the mental health advertisement tie in, but I was on the edge of my seat when they took a sledgehammer and a ratchet strap to that motor casing.

I watched her previous rocket video and used to subscribe, but then she kind of fell off the radar for a while.

I think if you really want some how-to rocketry then Rocket Vlogs or BPS Space is a far better choice.

I have found that there are *way* more ad insertions when I watch Youtube on my Roku TV vs. when I watch on computer (or phone or tablet). It is so bad that I completely stopped watching Youtube on the TV. Watching in a browser on a computer is much better experience.

Y'know, come to think of it, yeah. There are lots of ads when I watch on the TV. There are plenty of adds when I watch on my tablet, so I hadn't really noticed that there are more on the TV, but now that you mention it, I think there are.

Fortyish inch TV viewed from the couch, eight inch tablet sitting anywhere, or twentyish inch monitor sitting in a desk chair. I think I'll continue to put up with the greater ad volume, at least a lot of the time.

Agreed. I have a Roku device for my TV and while it's great (I only have Internet TV, no cable or satellite) the ads on YouTube are more annoying than ever.

YouTube Premium is ad-free but I'm not going to pay for YouTube.

I could have done without the backstory...
You mean the rocket back story? I like knowing why a person decides to take on a project, i.e. the project's whole story, back to front.

and the mental health advertisement tie in... she kind of fell off the radar for a while.
Those are not unrelated.

I think if you really want some how-to rocketry then Rocket Vlogs or BPS Space is a far better choice.
If hard core how-to is all you're after, perhaps. Otherwise, "better" is a matter of opinion.

To each their own.

If her channel were solely devoted to rocketry then I would definitely be a subscriber.

I mean... did anyone *not* cringe?
I doubt it. That is, I do doubt that there's anyone who did not cringe. Was that a double negative or something? Maybe a triple negative with a back flip?

One good thing about getting it out is that it's perfectly OK to destroy the liner in the process.

I doubt it. That is, I do doubt that there's anyone who did not cringe. Was that a double negative or something? Maybe a triple negative with a back flip?

One good thing about getting it out is that it's perfectly OK to destroy the liner in the process.
Not having done this...yet, I was sure there had to be hundreds of other ways to do this that didn't make my skin crawl! I will have to find other videos of this process. 🧐

And I was hoping they would have shown the removal process, however that probably wasn't nearly as exciting!

Not having done this...yet, I was sure there had to be hundreds of other ways to do this that didn't make my skin crawl! I will have to find other videos of this process. 🧐

And I was hoping they would have shown the removal process, however that probably wasn't nearly as exciting!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be that hard. Xyla stated that she suspects the liner is a wee bit oversized, since the grains went in unexpectedly easily. That is, the OD was too great and the ID may have been as well. She had a launch date set, so getting a new one would have taken too long. I would like to know what CTI has to say about all this.

I've only done this twice, once was a 29 mm three grain and the other was a 38 mm one grain, so a very different scale than hers. Both times were easy-peasy.

A good friend of mine & I talk to each other nearly everyday on the phone. We often share YouTube vids on subjects we both like. I have a Lenovo Win 11 laptop and he has a Mac laptop. I rarely get ads before I watch a video. He almost always gets them. So are the ads based on the OS? The type of device?

She's not located in SoCal. She's located in MA, where she "integrated" the motor.

I believe you're mistaken. That launch was certainly in southern California, and she's done a couple of videos about her move to California from the Cleveland area (and wood samples collected along the way) and her neighbor's back yard where she did the deployment tests sure did look like southern California to me.

Which isn't space, but is about a third of the way, and it's her Miss Greater Cleveland crown, but that's part of the Miss America "system", so close enough.

Agreed. I have a Roku device for my TV and while it's great (I only have Internet TV, no cable or satellite) the ads on YouTube are more annoying than ever.

YouTube Premium is ad-free but I'm not going to pay for YouTube.
I thought the same thing. I ended up doing the YouTube premium trial. I really liked watching a full episode without mid-roll ads. I'm sure that's what they want. Also the fact that it applies to my entire family (except those under 13) helps a lot.

It's an annoyance, but I've found it to be worth it for my family.

I haven't watched Xyla's video yet but I've enjoyed her other content.

Integration.....Sticking the motor in the tube and attaching the retainer...too fancy a word for what we do but it sounds techni-cool.
Wasn't it the motor assembly to which they applied that term? Not integrating the motor into the rocket, but integrating the grains, liner, case, etc. Some people call that building the motor. I call that assembling the motor. Integrating? Sure, why not.

Which isn't space, but is about a third of the way, and it's her Miss Greater Cleveland crown, but that's part of the Miss America "system", so close enough.
that's all part of the "baiting" that now plagues our society, do whatever it takes (little white lies as Forrest Gump says) to get people lured in. ;)

Wasn't it the motor assembly to which they applied that term? Not integrating the motor into the rocket, but integrating the grains, liner, case, etc. Some people call that building the motor. I call that assembling the motor. Integrating? Sure, why not.
Either way it's a fancy word used for journalistic purposes.

Back