Where to buy F motors without paying $60?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you priced the motors at your local hobby shop?
No hazmat, no bulk purchase necessary, and if you're lucky they might have all the delay ranges.
EDIT: Also if you're in the vicinity of a big launch maybe on site vendors have what you seek at a good price and no hazmat.

Or an F67.
😲
Flew it on an E12 w/adapter, nearly drifted out of the park.
E16 for me yesterday. It did drift off the field and almost performed an Apollo splashdown in Mission Bay. The only reason it didn’t was that the chute stuck together for a few seconds and made it an accidental JLCR flight.

BTW Shane, did you beef up your Star Orbiter to take that F52?
No but I should have. That lower body tube spiral has seen better days (although it first got that way when I was flying E16s in it). As pretty as it is compared to everything else I cobble together and as much as I love its performance, I may have to retire it from duty soon, assuming that I can even get it past the Safety Check. Or I could cut it open and stick in a coupler. That’d be a neat opportunity to give it the Vapor fins it has in the catalog 🧐

Regarding the topical F motors though…yah, a few composite Fs definitely punch above their weight (impulse?) class in terms of spectacle, and some can be had non-HAZMAT.

But no hazmat.
No shipping charge.
No bulk purchase required.

Didn't realize hazmat was needed. Never mind.

The 8-pack deal that @Pinetree mentioned is the way to go for these particular motors.

I never used the F black powder motors, and rarely the E's either. At that point, composite motors make more sense to me - less mass, more power, more coolness.

Have you priced the motors at your local hobby shop?
No hazmat, no bulk purchase necessary, and if you're lucky they might have all the delay ranges.
EDIT: Also if you're in the vicinity of a big launch maybe on site vendors have what you seek at a good price and no hazmat.
Only hobby shop near me that has rocketry is hobby lobby and the biggest motors they have are E12s

Only hobby shop near me that has rocketry is hobby lobby and the biggest motors they have are E12s

I'm fortunate enough to be about 10 minutes away from the biggest hobby shop in SoCal, they carry a lot of rocketry stuff including Aerotech kits and MPR motors. There's a Hobby Lobby literally across the street from them... they don't have the 29 mm motors anymore either. I think HL is only carrying 24 mm now.

I was wondering where i could get some f motors without paying 60 bucks for 2 on the estes website 😂
If you're in Austin, TX there is Kings Hobbies

Maybe there is a local hobby store around Orlando, FL ?

And I keep hoping if I bug them enough Hobby Lobby will stock some 29mm motors ( they do carry 24mm E-motors ).

-- kjh

EDIT: @tsmith1315's link to JonRocket is in a suberb of Orlando ... that should work !

EDIT[2]: Now I am jealous ... JonRocket has them all !

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to visit "Chris's Rocket Supplies" at the NSL West launch over the Memorial day weekend. He has many of the Estes labeled AT F26-6 motors for $17.49 each. I purchased 4 of them at that event. I recently attended the Airfest 29 launch and was able to purchase 4 more. I recommend you attend a launch, fly some rockets and buy some motors without HazMat.

I have no idea.. probably because they want to sell a bunch of them to accompany the recent "bring back" releases.

Some here have speculated that the Hazmat fee is actually there but they just rolled it into the price... all I can tell you that when I received mine, there were no Hazmat markings on the box.

I have no idea.. probably because they want to sell a bunch of them to accompany the recent "bring back" releases.

Some here have speculated that the Hazmat fee is actually there but they just rolled it into the price... all I can tell you that when I received mine, there were no Hazmat markings on the box.
Estes says that there's no hazmat on the 8-motor bulk pack. It may be like the little tricks that Aerotech uses to subvert hazmat with some of their 29mm reloads... were the motors individually wrapped?

Nope, they were in a box.
A very, very very THIN box -- mine broke during shipping, scattering F motors across the shipping box. As a result, I've been very careful with these, CA'ing the nozzle to the cardboard case of the motor, just in case. Ran 3 so far and no CATOs.

Back