What was your First Composite Motor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AT RMS 24/40 E18-4W in a kit bashed crappy rocket, not that long ago. The motor worked great by I got tired of fixing the fins with every flight. Retired the rocket last weekend with one last flight. Once again a fin broke in-flight and I never found the pieces (but it was good last flight.)

Estes (aerotech) F26-6FJ. We had only done As and Bs until then, and the group of frat boys watching us from across the field honked their horn and went WOOOOO! The most excited I have ever been after a launch.

Aerotech G80-?, in an AAA American Dream, in 1988.

That was a revelation.

1971 -- Enerjet E24 in a wallpaper tube rocket with 3/8" thick balsa fins and a nose cone turned on a Mattel Power Shop.

August 1972: EnerJet F67-14 in an EnerJet Nike Ram...photo is a scan of a Polaroid shot. I actually recovered it! EnerJets produced little, if any smoke, so tracking them was extremely hard. Centuri/EnerJet claimed this rocket could go a mile high, but I have simmed this and it appears 3000 ft or so is closer to the truth. This bird screamed off the pad!!!

We had a nice flying area in Tucson...*sigh*

Original_NikeRam_Aug72.jpg

Either an Aerotech SU E15 or E30 in the late 80s. My brother bought some SU F and G motors too, but we started with the smallest and realized we needed more room for the F and Gs.

Aerotech F25W in my Aerotech Arcas back in '99...or was it '00? Either way it ruined me for life! Yeah, gateway drugs...

Those Darkstars were some nice motors.

Yes they were! Had the pleasure to fly a few back in the day.

It was a single use Vulcan H100 Smokey Sam.

Also super cool motors...same propellant as the Estes/NCR F62's IIRC. Never got to fly one though:(

Last edited:
My first was an Aerotech I300 or I366, cant remember now which one it was :)

CTI 84G88-11A Smokey Sam set to 6 seconds. One week ago. Very recent BAR.

Apogee F10-8 in an Aspire. Took two tries because I had never seen a Copperhead igniter before. First try was New Years Eve 2006 and the second was New Years Eve 2007. Never did find the body of the rocket, but the N/C and chute were recovered.

Speaking of bottles...my first was sculpy modeling clay and either AP or KClO4, 24mm x 100mm experimental. Took a little too long to come up to pressure and had a great deal more range than altitude.

SU Aerotech E20-4 in an Estes Tomahawk. Boy did it go...Unfortunately the delay was a little short...

Mine was a AT F40-7 in a LOC Aura. After I glued the fin back on, I put it up on a G64-10. That was in 2001, I've been hooked ever since. (Truth be told, it didn't take much....)

Phil L.

My first was an Enerjet E24, around 1972 or so. Soon after, F52 and F67. Many of the rockets shredded, the progressive thrust curve of those Enerjets was too little thrust at liftoff and too much near burnout. I had my fill of that for awhile, then a few years later the SSRS and Composite Dynamics motors came out, the C.D. E20 was really nice.

Favorite composite not made anymore was the Aerotech F15. Most efficient composite made, albeit costly. And the best G ever made was the G25.

Favorite still existing composite is the Aerotech E6 (expendable and reloadable version), for flying R/C Rocket Boosted Gliders. Hundreds of E6 flights since 1985. Also like the F10 and G12, mostly used for R/C RBG's.

- George Gassaway

AT I-161W 05-19-01 at Pickrell, NE in my PML Endeavour for my L-1 cert flight. :grin:

Mine was a SU F20-4 in my LOC Precision Onyx.

I was 14!!! This was back in 2004. Note my Dad's reaction...

[video=youtube_share;LNFyE61mdHQ]https://youtu.be/LNFyE61mdHQ[/video]

Latest posts

Back