Where to buy Rockets and motors in delaware

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donaldgranger

Reaction score
I spent the day yesterday travelling all over the state of Delaware looking for places to buy rockets and rocket gear. With my trusty gps i visited 4 stores yesterday surprisingly a few of the store owners told me there were no other stores to buy rockets or rocketry gear Which surprised me but i nicely informed them where the other stores were and i will save that side of the story for another post! Now i did not visit Attic Hobbies Inc US Highway 13 & Route 9, Laurel, DE (302) 875-8725 or the hobby stop in Seaford, Delaware
(302) 629-3944 which is a nice shop with just about everything and a nice supply of various rockets and the owner has a eager willingness to order whatever i wanted which i thought was cool! The first store i mentioned was actually in a flea market but i did not go south yesterday i went north so i did not visit these stores!
Now onto the stores i visited yesterday, The first store i went to was G Force hobbies, inc. https://gfhobby.com/home.html 119 Kirkwood Square‎
Wilmington, DE 19808 this store was interesting in that it had a used store next to the new stuff store they seem to be specializing mostly in the hobby of rc cars but after a brief conversation with the owner he told me they would match any price online and could order me anything i wanted and also he told me he wants to open another store in the dover area! From G-Force i purchased a estes Solar Flare two stage rocket!
From there i headed towards my next Hobby shop but came across an AC moore store so i thought i would see what they had to offer the rocket hobby world and all the way in the back left hand corner of the store i found a pretty decent supply of rockets and gear much more then Super walmart! From Ac Moore i purchased a der red max and moved on.
Then i moved on to the best old school hobby store that reminded me of the hobby stores i would visit as a kid the owner was actually building a model at the register/counter how cool!!!! This guy is 80 + years old and if you never been there you need to visit this store it is definitely worth it! He had the most rockets that ive seen all day and also had a brand i wasn't familiar with Quest ive seen the name but this was the first place ive seen them. the store is called Simpsons hobbies 709 Foulk Road Wilmington Delaware (302) 654-5022. From Bob i purchased a Payloader one by Quest that shows a clear payload section on the package but actually came with a red payload section! Also i scored a 2006 Quest catalog!
So after spending a long time at simpsons it was almost 5:00 pm and i wanted to go to another store that was close so off we went in search of more rockets i headed about 4 blocks away to Dougs Trains toys and Hobbies at 2907 Concord pike Wilmington Delaware (302)478-7750. When we pulled into the parking lot we were greeted by two humongous rockets in the window wow we must be at the right place i thought! It was an impressive store especially if you were into model trains and yes he did have a nice display of rockets and rocket gear and this is the only place today that had anything that was capable of anything over a f motor he had one estes leviaton pro series two rocket but having one already i purchased an estes Mosquito just because i wanted something from every place i visited today! So if you are interested in the hobby of rockets there are places you can go besides walmart! Of course we have the internet where we can by anything and have it shipped to our houses but it was actuallt quite fun getting out there and meeting these guys and talking to them so if you live in the 302 area check these guys out! Oh and this day started out with just finding me a rocket to work on while my girlfriend finishes sanding her rocket and getting it ready to paint!

The only shop I've visited is the Hobby Stop in Seaford. When the local LHS in Easton (MD) closed, it was the closest to me. Since then another Hobby Town has opened there (Easton) and they have a nice selection of Estes product.

The Seaford shop (as you mentioned) is a great place and the service is excellent. I still go there just to wander about the store. They have a good bit of everything for a hobbyist.

I also visit a store just across the Bridge (Star Hobbies--heavy on trains) that has a competent selection, but that is a bit far to travel if you're in mid-Delaware.

Sounds like you've found some nice places. I'll have to look in when I get up that way. Thanks for the report.

Last edited:
thanks for the Delaware shops. I've never seen rockets in an AC Moore before! On the PA side all I know of is the Hobbytowns' at 101 S Bishop Ave, Upper Darby, PA and 1502 W Chester Pike, West Chester, PA (not been in the second but I think they are operated by the same people) and Nick Smith Toys and Trains 2343 W Chester Pike, Broomall, PA. Both have pretty small selections. Although if you know some one who likes trains Nick Smith is the place to go.

Hey thanks for the info on the pa stores i will check them out next time im up that way(which will be soon ) yes ac moore, michaels, some k- marts and walmart carries rockets and usually up to c engines nothing big but hey like i said i was looking for something to mess with while girlfriend works on her nuke pro max that she is going for her level one on!!

FWIW Most of the MDRA launches are attended by Rob and Gloria of Animal Motor works. They always have a great supply (read mobile hobby store) of Model, Mid and High Power kits, motors and support gear on hand. Additionally, if you want something specific you can contact them ( https://cart.amwprox.com/) and they'll deliver it at the launch (saves on shipping). Plus you get the added bonus of being at a MDRA launch :wink:. Check here for launch schedule https://new.mdrocketry.org/ .

Hey Troy good point and i should have mentioned them they are great!
Mark they are closed for good i was their there last day they are ok they are just retiring while they can it is now a second hand store sorry to say no rockets lol!

Hey thanks for the info on the pa stores i will check them out next time im up that way(which will be soon ) yes ac moore, michaels, some k- marts and walmart carries rockets and usually up to c engines nothing big but hey like i said i was looking for something to mess with while girlfriend works on her nuke pro max that she is going for her level one on!!

I forgot the Toys'r'us on US 1 near the granite run mall usually has engine packs or they did last summer. I've not seen anything in other big box stores in PA, but have in other places.

Thanks for the recon. I have not checked out most of those places, but I may now that I know about them. I haven't needed a steady supply of motors for a while, but my stock is running low. And that's where the internet is not quite as useful because of Hazmat. I drive back and forth to Hampton Roads, VA a lot, and I've started to make a 30 second pitstop-like visit to Hobby Lobby on 13 in Salisbury to grab a MPR motor using the coupon.

Also, just a question, does anyone have a good field available local to N. Delaware for LPR/MPR, or is it just a matter of waiting on a MDRA launch?

Back