Where do you keep your High Power Motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep most of mine in Wildman's trailer.....now I just have to pay for them.
I can relate! Nearly all of my reloads are (or will be) in Bobby B's warehouse, although he may not be completely aware of it yet. They will be brought up here gradually over the next several years following successive transfers of funds in the other direction. :wink:

But it's OK for an approved shipper to ship them in cardboard boxes?

No, its not okay for a shipper to ship them in cardboard boxes!

In CJL's deffence, i was being a turd.... They have to ship per DOT regulation in approved packing.(hazmat packing) i guess, they treat the cardboard with non-flamable suppressant. its also more dense like me.(to keep it from CJL's deffinition of combustion- which is actualy flamability.)
This is where DOT actually does testing. You can find a lot of RCS's Dot approvals out there on the web.
It has to be contained in a non-static plastic, and some other qualificaitons that i'm not an expert on.
From what i see, the shippers methods are approved, not, the shipper follows dot(although they do and are told to follow regulations..) and gets approved.

The problem i had with that assertion of NFPA, was that it is without regard to a real specific requirement.

What are the goals of safe storage of motors. To me this is a serious thing.
Not, lets type somehting that has zero meaning, and just sounds good at the time.
Plastic is considered a non combustable, and is the worst thing you could store a motor in imo..(if there is a fire, its toxic as heck)
In fire protection you have 1 goal in mind to be effective. That eludes nafpa in this case. Is it to prevent combustion of material inside the box, or outside the box.
everyone here will have a different "opinion" of that.
My opinion..
its to contain and prevent the spread of energy from the box to the surrounding area. And, if NFPA wants to really make the hobby "safer" and more respectable, they will write a code that has some weight and not just ignorant fluff.

To add to my point.. it doesnt matter so much what you put the propellant in.

It matters that you store it in an appropriate container for where its being kept, and its surroundings.

For instance, my storage, any cardboard is fine, if i had a "spontanious" combustion of my propellant, the box would go up with the motors, but no damage to structure, and damage to combustible surroundings is not probable.

If your keeping it in your house, I would keep it ATF old school.. only in an attaached garage, with an appropriate magazine, and all "combustables" to be kept clear a minimum radius.

something like this
https://www.usexplosive.com/usevpl2009/ML801.pdf

although, it has plywood, which is combustable, so it meets ATF type 4 storage, but your not in compliance with NFPA.

I would like to thank everyone who has posted so far. I plan on getting something like the greenlee storage container. The main issue is keeping them from fire if a fire were to occur. The US explosives site has really good secure boxes but the prices are astronomical.

Matt

Packaging requirements for shipping and storage requirements are 2 different items.

The packaging requirements for shipping hobby rocket motors are given in the attached DOT Special Permit 7887 for model rocket motors and DOT Special Permit 10996 for high power motors. Larger motors must be shipped in an exclusive explosives truck.

The motors or reloads must be individually packaged and place in an approved outer container that is either a UN4G fiberboard (=G=corregated cardboard) or a UN4C wooden (=C) box (=4) designed to a strength specification. The cardboard or wood is not fireproof, but must meeet minimum strength specifications, and have certain labeling information on it to identify that it is an approved hazmat box.

Bob

View attachment 7887-2008090439-Offer.pdf

View attachment SP10996_2010121579.pdf

To clarify, I wasn't trying to advance an argument, but rather was puzzled by the existence of different requirements for shipping and storage. You have fully addressed my question, Bob. Thanks for the links.

I keep my mid and high power motors in an ammo box that I purchased from a local military store.

I currently have a 29/360 H268R load in it and it appears that might be the largest reload that will fit in it unless I opened the bag and removed the liner.

I keep my Estes motors in my standard flight box and I also have several unopened packs of Estes motors as well.

I live in an apartment and use the surplus boxes also. Try and find ones that have intimidating contents stenciled on such as ".50 CAL" :D

One thing worth mentioning is that I keep some rockets and my launch equipment in storage but keep the actual motors in my apartment. The reason is that my storage unit has a policy against any flammable or hazardous materials.

One thing worth considering: any container that is sealed to prevent an adjacent fire from reaching the propellant is in effect a bomb just waiting to reach spontaneous ignition temperature. Best to have ventilation so when the fire reaches the propellant it will burn in a controlled manner inside the vessel. If you have a fire, you have bigger problems than a few reloads going "Fissstt".

One thing worth considering: any container that is sealed to prevent an adjacent fire from reaching the propellant is in effect a bomb just waiting to reach spontaneous ignition temperature. Best to have ventilation so when the fire reaches the propellant it will burn in a controlled manner inside the vessel. If you have a fire, you have bigger problems than a few reloads going "Fissstt".

I have wondered about that myself with both ammo boxes and job boxes. Yet the NFPA/ATF specifications for Type 4 magazines do not mention venting, and they are meant to hold, ya know, actual explosives. And ammo boxes are meant to hold ammunition, and they are not vented. It seems to me that someone, somewhere, should do some actual testing and make recommendations that actually make sense for our hobby.

I think the explosive boxes are to prevent theft and uncontrolled use while an ammo box is to keep the ammo dry and undamaged for use under field conditions. I think it is understood that a fire adjacent to either of these items should be avoided and if such an event occurs, the boxes these explosives are in are not going to prevent their ignition.

WW2 vintage 105mm howitzer shell fuse can, about 16" square give or take. Inherited from my grandfather who flew DeHavoline B-4 bombers in WW1 then welded up ships in Alameda, CA during the second.

...Grandma wouldn't let him fly anymore or he would have been flying in the Second War, too ;)

And it's at the foot of my bed where it's been since 1993.

Back