Working on my first MPR/HP build..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second that.

Wow!

Suspect the Gorilla glue might be a little past usefulness though.

Hans.
Its trash, all the gorilla glue. Not so much for th elmers, and it the one box its about half filled with spray paints. I have as many supplies(doghouse, rocketarium, aeropack, Apogee, etc) stuff that I don't know what to do with. But merging my two collections is priceless...

Also picked up some more supplies. Can start the build anyway. I have kevlar line to go from the centering ring eyelet bolt to about a foot out of the tube to a quicklink/then mule tape that I can have for free, about 2000 yards..Also getting the Estes Olympus ready for the JL chute release, gonna fly that this weekend hopefully. And patiently awaiting next months launch on July 29th with SPAAR here in PA, probably repeating some of what I wrote here, buts thats where I'm at!! And an I motor puts this baby to 3900ft. Gonna save that for one of URRG or MDRA launch days.

Attachments

• 20230627_123640.jpg
    20230627_123640.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230627_010819.jpg
    20230627_010819.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Why? Just run about 4-5x length of the rocket with the kevlar line, then use the quicklink.
Was a little concerned using the mule tape inside the BT. So wanted to use that smaller kelvar line, to a quick link. Also gonna have a nomex shock cord sleeve. But the mule tape is def I think better than the elastic shock cord I bought. But I have use for it on other rockets, I'm not 100% committed one how to run them, but have a very good idea of how I want them. And still gathering info and advice before I epoxy or glue anything. So you might have even changed my mind on how I wanna do it! Thank you, all this helps. I'm gathering info an such, even little but important things like using JB for the motor retainers, learning slipknots, using OpenRocket, making sure to scuff the motor tube, etc...taking notes on paper too as well and digitally. So this is basically improving and refreshing ny build technologies and memory of where I left off in 2013. I'm not rushing to shove the biggest I motor in a small rocket, I want this to be a great L1 cert flight. And if it fails, I have 5 more L1 threads rockets with a true Mega Der Red Max I bought in 2013 I'm gonna build for a 38mm motor later this winter, Aerotech G-Force, Mercury Eng. Integrator, 3D Rocketrys 3Demon, and another Estes Pro-Serieskits. I just want the rockets to have best setup possible, so I'm asking and searching daily when I can...

Attachments

• 20230625_235325.jpg
    20230625_235325.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230625_220749.jpg
    20230625_220749.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230625_235449.jpg
    20230625_235449.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230625-192048_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230625-192048_Gallery.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230624_113817.jpg
    20230624_113817.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230624_161348.jpg
    20230624_161348.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
Was a little concerned using the mule tape inside the BT. So wanted to use that smaller kelvar line, to a quick link. Also gonna have a nomex shock cord sleeve. But the mule tape is def I think better than the elastic shock cord I bought.
For HPR, its usually kevlar or tubular nylon - thats what most vendors provide, and both tend to used in kits from vendors. But my question was, why are you combining two different materials in the shock chord instead of just using a single, and since you are already using a type thats normally used in the hobby, what does the second one bring? Not saying you shouldn't, just getting you thinking about it. :)

Knots is a whole big deep whole to dive into. :) Especially when you get into knot strength vs reduction in line strength, and then into braiding, sewing, etc. :)

For stuff I've done with HPR I mainly use two knots

https://www.animatedknots.com/improved-clinch-knot - tie the shock chord to the quick link, eyebolt/u-bolt or swivel.
https://www.animatedknots.com/alpine-butterfly-loop-knot - introduce a loop into the shock chord line for attaching chutes

But if you read through forums, there are lots of thoughts on this subject :)

For HPR, its usually kevlar or tubular nylon - thats what most vendors provide, and both tend to used in kits from vendors. But my question was, why are you combining two different materials in the shock chord instead of just using a single, and since you are already using a type thats normally used in the hobby, what does the second one bring? Not saying you shouldn't, just getting you thinking about it. :)

Knots is a whole big deep whole to dive into. :) Especially when you get into knot strength vs reduction in line strength, and then into braiding, sewing, etc. :)

For stuff I've done with HPR I mainly use two knots

https://www.animatedknots.com/improved-clinch-knot - tie the shock chord to the quick link, eyebolt/u-bolt or swivel.
https://www.animatedknots.com/alpine-butterfly-loop-knot - introduce a loop into the shock chord line for attaching chutes

But if you read through forums, there are lots of thoughts on this subject :)
I've still been reading, and asking, and watching videos daily for the past few weeks, even bought a paper book. But after seeing what everyone uses, and many different techniques im still looking at options. I had someone who is giving me advice, he has his L1 and L2, and he used the Kelvar line like I have in the spool, and 1/2" elastic shock cord, you can see that in the picture where its all laid out on the floor. Thats what I was going to use when I first starting building this a few weeks ago. I like that setup and have no problem with using it, but also just was given that "mule tape" yesterday and have been looking at 3/8" kevlar strap that rocketry book reccomended, but it seems to be out of stock and im not paying an arm and a leg for shock cord I can buy a spool of. So that's something new added to the mix, and now asking I've seen many said its ok to and they have even been using that mule tape it or a similar brand just from the motor tube centering ring eyelet run the full length to the quicklink at the chute or nosecone however you choose to do it. So I kind of found a better way just yesterday. But my at first my thoughts were a few weeks ago was to use the yellow kevlar line from the motor tube centering eyelet bolt, to about a foot out of the BT, then a quicklink to that elastic. If that elastic cord didn't work good or started to deteriorate over time I could replace it or upgrade it easily that its not all the way down attached at the eyelet bolt in the BT. Its a BT-80 tube and I cannot fit my hand down to take that setup off and use 3/8 kevlar strap instead. But now that I have that mule tape I might run it the entire length. The knots ill work on later, I rather loop whatever I use over the quicklinks and eyelet bolts in the BT and NC and stitch it. I wanted to do this 10 years ago but didn't, I don't have a exact setup for the recovery system. So I just needed to pull the trigger and start planning and actual physical build, which is why I started of with those base parts, and build from that. But there are a few options, so Im looking for the most functional setup for strength and longevity. I got my old collection back, so I have many Choices to build and have on standby for an L1 Cert flight. The Aerotech G-Force, Mercury Engineering Integrator, 3D Rocketry's 3Demon, Estes Partizon, and Estes Mega Der Red Max(but that's getting a 38mm motor along with a few upgrades). Its the good MDRM from back when they sold the 40" tall x 4dia" ones. There's so much info coming in from everywhere from advice to questions. Also learning OpenRocket, joined SPAAR here in PA. Gonna go fly with them in July on the 29th, and hopefully a few more times this year. then next year join URRG or MARS, or MDRA in MD for my L1cert flight when a motor vendor is present. But I'm still remaining patient until I know for sure, how I want it built....Michael B.

Last edited:
And the yellow kevlar pc in the tube for it not getting burnt to a crisp and making it a little nice and smaller nomex cord protector. I'm making them myself, made a small one all by hand even the stitching to test it, works great. Now I'm gonna make bigger ones, and add the slot for the shock cordvor quick link that I attach it to.

BT-80 DD rocket that I've just finished ejection charge testing.... 1/8 Kevlar line. This one doesn't, but I've run the Kevlar through a tube through the centering rings besides the the motor mount and looped it around the motor mount with a cinch knot - pretty much what I do on most of the LPR and MPR rockets I build.

BT-80 DD rocket that I've just finished ejection charge testing.... 1/8 Kevlar line. This one doesn't, but I've run the Kevlar through a tube through the centering rings besides the the motor mount and looped it around the motor mount with a cinch knot - pretty much what I do on most of the LPR and MPR rockets I build.
Since I started again I've been using alot of MPR building techniques on the last few builds. Just made an Olympus with one piece thru the wall fins, with tabs, but wrapping the shock cord around the tube and going up and under the CR. But I have that 1/8 kevlar spool, some 135 lb test for the smaller rockets, and bought 10 feet for this one but have better options, and about 2000 years of kevlar mule tape, that for free. So I'm set for a while!! LoL!

Last edited:
Well they charged me for shipping by accident on the Jollylogic chute release. And they took another $11.65 off the order for my inconvenience of having to call. So got it for $137.12 shipped with PA sales tax added in. Rocketryworks was out and added that he said he doesn't know when they will be in stock and to jump on one if Amazon had a good price. And Apogee charges a hazmat fee plus the $141 base price to Amazon's $139.95.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230627-002210_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627-002210_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Its here...

Attachments

• 20230629_174214.jpg
    20230629_174214.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230629_174220.jpg
    20230629_174220.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230629_174228.jpg
    20230629_174228.jpg
    855.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230629_174300.jpg
    20230629_174300.jpg
  • 20230629_174328.jpg
    20230629_174328.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230629_174534.jpg
    20230629_174534.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Well they charged me for shipping by accident on the Jollylogic chute release. And they took another $11.65 off the order for my inconvenience of having to call. So got it for $137.12 shipped with PA sales tax added in. Rocketryworks was out and added that he said he doesn't know when they will be in stock and to jump on one if Amazon had a good price. And Apogee charges a hazmat fee plus the $141 base price to Amazon's $139.95.
Yes, Apogee is well-known for charging a premium on resold products.

I would not mind paying it for a product that the information on the site (which is very extensive and valuable) helped me select, or for an exclusive product, but for most part I’m shopping elsewhere.

Well I'm still working on this build. I've since joined the NAR, and went to SPAAR here in PA and set a few off since I made this OG post. Doing some other upgrades now wirh some other rockets so this gor put on hold. I'm sure most of you guys have seen those posts. Took some of your advice and just went and had fun. I have some to more to build now for my Cert flight(and thst gives me many more options as I probably posted but its been some time since I've viewed this entire thread post for post). I'm going up to URRG Sept 9th, for the picnic and might fly a few after I join that club too. I hope maybe then to get my L1 this year, but it probably won't be until next year like planned. Then they have LDRS @ URRG next June. I'm not missing that. But ill have several rockets i can use for that L1 cert flight. I'm going to starting building this too. I went back and forth if I should do an Alpha white/red/blue upscale or just keep it Orange/Black. I'm going with Orange/Black. I'm still up and down about the recovery system but I can work on that. I liked the idea of using the kevlar and elastic, and if the elastic goes bad which its the good kind and it should not, I can replace it. But im waiting for centering rings now for this as im using them for my Super Big Bertha upgrade. I don't dont want this thread to get buried and would rather post my entire build in one post. So as soon as I get those rings I'll be building this that day. Just an update I've been working to clean up an old collection.

This is another build thats still in the corner!
I should have updated this long ago as I took the advice of many that posted in this thread. Since the last post in August 8th, I've since earned my NAR L1 certification with my 29mm Mercury Engineering Integrator that ironically James at RocketyWorks made upgrades for. That was done at URRG in NY, 11/4/23 with a Aerotech H135W-14A. I'm mentioning this as ill explain more about that flight and my thoughts, and reason for posting here. Its definitely a good example of what to do and not...

After this post was a meet at the Zell Farm in Elizabethtown with SPAAR here in PA. Now this was my 2nd launch day ever and about 3 weeks after the very 1st one with them. That first one was meet in Halifax, PA with SPAARas well. It was my first time going to a club launch. I was trying out everything new, getting Canopy setup, and a rhythm for these days. I even went as far to read what others use for range boxes, tables, what canopy is good. I did that and just watched videos too of launch days and had a pretty good time at my first launch ever. Only thing I forgot was bug spray. I was not very feeling fell that day but made it through the day. I twisted my knee though going after my first rocket. And then started to get very bad leg cramps, it was also about 100 degrees that day. All in all, I got 3 up and back successfully.

So that next launch day was the Zell Farm with SPAAR was on 8/19/23. I did about the same thing packing the car on Wed, loading it Friday, and then getting up and driving to setup and launch. Well I had the wrong address which was a big deal we actually drove right by the field and I looked at thought "no way they would launch there", as we drove by nobody was down in the field yet, the trailer was up by the barn that they bring the launch equipment in, and I didn't see it until the way back thru. Anyways we got there, and of course it was another day a storm or cold front had just come thru and the wind was bad. In the direction it never goes that really as soon as I got out of the car, and looked at where we were going to launch. I knew the only group of 3 or 4 trees by the pasture/barn was going to be an issue.

That day was wild, I'd say about every other rocket that went up didn't come back. And my mindset was that I'm only going to being the rockets I didn't get to launch last time. So I brought about 7 or 8, no disposable ones so to speak. I wasnt going to fly at all but then thinking I just drove almost 2 hours to not fly, im gonna try one. That one was my Estes Olympus, it flew great before on a C6-3 and it stayed low. Which is what I wanted as I broke my rule of taking the Tigres as my test flyer not matter what. That C6-3 flight was ok, I decided I'll try it again with a D12-3. I thought maybe a D12-5 would be a long of a delay for that day but perfect for it in no wind. I wanted the chute to come out soon and it not to coast those extra 2 seconds. Now in between these flights and settting up, it was jusy one of the wildest days I've experienced myself or have seen from launch videos. That flight with the Olympus and the D12-3 ended up landing in those trees I thought would be an issue. It caught a few rockets, and mine by about 2 feet and it stayed there. That was about 930 or so, I spent the rest of the day trying to get it out, we finally left about 15:30 or 16:00 and drove the 2 hours home. I had many thoughts that day, and on the way home, then after. It was time to think a little bit.

I don't have any pictures from that day, as I deleted them all. It was that bad of a day or experience. Another thing that made it bad was a rocket hit a service dog, and it took off. But I do have this video of my 2nd and last launch that day.

I'll finish this shortly with part 2..

Last edited:
So after I came home from Halifax, I was just feeling burnt out and somewhat defeated thst night and the next day. But I knew some of that was my fault as it was one of those "I should have done this/if I would have just a little more" type days for me. But decided then it was a good idea to make a windy day tester, that would have some ideas for tree recoveries. A drone plucking them out of trees is what I see most effective in the long run.

But I thought a little and grabbed my yellow High-Flier XL, first thing I did was take the single 3/16" launch lug off and added 2- 1/4" lugs to it. One bad thing too, which is why I almost didn't launch that Olympus is with the wind that day it was binding bad on the launch rod. So from now on, even ny smaller builds will have at least two lugs or one lager one. Or rail buttons or guides I have them too and a 1010 rail for launch equipment now. So I made that rocket for a windy day or at least a 24mm test flyer for launch days.

I gave that High-Flier XL two lugs, and an eyelet, and made a very long shock cord and elastic at the end so that could break. My problem with the Olympus was the kevlar wasn't going to break, which was good and bad. Had it broke the rocket would have just fallen down to the ground. So, I used a mix of kevlar for that, and then elastic at the chute attachment. The weekend after the Zell Farm then, I took that High-Flier XL and my newly made 29mm over to Bloomsburg, PA. Thats where I used to live and they habena huge field that anyone can use. I had a pretty good day that weekend after Zell Farm. Even though I had a ejection failure which once again led to a damaged Super Big Bertha, the very next flight I sent that Yellow High-Flier XL up on a E12-4. I wasnt expecting to get it back at all, it was for my Olympus. I wanted to send one at full speed into the cloud gods to pay respects to that rocket. I'm a little wired when it comes to tree losses. Especially when that Olympus almost fell down out of that tree that day.

But the yellow High-Flier XL went up and to probably 1200 feet or so, and then landed about 100 feet from the pad. I had a really great day. And I started put with my Tigres, then a C6-3 in the H-F XL, C11-3, D12-3, then the E12-4. Super Big Bertha went up on an old E9-4, it never ejected and that was trashed. Pictures are below.

So I went home and pretty much worked on fixing that SBB, then on 9/16/23. We had another launch day with SPAAR at Halifax, PA again. I got about 16 or 18 flights up that day, the best being Super Big Bertha on a F23-4FJ, to around 750 feet. Once again landed about 100 feet from thr pad and maybe 25 feet from me. That was also another great day. And the weekend before that I decided to just drive up to URRG and watch. So dis just that September 9th. We drove up and it ended up about a 6 hour round trip. But it was so nice to go just watch, it was very low attendance that day too so I got to talk to Larry the URRG club President, meet Teddy from OneBadHawk.com...

But that day also made me say its time to go for my L1, after watching a Jr member get his cert that day I knew I was ready. So, that week was busy getting ready then for the SPAAR launch on 9/16, so I didn't do much. Then after that I started looking into URRGs schedule, and long story short Nov 4th and 5th looked like a good time to make the attempt. Problem was they had no flight days from Sept 10th to Nov 3rd as they were all scrubbed due to rain. So at the beginning of October I decided to build the cert rocket, did that daily, joined URRG, got all the paperwork for the cert filled out, etc...

Well that flight was wild, freak ejection happened about 2 seconds into the flight. Luckily the rocket survived and I was given the certification. Now I've been thinking as this was 2 weeks ago, how would that first rocket have survived that? It probably wouldn't have been as pretty. Which has me wanting to go ahead with this build as I was going to do the flight. I'm curious to see had I used this one what the result would have been, and it would be nice to have a full flight, lol. So what I'm going to do is bond this over the winter then next Spring outna H115DM in it, and set the really for 300 feet at see what happens. So I'll be updating this thread as well. I've just been busy to the point where I haven't touched this rocket in months.

Some videos:

Attachments

• 20230827_102924.jpg
    20230827_102924.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230827_114022.jpg
    20230827_114022.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230827_222244_484.jpg
    IMG_20230827_222244_484.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230828_190906.jpg
    20230828_190906.jpg
  • 20230902_210609.jpg
    20230902_210609.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230902_204657.jpg
    20230902_204657.jpg
  • 20230909_111739.jpg
    20230909_111739.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230909_140839.jpg
    20230909_140839.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231020_220130.jpg
    20231020_220130.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230913_095840.jpg
    20230913_095840.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230916_102830.jpg
    20230916_102830.jpg
    9.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230917_233237_058.jpg
    IMG_20230917_233237_058.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230917-151713_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230917-151713_Video Player.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230916_142614.jpg
    20230916_142614.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230916_152425.jpg
    20230916_152425.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231025_114116.jpg
    20231025_114116.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231026_192258.jpg
    20231026_192258.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231028_111331.jpg
    20231028_111331.jpg
  • 20231103_124641.jpg
    20231103_124641.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231103_125526.jpg
    20231103_125526.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231103_132407.jpg
    20231103_132407.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231103_140056.jpg
    20231103_140056.jpg
    973.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231104_095412.jpg
    20231104_095412.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231104_120117.jpg
    20231104_120117.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231104_122707.jpg
    20231104_122707.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
More pics, continuing from above in order with the text.

Attachments

• 20231105_100045.jpg
    20231105_100045.jpg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231105_100028.jpg
    20231105_100028.jpg
    881 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231105_095958.jpg
    20231105_095958.jpg
  • 20231105_090944.jpg
    20231105_090944.jpg