What the heck have I found?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The electrical connector, the numbering, the indexed screws all say "science" to me. What kind is a mystery, fun to look at though.

I wonder if the "spent motor casing" is actually a gas generator for a base bleed system to offset base drag.

Boosted dart, not a rocket per say. Super Loki Dart comes to mind. MClark would know, he worked for the company that made them.

Im thinking you're right...Loki^^^^
Just getting back to you guys about this rocket.

(Reply from another forum thread.)I think you may have been close with the Loki dart thought line. While the original Loki dart started out as an anti-aircraft piece in the 50s, its progression into atmospheric test hardware left it with many variations. The details in your photos are not a far stretch to some that we used to see on White Sands, many being varied test by test. The relatively light weight construction (vs APDS), hollowed out areas, plug in capability - all could be seen to support this sort of use. The system name Loki was essentially the delivery motors, the "package" while standardized for routine tests, had some flexibility in size, shape and construction as necessary for test purposes. We also did much larger systems such as the Nike Black Brant, Terrier Black Brant, etc. Similar concepts, bigger packages.

Further searching revealed Lokis to be 35 mm. Mine is 35 mm meaning it would also fit the booster.
Possibly it was fired?.... It could have seen some serious speed and altitude?...

Back