Why was the egg timer classic discontinued?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BMP180 baro sensor has been EOL for several years, our supply of them ran out and there are no reliable sources for them. The 3.3V regulator in the TO-92 package also just went EOL.

The BMP180 baro sensor has been EOL for several years, our supply of them ran out and there are no reliable sources for them. The 3.3V regulator in the TO-92 package also just went EOL.
Ok, that’s sad I love mine. you planing a redesign like the quasar.

I am not planning to re-release the Classic. It's a 12 year-old design, and we have much more capable (and easier to use) units available.

I really like my EggTimer (and EggFinder) products, but I'm probably in a minority opinion that I find the Classic to be the easiest to use of all. I personally find it very difficult to deal with wifi connections, remembering ip addresses, and trying to get web pages to "refresh".

I would love to have the ability to use a straightforward terminal on future altimeter designs. Maybe consider it a feature request?

The Quark doesn't use wifi and is super easy to use, and pretty easy to build. Turn it on, listen for correct beeps and fly your rocket.

Check that out if you want a simple dual deploy altimeter. Can't beat it for $20.

cheers - mark

Agreed, I have two of those as well (and an Apogee). I miss the data logging and air start capabilities of the Classic. The Classic just ticks all my boxes, probably my favorite.

Agreed, I have two of those as well (and an Apogee). I miss the data logging and air start capabilities of the Classic. The Classic just ticks all my boxes, probably my favorite.
I fell in love with the TRS, and have owned quite a few of those units. It gets (and keeps) GPS lock very quickly, and I love being able to change settings, arm for flight, track, and navigate to my rocket without getting out my phone if I don't want to. Obviously it doesn't have the power usage of the WiFi interface, either. I don't own a Quasar (yet), but maybe I'll learn to like it even more.🙂 Change is hard.

I fell in love with the TRS, and have owned quite a few of those units. It gets (and keeps) GPS lock very quickly, and I love being able to change settings, arm for flight, track, and navigate to my rocket without getting out my phone if I don't want to. Obviously it doesn't have the power usage of the WiFi interface, either. I don't own a Quasar (yet), but maybe I'll learn to like it even more.🙂 Change is hard.
Isn't that the truth. I hate change.

Would you consider releasing the PCB files so people can modify them?
Modify them how? For another baro sensor? You'd have to rewrite the firmware too... the later Bosch parts are not software-compatible with the BMP180. Not worth the effort... which is why I did not do it. Plus, as I have mentioned, the regulator went EOL too.

Modify them how? For another baro sensor? You'd have to rewrite the firmware too... the later Bosch parts are not software-compatible with the BMP180. Not worth the effort... which is why I did not do it. Plus, as I have mentioned, the regulator went EOL too.
Any chance a simple 2 pyro channel recording altimeter with 300 to 1200 main deploy in 100 ft intervals with 1 and/or 2 second apogee delay configurations, be in the works? Just temp and altitude with charge firing marks for recording at 100 samples per second and 5 or 10 flights recording would be great. Something that can run on 9V batteries or 1S LiPos.

Any chance a simple 2 pyro channel recording altimeter with 300 to 1200 main deploy in 100 ft intervals with 1 and/or 2 second apogee delay configurations, be in the works? Just temp and altitude with charge firing marks for recording at 100 samples per second and 5 or 10 flights recording would be great. Something that can run on 9V batteries or 1S LiPos.

Sounds a lot like the Stratologger CF! If only they were easier to get....

Are you actually going to use the recording? If not, just get a Quark... $20, and it "just works". If you want recording and data, get a Quantum for $40. I don't see doing anything in-between those two... do you REALLY want to have to mess with a cable and a laptop to get your data out, or even worse, to configure it in the field?

I didn't think so... that's why we have the WiFi interface. No cables, computers, Internet, phone apps, etc., it just connects directly to your phone's WiFi/browser.

Are you actually going to use the recording? If not, just get a Quark... $20, and it "just works". If you want recording and data, get a Quantum for $40. I don't see doing anything in-between those two... do you REALLY want to have to mess with a cable and a laptop to get your data out, or even worse, to configure it in the field?

I didn't think so... that's why we have the WiFi interface. No cables, computers, Internet, phone apps, etc., it just connects directly to your phone's WiFi/browser.
Cris, I understand where your coming from, but for me, there is no middle ground there. Either a quark with no recording and no reporting of battery voltage but can use the same 9V battery for a long time, or the WiFi enabled altimeter that needs to have the bay opened and the LiPo battery charged every flight.

Those two may be perfect for most folks, for me, the perfect altimeter is a recording altimeter that can save 2 - 3 or more flights, has main and drogue channels, beeps out battery voltage on startup so I can track that without opening the bay, and works for extended time (1 - 3 years) on a 9V battery. I would gladly go without wifi if I don't have to open the bay and charge a battery every flight, I find that to be a huge hassle. I am quite happy with only having to open the bay once in a while at home to connect my computer the few time I do want the data, change a battery that was reported lower than I like, or very rarely change a configuration.

When I go to a launch, which are 2 day launches, I have 2-4 DD rockets I want to fly each day. When I get home after that first day, I want to redo the matches and charges and pack the chutes so they are all ready to fly again the next day. Having to open bays, recharge batteries, etc. means I don't get enough sleep because I certainly don't want to waste time at the field doing those things.

I seldom download data, but when I want the flight data I don't mind using the computer when I get home. I configure an altimeter once for the rocket and have never changed a configuration in the field or at home unless I've moved the altimeter to a different rocket. I also like using 9V batteries and not having to open the av-bay every time I want to fly. I've never had a connection come loose in the av-bay in 15 years so checking connections is also not a reason from me to open the bays. In fact, it's a reason not to open them and disturb the wiring.

So for me, the perfect altimeter is a recording altimeter that can save 2 - 3 or more flights, has main and drogue channels, beeps out battery voltage on startup so I can track that without opening the bay, and works for extended time on a 9V battery. I would gladly go without wifi if I don't have to open the bay and charge a battery every flight and only have to open the bay to connect my computer the few time a year I do want the data.

I'm probably an outlier and don't fly rockets or use altimeters the way most others do so I'm probably a bad example when it comes to what the market wants.

True but someone probably will want it for reference if thay are designing their altimeter.

Compared to the Eggtimer Classic, the Quantum (rev. B#) has a much nicer and simpler design to serve as inspiration for a home-grown altimeter.

If I had a copy of the Classic source code, I'd be inclined to try modifying it into a "Classic" firmware for the Quantum. That would turn it into a WiFi-less flight computer with significant power savings.

"And they hurled their warranty into the void of space with no fear."

The Quark doesn't use wifi and is super easy to use, and pretty easy to build. Turn it on, listen for correct beeps and fly your rocket.

Check that out if you want a simple dual deploy altimeter. Can't beat it for $20.

cheers - mark
The main reason I go for Quantums over Quarks is that the Quark does not save a flight record.

Cris, I understand where your coming from, but for me, there is no middle ground there. Either a quark with no recording and no reporting of battery voltage but can use the same 9V battery for a long time, or the WiFi enabled altimeter that needs to have the bay opened and the LiPo battery charged every flight.

Those two may be perfect for most folks, for me, the perfect altimeter is a recording altimeter that can save 2 - 3 or more flights, has main and drogue channels, beeps out battery voltage on startup so I can track that without opening the bay, and works for extended time (1 - 3 years) on a 9V battery. I would gladly go without wifi if I don't have to open the bay and charge a battery every flight, I find that to be a huge hassle. I am quite happy with only having to open the bay once in a while at home to connect my computer the few time I do want the data, change a battery that was reported lower than I like, or very rarely change a configuration.

When I go to a launch, which are 2 day launches, I have 2-4 DD rockets I want to fly each day. When I get home after that first day, I want to redo the matches and charges and pack the chutes so they are all ready to fly again the next day. Having to open bays, recharge batteries, etc. means I don't get enough sleep because I certainly don't want to waste time at the field doing those things.

I seldom download data, but when I want the flight data I don't mind using the computer when I get home. I configure an altimeter once for the rocket and have never changed a configuration in the field or at home unless I've moved the altimeter to a different rocket. I also like using 9V batteries and not having to open the av-bay every time I want to fly. I've never had a connection come loose in the av-bay in 15 years so checking connections is also not a reason from me to open the bays. In fact, it's a reason not to open them and disturb the wiring.

So for me, the perfect altimeter is a recording altimeter that can save 2 - 3 or more flights, has main and drogue channels, beeps out battery voltage on startup so I can track that without opening the bay, and works for extended time on a 9V battery. I would gladly go without wifi if I don't have to open the bay and charge a battery every flight and only have to open the bay to connect my computer the few time a year I do want the data.

I'm probably an outlier and don't fly rockets or use altimeters the way most others do so I'm probably a bad example when it comes to what the market wants.
I get that a lot of you are having withdrawal pains from not being able to get a Stratologger CF, but I'm not going to clone one just because PF isn't able to supply them. When I design something, it's different than whatever else is on the market... just cloning another product to sell it cheaper as a kit isn't my style.

Compared to the Eggtimer Classic, the Quantum (rev. B#) has a much nicer and simpler design to serve as inspiration for a home-grown altimeter.

If I had a copy of the Classic source code, I'd be inclined to try modifying it into a "Classic" firmware for the Quantum. That would turn it into a WiFi-less flight computer with significant power savings.

I would definitely use this capability. I like the simplicity of an altimeter that records flight data and I can enable with the turn of a switch. I don't like having to fumble with my phone to arm my altimeters when I'm at the pad. If I'm flying redundant DD with a quasar and quantam that's two devices I have to switch between when I'm at the pad. If I have a RunCam on the rocket that's a third WiFi signal I have to connect to. I only own eggtimer altimeters and trackers and I really like them. When I first started using them I liked the WiFi capability but as I've gotten into more redundant DD flying I find the WiFi arming to be a hassle. I suppose I should look into using the auto-arm feature but so far I have not gone down that path. That would probably simplify pad setup.

"And they hurled their warranty into the void of space with no fear."
There is virtually no Classic code in the Quantum... everything is completely different, down to the buzzer.
I would definitely use this capability. I like the simplicity of an altimeter that records flight data and I can enable with the turn of a switch. I don't like having to fumble with my phone to arm my altimeters when I'm at the pad. If I'm flying redundant DD with a quasar and quantam that's two devices I have to switch between when I'm at the pad. If I have a RunCam on the rocket that's a third WiFi signal I have to connect to. I only own eggtimer altimeters and trackers and I really like them. When I first started using them I liked the WiFi capability but as I've gotten into more redundant DD flying I find the WiFi arming to be a hassle. I suppose I should look into using the auto-arm feature but so far I have not gone down that path. That would probably simplify pad setup.
You do not have to arm the Quantum remotely... you can configure it to "auto-arm" 60 seconds after power-on, just like "other" altimeters. You can do that with the Proton & Quasar, too. So, if you want to use a mechanical switch on the power and pre-prep your AV bay so you don't have to open it up at the field, you certainly can.

There is virtually no Classic code in the Quantum... everything is completely different, down to the buzzer.

You do not have to arm the Quantum remotely... you can configure it to "auto-arm" 60 seconds after power-on, just like "other" altimeters. You can do that with the Proton & Quasar, too. So, if you want to use a mechanical switch on the power and pre-prep your AV bay so you don't have to open it up at the field, you certainly can.
I still want to know if you would consider releasing the PCB files if it’s a no that’s fine but I don’t see why you wouldn’t it’s no skin of your nose.

Thanks for the feedback. I skipped over the auto-arm section of the manual because it's not something I had ever used but in typing my post I recalled it existed and figured it would probably give me the functionality I wanted. I am definitely going to look into using it at my next launch.

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot even begin to fathom the thought of asking a manufacturer to release their IP for free so that others can use it. Whether it is EOL or not, it is their IP, their work, their nights working till 3am to develop it.

The Classic is a simple TH design, lots of pictures online of it to reverse engineer from, they are likely also available on the used market, likely kits as well, KiCAD is free to download. Sounds like a great weekend project for those who have the initiative.

Personally, the Quark and Quantum are some of the best units on the market, and for the price, they cannot be beat. The Quantum is literally a MissileWorks RRC2L with WiFi, a fantastic web interface, you can actually DL the flights (up to 10 IIRC?), reprogram your main channel like the RRC2L, works with LiPo's out of the box, more robust electronics, safer outputs, configurable for remote arm or arm on power-up, etc.

The Quark is as simple as you can get......just fire-and-forget and with configurable APO and Main channels via jumpers and its TINYYYY. TEENY TINY!!!! And ultra-robust. I use Quantums for Primary and Quarks for Backup duty.

I will admit, I use Missileworks screw switches with terminal blocks added as they are the most robust screw switch out there, its also decently sized and less easy to break. I have used some others and the brass nut has broken off the backside on all of them. :-\

Last edited:
I just came here to say that I built a Quantum last night, and I plan to build another one this evening. In my opinion, they are the perfect flight computer. What's easier and safer than programming and remotely arming via a web browser on my phone, and then downloading the flight data as I'm walking to the rocket?

The main reason I go for Quantums over Quarks is that the Quark does not save a flight record.
Same here. If I want to log a flight that has a Quark; I add a Eggtimer ION (or Flightsketch Mini) for data collection.

.... (I know, I know, more to do, but it does work, and only adds a couple of steps to the check sheet.)

How??

The Quantum uses the ESP-12x module; it is the MCU. In order to make a "Classic" version of the Quantum (no WiFi), you would need to redesign the Quantum to use a completely different MCU and at that point, you are literally starting from scratch. I am wondering where the point or gain actually is.....

Same here. If I want to log a flight that has a Quark; I add a Eggtimer ION (or Flightsketch Mini) for data collection.

.... (I know, I know, more to do, but it does work, and only adds a couple of steps to the check sheet.)

Quark + Ion = very simple solution with less moving parts overall and is modular which suits many peoples goals and objectives.

Latest posts

Back