Where are most getting 80/20 Inc. 1515 series rails from in 2024?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfjustin

Reaction score
Where are most getting 80/20 Inc. 1515 series rails from in 2024?

McMaster? Ebay? Other?

Best,

You can actually buy them direct from 8020, believe it or not. 😇

If that's too spendy there are several clones available from various sources.

It might pay to get random lengths surplus cheap and splice them together, they make fasteners for this purpose.

Query: is there any known issue with third-party 1010 or 1515 rails? I mention it because it seems that some (many?) third-party 20mm rails have slightly different dimensions that do not play well with railbuttons; they can actually slip out of the rail. Could be quite bad to have that happen just as the button was pushed.

Query: is there any known issue with third-party 1010 or 1515 rails? I mention it because it seems that some (many?) third-party 20mm rails have slightly different dimensions that do not play well with railbuttons; they can actually slip out of the rail. Could be quite bad to have that happen just as the button was pushed.
@prfesser Terry --

I checked this out last fall when I wanted to try mini rail buttons.

I've never tried 3rd party 1010 or 1515 rails that I know of ... but who knows when you're launching on the Club's Equipment ?

The 1010 and 1515 sub-pages at Rail-Buttons.com > Rail Buttons mention that their rail buttons are designed to work with 80/20 brand rails:
The 1010 railbuttons is designed to be used with the 1010 aluminum extrusion from the 80/20 company. The rail is 1" x 1".
Our 1515 railbuttons are designed to be used with 80/20's 1515 extrusion That rail is 1.5" x 1.5"

And there is an explicit caveat on the Rail-Buttons.com > Mini and Micro Railbuttons page:
Mini-buttons are available in a 3 piece nylon version and also the new 1 piece Delrin version.
Both are designed to be used with the 80/20 20mm rail.
(They may not work with some of the off brand extrusions, use genuine 80/20 extrusions for best results)

And for Rail-Buttons.com > Micro Rail Buttons, they explicitly mention:
They work with the Makerbeam 10mm rail and also the new Makerbeam XL 15mm rail.

HTH !

-- kjh

Last edited:
Back