Winchester 308 Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, the official dimensions with tolerances for all industry-standard cartridges are all cataloged here, with the documents available as free downloads:

https://saami.org/technical-information/ansi-saami-standards/
.308 has a tapered case. There are only a handful of cartridges with straight walls, and all the ones I can think of off the top of my head are rimmed.

The Estes Argent PSII rocket does the form factor when you shorten the upper tube; I was going to build it with clear fins but my buddy that was going to cut them was in the mist of a divorce and they never happened.

I like your version as well.

FYI, the official dimensions with tolerances for all industry-standard cartridges are all cataloged here, with the documents available as free downloads:

https://saami.org/technical-information/ansi-saami-standards/
.308 has a tapered case. There are only a handful of cartridges with straight walls, and all the ones I can think of off the top of my head are rimmed.

Huh? What did I miss? That brass casing in post #1 looks like a 308 to me and it is a tapered case, not straight walled?

Huh? What did I miss? That brass casing in post #1 looks like a 308 to me and it is a tapered case, not straight walled?

You didn't miss anything. My OCD would go through the book, looking for a straight-wall, bottleneck case, of which there are precious few.

It has occurred to me in the past to try to build a version of a 175gr SMK or whatever target bullet has the highest BC with clear fins. Would be a little different.

I have been chuckling about how flying the whole cartridge is going to resemble the graphics done by ignorant anti-gun propagandists where they portray the entire case flying out of the muzzle. :)

I think the point is that all bottleneck cartridges taper at least a small amount. I don't think the difference from perfectly straight is enough to detract from the concept for rocket design purposes.

Great idea!

22 rimfire is straight wall but has that rim at the back end that would not be good for a rocket I'm thinking. 9mm and some other handgun cartridges are fairly close to or are straight wall - they do have that notch at the back, but at least it's not a true rim that sticks out.

Man I have to make one of these! Of a different bullet of course, otherwise it would be copying. :)

Back