What should i use fiberglass or aluminum alloys ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kralolo43

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a new member of this forum. We have a national rocket competition every year in Turkey. I and my friends formed a team to build a rocket that needs to go up to 3000 m apogee with 4 kilograms of payload. As there is no strict rule about what material we need to use, we are confused about what material we should use in order to build the rocket. Can you enlighten me on this topic? Thanks.

Welcome rkalolo43 :). I am glad your English is so good as my Turkish is really bad!

FYI, We have a similar competition here in Australia (AURC). The rockets are typically fiberglass or carbon fiber. I think the rules do not allow metal airframes.
https://aurc.ayaa.com.au/There are two altitude categories, 10000feet and 30000feet. You are essentially going to around 10kfeet with your challenge.

There is also a larger competition in the USA, IREC/Spaceport America Cup
https://www.soundingrocket.org/what-is-irec.html
Are there any rocket clubs in Turkey that you can go to to see some rockets fly and ask questions?

Be guided by what you see other teams using, but make sure you make your own decisions on the rocket. That is what the learning experience is about. Have fun and good luck!

Welcome rkalolo43 :). I am glad your English is so good as my Turkish is really bad!

FYI, We have a similar competition here in Australia (AURC). The rockets are typically fiberglass or carbon fiber. I think the rules do not allow metal airframes.
https://aurc.ayaa.com.au/There are two altitude categories, 10000feet and 30000feet. You are essentially going to around 10kfeet with your challenge.

There is also a larger competition in the USA, IREC/Spaceport America Cup
https://www.soundingrocket.org/what-is-irec.html
Are there any rocket clubs in Turkey that you can go to to see some rockets fly and ask questions?

Be guided by what you see other teams using, but make sure you make your own decisions on the rocket. That is what the learning experience is about. Have fun and good luck!
Thanks for the reply sir. Very appreciated.

Kralolo43,
One underlying principle behind amateur rocketry construction should always be to use materials which can cause the least damage in sub-nominal flights. That’s why the Tripoli Safety Codes limit metal construction to those places where it’s necessary, which of course is dependent on factors such as in-flight stresses due to acceleration, drag, and wind shear, material property changes due to thermal loading, and the ability to withstand vibration caused fatigue.
A rocket flying to 3,000 meters with a payload of 4 kg mass is not an extreme flight and would not require a metal body. Fiberglass would work very well.

Thank you for all these replies. Actually, I forgot to mention that the competition committee will give us the motor of rockets. The motors are generally M type. Can you give me more insights after this information?

Thank you for all these replies. Actually, I forgot to mention that the competition committee will give us the motor of rockets. The motors are generally M type. Can you give me more insights after this information?
As Steve said, fiberglass will be fine. In fact cardboard with a thick wall would probably be okay but fiberglass is a more conservative (i.e., better) choice. Fins could be fiberglass as well, but high-quality 1/2" plywood should be fine unless the flight is to break mach 1.

As Steve said, fiberglass will be fine. In fact cardboard with a thick wall would probably be okay but fiberglass is a more conservative (i.e., better) choice. Fins could be fiberglass as well, but high-quality 1/2" plywood should be fine unless the flight is to break mach 1.
I was considering cardboard myself but the addition of a 4kg payload will stress the airframe more than would a regular HPR rocket like what we typically fly. Would need to either analyse the strength of the cardboard tube or test to a safety factor (maximum boost forces with extra allowance) with real loads. A layer of fiberglass bonded to the outside would do wonders for strength.

Speeds are not particularly high (the 4kg payload helps keep the acceleration down), so yes plywood would be a more than acceptable choice.

Latest posts

Back