Wii, Wii U, X Box, or Play Station for a 7 Year Old?? Take me to school!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and you might be tempted to try 2 or 3 or more players in Mario. In my experience, it never ends well. It might be fun to try as a diversion, but don't expect it to be productive. Some games are great for multiple players. Mario just makes you mad at the other players.

I have to say that this is 100% correct.

Games are typically a matter of personal choice, but in general, with kids, I've found you can't really go wrong with Mario Kart or Super Smash Bros. Heck, my nieces loved Smash Bros.! Go figure...

Games such as Super Mario 3D World and Zelda (multiple games) require a combination of paying attention, sticking to a game, and manual dexterity that may be a wee bit much in younger children. With these games, the child typically likes watching the adult play. Super Mario 3D World actually has a cooperative mode, so you could help your child out, or they could run around while you play...

The Lego Series games typically get really high marks from gamers, so read the reviews and see what your kid likes. If you already have Mario Kart and the Skylanders game, you may be set for a little while.

Oh, there aren't a whole bunch of first person shooters (thank god, I was sick of those eons ago), but Nintendo did come out with Splatoon, which is non-violent and has been getting great reviews. Basically, you run around and shoot paint in an arena, and which ever team covers the most area in a certain time wins. I'm mentioning this just because it is a unique and nice take on this type of game (first person shooters). It would be easy for a kid to grasp and play.

Great info, thanks everybody. We also snagged an Nintendo Wii U Pro controller at Target with their 15% off and it's ready to be picked up. The grand parents are wanting to buy games and I agree, 2 is probably plenty for a long time. Back in the day, my friends and I were totally hooked on Ninja Gaiden and we played it day (mixed with some wiffle ball and rocket launching..) and night. I can still play it in my sleep...

Wii U is more targeted towards kids. While PS4 and XBox One have games suitable for kids, they are targeted towards the older audiences.

ahh, wiffle ball...those were the days. Please tell me kids still play wiffle ball!

BTW, I also remembered, Kerbal Space Program will be released for the Wii U in early 2016 (I think as a download through their e-Shop), so there is also that to play. For the adults, at least...

The online shop is cool as well, since you can go buy tons of historical nintendo titles, anything from NES to N64, and play them on the Wii. Original Super Mario Bros, Megaman, Ninja Gaiden.

ahh, wiffle ball...those were the days. Please tell me kids still play wiffle ball!

I haven't seen any kids playing wiffle ball that for sure. However, they do still make them. I almost bought my son one last year but thought it could wait another year. They're pretty cheap and would make for a good stocking stuffer. I may need to revisit this come to think of it... On a side note, I'm trying to find one of those old school Nerf footballs, no bells or whistles, just a soft foam football. I've seen a few with fins on them. I guess those have been modernized :).

I haven't seen any kids playing wiffle ball that for sure. However, they do still make them. I almost bought my son one last year but thought it could wait another year. They're pretty cheap and would make for a good stocking stuffer. I

Oh people still play whiffle ball. There is a place near where I grew up in VT that has a scale sized Fenway park and Wrigley field to play whiffle ball.
https://littlefenway.com/site/

We did my brother's bachelor party there a few years ago and it is quite amazing the love and energy which went into building this!

Oh people still play whiffle ball. There is a place near where I grew up in VT that has a scale sized Fenway park and Wrigley field to play whiffle ball.
https://littlefenway.com/site/

We did my brother's bachelor party there a few years ago and it is quite amazing the love and energy which went into building this!

Totally forgot about this. I saw a story on CNN about this or someplace similar. There was a bar next door or in the dugout where you can get nice and hammered drunk and play a little whiffle ball! I thought it was geared more toward bachelors or recently married dudes. Don't see anything like that in these parts but it's cool nonetheless.

Latest posts

Back