What was your First Composite Motor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First composite was an Aerotech G40 in the prototype HobbyLab F-14 RC boost glider.

First HP was a Vulcan 38mm SU I motor at LDRS in Argonia. KS in 1994. TRA L1 certification flight. Only Vulcan motor I ever owned.

Mine was an AeroTech G40-4 SU in my NCR Phantom 4000 at LDRS X, 1991.

I was one happy kid that day.

So many of my happiest memories seem to involve rockets.

I totally forgot about the Phantom 4000! Nice looking rocket for sure.

[video=youtube_share;FG1dxTc-C7o]https://youtu.be/FG1dxTc-C7o?t=39m7s[/video]

A couple of years ago (earlier on this thread) I mentioned my first composite. Here's the flight (in slight slow-motion).

<edit> well, ok, the start time is ignored by the forum software... go to 39 minutes and 07 seconds. </edit>

Last edited:
I believe a G64 back in 96-97 ish... I loved that motor and flew it in everything because it was one of the biggest motors I could fly back then.

For me, an SSRS/Crown F67-8 back in like '82, followed by the AeroTech F10, which came with that neato 'cigar band' black/yellow thingie. Flew quite a few composites thereafter, mainly AT's, until finally joining TRA later on.

Got those from AAA Model Aviation Fuels too, Al Andrake, whom you other olde timers know of. Also got butt-tons of FSI motors from them as well, since you actually got (3) to a pack, and the E5 and F7 were great in the *right* rockets!!

Aerotech F20 in a Vaughn Bros Extreme 29.
It was 2001 in Utah at the then named Pony Express Test Range.
A bit windy, launched in a lull, but was caught in a gust on the way down, landing an unknown distance to the east.

I love the cigar band style old AT look. Gary oughtta make a run of a couple thousand of those with the "classic" low-smoke in old configurations with the old look to boot.

It wouldn't make much money but it would be super cool.

I love the cigar band style old AT look. Gary oughtta make a run of a couple thousand of those with the "classic" low-smoke in old configurations with the old look to boot.

It wouldn't make much money but it would be super cool.

Anyone have an image to share? I can't picture this; maybe it was before my time...

Anyone have an image to share? I can't picture this; maybe it was before my time...

aerotech.jpg

This is the way they used to come; complete with a piece of Thermalite igniter. This was when Aerotech was still based in California. Even earlier than the pictured motors, Aerotech used graphite nozzles in all of their motors. This was when their "F" motors were 80ns, their "E" motors were 40 ns, etc...

My first composite was either a SSRS E45 or Composite Dynamics E20. The CD motor had a nozzle made out of ceramic which made the motor quite heavy. Unbelievable compared to the BP motors I was used to launching!

Check this website out:

https://www.angelfire.com/co/m2rules/motors.html

Last edited:
So what's with graphite nozzles? Are they superior than the single use phenolic nozzles used in most rockets?

My first composite motor was an D21-7T in an Estes Alien Space Probe. Was back around 1990-92, Also bought an E15-7W and an E30-7T around the same time which I wanted to fly my Optima with. I remember having dreams of that Optima lifting off with a huge white flame and smoke :p

Mine was an Aerotech F39T in my Estes Argent in June of last year. I just received my 38/720 casing I ordered from Wildman's black Saturday sale. Man this stuff is addictive :)

Nate

View attachment 250349

This is the way they used to come; complete with a piece of Thermalite igniter. This was when Aerotech was still based in California. Even earlier than the pictured motors, Aerotech used graphite nozzles in all of their motors. This was when their "F" motors were 80ns, their "E" motors were 40 ns, etc...

My first composite was either a SSRS E45 or Composite Dynamics E20. The CD motor had a nozzle made out of ceramic which made the motor quite heavy. Unbelievable compared to the BP motors I was used to launching!

Check this website out:

https://www.angelfire.com/co/m2rules/motors.html

Cool. Thanks Dan for sharing the pic and link.

So what's with graphite nozzles? Are they superior than the single use phenolic nozzles used in most rockets?

Graphite nozzles in single use motors is overkill. They are much more expensive to implement as they have to be machined. Graphite is much harder than molded phenolic so they don't erode during motor firing like the phenolic nozzles do. Therefore, graphite nozzle motors will have a slightly different thrust profile than the same motor with a phenolic nozzle. More of a progressive thrust profile.

Motor manufacturers switched to phenolic nozzles purely from an economic standpoint; much cheaper to make. Back when these original Aerotech motors were made, all composite motors up until that time used graphite nozzles. Well, except for Composite Dynamics.

This was all before reloadable motors.

So why can't they mold graphite nozzles like they do with pencil leads? Or use ceramic nozzles...

Dan,

Thanks for that classic photo of 'cigar banded' motors!! Real early-mid 80's stuff!! I used to even keep those bands, wound up with quite a few, but lost those with my old range box way back.

Also thanks for bringing up Thermalite as well, as this used to come as a *standard* ignitor back then!! In fact, recall doing a 'show-n-tell' with composite motors in ROTC....yep, even showed off the different types of Thermalite as well!! Bet not many high school kidz are doing *that* nowadays!!

Keep the memories coming!

Following an MIT paper from 1975 on what were then termed Composite Motors, I epoxied a 1/2A3-4T into the end of a C6-0. I do not recall what model it powered.

As to AP motors: a Pro-Jet E20-7 dated May 83.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back