• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

What's your favorite 'category' of rocketry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj94

Reaction score
Right now, I like low power the best. Ya know why? Because I'm not even in mid or high power yet!

I like all types, cause "Rockets is Rockets!". However, low power gets my vote because 1. it's my heritage, 2. I can just wake up any old Saturday and say, "I think I'll fly some rockets today" And the only type I can say that about is low power.

<<< note that the rocket in my avatar pic is a 7lb. high power rocket that flies on a I211, and the man standing to your left of it is Vern Estes. So, i gots my low and high power bona fides right there.

My favorite and what I fly are two different things. I wish I could fly on D-F motors, but because of small fields I fly A-B almost entirely.

Low power is always fun, micro is even more fun and takes a smaller field to but.

NOTE: When your model is out of sight, does it really matter if it's 300 or 3000feet? it's still GONE!

Low power. Tried High power, had more fun with low and occasionally Mid.

Mostly low power, but I do fly D & E's just as much...

I agree that it's all good, but I voted HPR, simply for the variety.

I like them all, I flly mostly low power at home, but when I attend a launch, most of my flights are in the E-G range, with a few low and high power mixed in. So, I voted for mid power. But, at launches, I rarely miss a hpr launch.

used to fly low power, but got addicted to AMW 38mm motors and bigger rockets- 38mm is the biggest I have launched so far. But, love watching others fly their monstrocities and burn through their cash... gotta love it!

Althou I fly from low to high power,

its mid-power that gets my vote.
Feels like a very good compromise between
size, sound and smoke on one side, and dollars spent
on the other...

My contention in having low powered rocketry is because you can
enjoy NAR competition such as Streamer Duration, Helicopter
Duration, Boost/Rocket Glide, etc., and still get plenty of challenges from the hobby without the expense of HPR. HPR has
been, and continues to be, outside the range of my budget...

well, been there, done that , lol .

I'd say mid-power, since it's fun to fly, without the hours of prep ( or expense ) of 'true' HPR.

although, my current 'kick' / interest has been cloning old kits, I'm working on building ones I had back in the day, plus others I always thought were neat, etc.
and having a total blast ! ( pun unintentional :)

Also, I'm very involeved in exp / research, which wasn't on the poll . ( just something about a flight where you built not only the rocket, but machined the casing,mixed the propellant, etc, 100% 'scratchbuilt' )

~ AL

NAR 34644
Tripoli 090
Cert L2 (for now)

Definitely mid-power for me, since all I do is gliders, lots and lots of them.

LPR is great, but you cant get too large a glider with C motors, no matter how light you try to end up.

Ive done like 12 or 14 HPR gliders, mostly back in the 92-99 range, and while these are a sight to behold going up (and down, no matter how so) just were too few chances to afford and fly them, not to mention loss of the local TRA prefecture back then didnt help.

That leaves midpower, and with better material selection/use, Ive managed to actually end up flying the same sized gliders as Ive used to on HPR, with only F/G motors. Sure, they dont have that I284 or J90 exhaust/flame, but they sure make up for it in glide!

There are so many things you can do with 'just' an F or G motor, you just have to design right and build light, and thats right.

As long as it makes smoke, noise, and the airframe flies in an upward direction, then easily recovered, and people are having a good time, then I'm all for it. Who cares, rocketry is the deal, no matter what you fly!

Low power, definitely.

Although MMX and the occasional mid-power are kind of nice too.

High power may indeed be fun but it is too much hassle for my liking.

They are not categories - they are power levels/ranges.

What about scale, hybrids, competition, oddrocs, gliders, altitude, clusters etc. ? They are categories!

The second link doesn't work. I think it's a wrong number. Try this:
https://homepages.rya-online.net/markdunn/irw06/P8230457.htm

My own preference is for low power and mid power - basically, anything I can do with Estes (or Quest) motors, either singly, staged, clustered or staged and clustered. Partly for legal reasons, and partly because I need to keep the rockets relatively small so I can carry them on buses and trains.

spacecadet has already seen this, but take a look at Cecil, then take a look at this cartoon, originally published by the Paisley Rocketeers and displayed at IRW last year:

Back