Wildman & Crazy Jim " Flying Circus" 2011 LDRS hits the road

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
For those who may be interested in following our antics again this year I have begun to post what we are building for the roadshow in this thread along with finishing my stuff.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=22533&page=4

Starts at the bottom of this page:

The new "Mega" carbon fincan. Surface mounted minimum diameter 12in fincan.

Bollard rocket.

Ultimate Wildman 6in.

98 mm minimum diameter project.

4 rockets to be built & readied in 1 week. We leave for LDRS one week from this monday.

Attachments

• 100_9342.jpg
    100_9342.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_9351.jpg
    100_9351.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 21
This is what's going in the hole in the "Mega". A single use Carbon fiber P-motor. Should fly it to over 20,000ft. That's a 25ft, 325lb. rocket!

Read all about it in the above mentioned thread!

It would lift alot of Cheese & it does cost a bunch of cheddar!

Attachments

• 100_9355.jpg
    100_9355.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 38
This is what's going in the hole in the "Mega". A single use Carbon fiber P-motor. Should fly it to over 20,000ft. That's a 25ft, 325lb. rocket!

Looks like a fracking nuke!

[YOUTUBE]puXQhJGUDvc[/YOUTUBE]

ummmm..........................dang.

I sadly shan't be there are LDRS, but methinks I might feel this one (here in Southern Utah) when it launches.

We do have a little work to do This week.
Run WILDMAN'S
Make over 150 kits
finish paint prep on mega , mount motor bulk plate mega, paint at least mega booster and one more body section.
receive 1 truck full of CTI
receive one truck of performance
Finish my bollard rocket
plus next week end we have another 2 day launch
And Jackie will be gone Tuesday through Sunday
Its good to have friends
The Manny's for the bulk plate and building the new mega pad
Greg Grabacki for the all of the carbon work and His wife Linda for loosing him for a month to the workshop to build it
Jim For all of this help
Thank you
Tim

Nice...if Tim is having a "sale" on PR 4" Nike Smokes, I'll probably have to pony up at LDRS :D

Tim,

I do believe the Bollords are gonna need a tad bit of weight in the nose. Especially with the 3in holes. Bryon added a pound to his nose. Not sure what Bob is gonna need with the 4in hole. Still got to put the bay together and install some kind of anchor for the nose cone. Can we call it a nose cone???

Mike Smeltzer

Tim,

I do believe the Bollords are gonna need a tad bit of weight in the nose. Especially with the 3in holes. Bryon added a pound to his nose. Not sure what Bob is gonna need with the 4in hole. Still got to put the bay together and install some kind of anchor for the nose cone. Can we call it a nose cone???

Mike Smeltzer

Just use a longer motor!

And I . . . um . . . only built mine with a 54mm motor mount.:eek:

Bob "At least I built mine" Brown

PS: I'm not planning on putting any nose weight in mine as I don't think it's necessary.

Bob, are you all going to drag race these Bollards and if so, when?

Bob, are you all going to drag race these Bollards and if so, when?

Yes we are and I think it's on Sunday (or Saturday, no wait, Friday). Bill, to be honest, I haven't a clue when this will take place!

We thought we were going to have to wait for Tim to finish his but it seems as though he's too good to work on the lowly Bollard!

Bob "Mike, Byron, and I built ours! What about you Tim?" Brown:tongue:

.......Disclaimer.......Warning..........Danger Will Robinson .......

Please be aware of the lurking imminent disaster awaiting in the wings of Bollard racing.

I understand some have forgotten to removed the steel pipe from the bollards AND others[who shall remain anonymous] have been built with sawdust & superglue fillets.

Mike just drill a hole in the center of the nose cone part of the bollard and stick an eyebolt in it. Problem solved. Cover the nut with a blob of epoxy, no metal showing in the "pasture.''

Just use a longer motor!

And I . . . um . . . only built mine with a 54mm motor mount.:eek:

Yeah RIGHT!!!!!!!:fly:

Bob believe it or not, we actually have a rocksim file on these things...

Mike Smeltzer

Last edited:
.......Disclaimer.......Warning..........Danger Will Robinson .......

Please be aware of the lurking imminent disaster awaiting in the wings of Bollard racing.

I understand some have forgotten to removed the steel pipe from the bollards AND others[who shall remain anonymous] have been built with sawdust & superglue fillets.

Mike just drill a hole in the center of the nose cone part of the bollard and stick an eyebolt in it. Problem solved. Cover the nut with a blob of epoxy, no metal showing in the "pasture.''

Jim,

Mine's a bit heavy I think. I got mine from work, just knocked it down with a truck. Looks like it's got a bit of cement still in it, but I think I found my nose weight already pre-installed.:eek:

I talked to Tim about the eyebolt earlier. I got some plans.

Getting ready...

Mike Smeltzer
Who may be sorry he ever got all these bollards in the first place

Yes Bob I built all of mine except gluing the fins on, Cj did that for me while I was at a launch and he was putting the fins on his ultimate.
I did even more than that, I made all of the Custom rings and bulk plates for mine, yours ,Mikes and Byron's
Tim

Yes Bob I built all of mine except gluing the fins on, Cj did that for me while I was at a launch and he was putting the fins on his ultimate.
I did even more than that, I made all of the Custom rings and bulk plates for mine, yours ,Mikes and Byron's
Tim

Wait Wait Wait, I shaped the fins on both our Bollards!!! Ideas, I got's ideas.

Whoa, getting good. Yup stir the pot a bit. I'm missing the nose cone bulk plate. Wait, is this really a nose cone or a nose round-over thingy?...

Mike Smeltzer
My Bollards shorter than yours!
(Wait a minute, that didn't come out right)

Yes Mike Mine is bigger than yours .:)
you have a nose roundy thingy, mine has a nipple.
Did you sand my fins too?
Tim

YUP shaped and sanded your fins too!!!!!

Consider it a joint bollard project...:cool:

Mike Smeltzer
Not admitting to a roundy thingy

OK finally got the electronics bay finished on the Bollard. The Bollard sidewall thickness is not consistent and I had problems getting the bay in without being too tight. Finally had to sand the sidewalls of the Bollard a bit. Should be alright now. Have to take a couple of pictures before we fly, just in case.

Looking forward to this drag race. Looks like a total of 4 racing these things. I leave for LDRS Tuesday with a stop over in KC to visit relatives. Plan on getting to Argonia Wed afternoon to meet up with Bryon.

See you guys there...

Mike Smeltzer

What does one of these cost???

Back