Where to buy F motors without paying $60?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad they don't have Bulk packs of F-12-8 or F-12-6. My Minimum and Sub Minimum Diameter rockets need the delay. Many keep mentioning Composites but they are noticeably more expensive and I don't have big and heavy Rockets.

If Estes sold a bulk pack of 15-8 at that price, I might have to rethink this, but the sim flight details just look soooo much prettier with composite E and F motors than with the Estes BPs. And when you look at what it actually costs to get 29mm Estes motors in reality, the composites are not much more, and can be even less. So more overall impulse, greater stability, better speed off the rod, and cost ranging from somewhat less to somewhat more. Oh, and you can dump the ejection charge and go dual deploy if you want. Easy decision.

I buy my composite motors from Wildman.. the $30 club membership has already paid for itself.

Hobby Town USA doesn't ship composite motors, but they are usually available in stores.

Ive heard about them ill check it out.

We, JonRocket.com, are at the local club launches in Oviedo on the first Saturday of the month. We have a good selection of motors for sale at the launches. Tom of Tom's Rocket Gear is also often there and he also sells motors.

The launches are also a lot of fun! Check out the club at http://www.r-o-c-k.org/

We, JonRocket.com, are at the local club launches in Oviedo on the first Saturday of the month. We have a good selection of motors for sale at the launches. Tom of Tom's Rocket Gear is also often there and he also sells motors.

The launches are also a lot of fun! Check out the club at http://www.r-o-c-k.org/
Yeah im from the Dr.phillips area and normally launch at an ok sized field. Im planning on attending the next ROCK launch if I dont have things to do over that weekend.

I'm fortunate enough to be about 10 minutes away from the biggest hobby shop in SoCal, they carry a lot of rocketry stuff including Aerotech kits and MPR motors. There's a Hobby Lobby literally across the street from them... they don't have the 29 mm motors anymore either. I think HL is only carrying 24 mm now.
Being in SoCal my self, mind sharing what store this is? My guess is that this is WAY north of San Diego and still considered SoCal! 😁 Might be worth the trip if they have lots of fun stuff!

Being in SoCal my self, mind sharing what store this is? My guess is that this is WAY north of San Diego and still considered SoCal! 😁 Might be worth the trip if they have lots of fun stuff!
I recall seeing a few E16s/F15s at the Discount Hobby in San Marcos. Might want to call ahead if you’re making a trip up there though.

Too bad they don't have Bulk packs of F-12-8 or F-12-6. My Minimum and Sub Minimum Diameter rockets need the delay. Many keep mentioning Composites but they are noticeably more expensive and I don't have big and heavy Rockets.
you don't need big/heavy rockets for composites. If the rocket is built for F motors, it can handle composite F motors. They are more expensive, but many ship without hazmat which makes them cheaper overall than getting the BP equivalent. Which is cheaper - $30 + $30 hazmat shipping, or $43 for a 2 pack of composites shipping USPS non hazmat?

you don't need big/heavy rockets for composites.
Quest makes composite motors for 18mm -- even "D" motors that fit into standard 18mm motor mounts and will send your Nike-X nice and high. I run 24mm Composite in my Big Daddy all the time (E30-4T really makes it scoot); and the result is a good flight -- so yes, you can run composites in standard Estes kits, and as long as your construction techniques are good, the rocket will survive. The superior noise and speed will wow the crowd. BP is "whoosh" sound while composite is more like "WHOOM"..... which is definitely cool.

Quest makes composite motors for 18mm -- even "D" motors that fit into standard 18mm motor mounts and will send your Nike-X nice and high. I run 24mm Composite in my Big Daddy all the time (E30-4T really makes it scoot); and the result is a good flight -- so yes, you can run composites in standard Estes kits, and as long as your construction techniques are good, the rocket will survive. The superior noise and speed will wow the crowd. BP is "whoosh" sound while composite is more like "WHOOM"..... which is definitely cool.
Exactly. No reason to not try the composites in these rockets.

Indeed.

I use the E20-7 in my Big Daddy, and at our last launch I heard someone say "What motor was that?!".

I have some E-20-7s that I like, but they are more than double the cost of an E-12-6. When I watch the videos of each it's not worth the extra cost.

Last edited:

Are you guys going to be at the ROCK launch tomorrow?

Back