Carbon Fiber Rocket Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljwilley

I’m pretty sure it will work…
Reaction score
There isn't already a thread about this, so I decided to make one. Post a pic of anything both carbon fiber and rocketry related. I am working on a carbon rocket currently but I don't have the carbon fiber on it yet. I will post a pic of it once the rocket is finished. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I was led to believe that Carbon tubing was so much lighter than everything else until I saw the chart on John Cokers site.

I was led to believe that Carbon tubing was so much lighter than everything else until I saw the chart on John Cokers site.
Since it is stronger than fiberglass, you should be able to use a lot less of it, yeildong a thinner and lighter tube. But to make everything match the the diameters of the other rocket components, you get a heavy, albiet pretty strong tube.

With the exception of maybr an N5800, you don't really need this strength. And filament winding isn't the best orientation for the loads we see with a rocket.

But it sure looks cool! The rockets I posted above were made with carbon fiber for purely aesthetic reasons.

Or... You could make your own thin, light tube. Lighter weight, less frontal area for less drag. This tube has a .03" wall thickness and survived Mach 3.7, although it was fully supported by motor tube.

IMG_4604.jpeg

Disclaimer- I'm not an engineer. Lots of regurgitated information here. Credit Jim Jarvis, Adrian A and a bunch of others.

Last edited:
Common NameManufacturerMaterialWeight¹ThicknessGrooves
cardboardLoc/Precisionpaper1030.060"light
phenolicPublic Missiles, Ltd.paper phenolic1430.069"medium
flexible phenolicGiant Leap Rocketrypaper phenolic1490.067"medium
Blue Tube 2.0Always Ready Rocketryvulcanized paper phenolic1740.060"light
MagnaFrameGiant Leap Rocketryvulcanized paper phenolic1740.067"heavy
canvas phenolicMAC Performancecotton phenolic1850.060"²none
seamless phenolicBlack Catphenolic1820.063none
fiberglassPerformance Rocketryfilament wound FG2480.063"none
carbon fiberfilament wound1630.045"none
This is the chart for those who haven't seen it before.

Common NameManufacturerMaterialWeight¹ThicknessGrooves
cardboardLoc/Precisionpaper1030.060"light
phenolicPublic Missiles, Ltd.paper phenolic1430.069"medium
flexible phenolicGiant Leap Rocketrypaper phenolic1490.067"medium
Blue Tube 2.0Always Ready Rocketryvulcanized paper phenolic1740.060"light
MagnaFrameGiant Leap Rocketryvulcanized paper phenolic1740.067"heavy
canvas phenolicMAC Performancecotton phenolic1850.060"²none
seamless phenolicBlack Catphenolic1820.063none
fiberglassPerformance Rocketryfilament wound FG2480.063"none
carbon fiberfilament wound1630.045"none
This is the chart for those who haven't seen it before.
How about a citation/reference please???

The chart you posted seems to say that they are quite a bit lighter.
7% lighter than vulcanized paper phenolics is not quite a bit lighter in my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. :p Don't get me wrong, I love carbon fiber and would use it in every rocket if I could afford it.

Last edited:
Back