X-24A lifting body

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, out of the ruins of my Mach 10, I decided to used the scavenged components and recreate one of my really early pusher parkjets I designed into rc bg. The X-24A. It lended itself to a mid mounted wing design. This is a profile design and I added a doubler on the bottom for landing reinforcement along with some styrene sheet. I also left it in the white, as the chrome paint I used on the original version didn't take decals and panel lines that well, and I'd save some weight(original was 17 oz with battery and electric motor) From the top view you can see it is very narrow and the CG is at the forward marking. This one came out at 14 oz rtf with E-6 motor, but the CG was spot on from the glide tests and it handled the post boost cg shift no problem. I was able to use up all my leftover Depron scraps for this one. It is very simple, just five pieces, two wing tips, fuse side view, fuse top view, and doubler for the botom. I reinforced the wing tips with an angled depron gusset strip. It is so narrow and stiff that I used NO carbon or reinforcement at all.

I had settled on 70% aileron and 125% elevator throws by the last flight.

I started thursday night, and finished yesterday morning and got in five flights this morning by myself. First flight it pitched over toward the bottom using neutral boost trim and started rolling about once a second...I had left more aileron throw for this flight and it was overly sensitive. Once the boost stopped it slowed the roll and was able to stop it and it then wanted to flop right side up and glide was quite good, a bit too nose down.

Second flight, I put in some up elevator for boost, and it was pretty straight for the first half then pitched over a bit, glide was very nice. I also reduced aileron throws to 70%.

Third flight more vertical than the first flight, after burnout glide and flare were very nice, it really maintains pitch control right till touchdown, you can do a really lifting body type of landing, come in hot and just pitch the nose up to about 30 degrees and touch down on the tail. I noticed I was having to fight a bit of right roll(toward the battery side) on glide. So I put in a bit of left aileron.

Fourth flight, wanted to roll to the left on boost due to trim setting. I realized it isn't an aerodynamic roll, so vertical it doesn't need the trim, just in glide the battery weight is making it roll slightly right. Put in some more up elevator for boost.

Fifth flight, a bit more up trim for boost, now vertical boost, any roll you can damp out with aileron and it isn't overly sensitive. After boost, pop in glide trim and give 10 quick clicks of left trim and hands off glide. Nice glide and flare.

Nobody wanted to wake up and trod out into the field with me this morning, so no videos. It's a simple design but has the right look to me, and the panel lines and vinyl letters from Office Max worked well, a bit of trim monokote as well.

Enjoy.

Frank

WP_000535.jpg

WP_000539.jpg

WP_000538.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, the elevon servosv are on the bottom, bec and rx are on the underside of the left nose barely visible, and the battery is on the right side nose, its pretty clean looking for a profile..
Very nice job.

Where in the world did you hide the radio gear?

Kevin

Got home today and the weather was like spring, so I got my son to come out and we did two quick flights to get them on video before winter comes and swallows us again:) Boost is pretty straight now, with me just fighting a little wing rock on the way up, you can hear me clicking in the 10 left trim clicks after burnout....

Hope you like it.

Frank

https://youtu.be/B6dov2hZ0ZU

Awesome video :D

Today in GA was also like spring although winter is not much worse :wink: Flew my RC planes for 4 tank fulls and on the last flight I had a good dead stick landing from about 300' up. Landed within about 20' of where I was standing. The "guys" determined it was the best landing of the day.

I also blasted off 3 small rockets on "c" motors. The second one didn't eject/deploy and it ended up as a lawn dart.

Lawn-Dart-1.jpg

That's really cool. Flies great and such a simple, elegant design. Building one of these would make a great weekend project!

Mike Mc.

Got home today and the weather was like spring, so I got my son to come out and we did two quick flights to get them on video before winter comes and swallows us again:) Boost is pretty straight now, with me just fighting a little wing rock on the way up, you can hear me clicking in the 10 left trim clicks after burnout....

Hope you like it.

Frank

https://youtu.be/B6dov2hZ0ZU

That is 1,000% fantastic. Thanks for posting it.

Hey, how do you get the artwork on foam? Is it decals, or do you maybe have some kind of way to print directly on such thick material?

Thanks, the markings are a combination of self adhesive trim monokote cut to shape, self adhesive decals from sig(stars and bars), vinyl letters from Office Max, and sharpie marking pens for the panel lines. I just apply them with the pen and ruler.

Frank

That is 1,000% fantastic. Thanks for posting it.

Hey, how do you get the artwork on foam? Is it decals, or do you maybe have some kind of way to print directly on such thick material?

Latest posts

Back