What makes Snap-On tools so expensive?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like there is no answer to whether it's "worth it" unless you're a professional and can put a cost on downtime. For me, this is all hobby so it becomes entirely subjective and all I can say is I take pleasure in using fine things, tools very much included.

John, my answer would be... for the home fix it yourself person or if you use them as a hobby. Don't spend the money on them unless you can find them used for a great deal. A harbor freight tool box or other tools are just fine for the type of use thats involved. Spend the money on the things you like and enjoy. For me because my living is with my tools. I need them to produce day in day out 1000s of times a day.

But... you are correct about fine things

Last edited:
John, my answer would be... for the home fix it yourself person or if you use them as a hobby. Don't spend the money on them unless you can find them used for a great deal. A harbor freight tool box or other tools are just fine for the type of use thats involved. Spend the money on the things you like and enjoy. For me because my living is with my tools. I need them to produce day in day out 1000s of times a day.

But... you are correct about fine things

Yup

I started buying tools as an apprentice GM mechanic back in 1974 in Naperville. My dealer was Gail Voight who was killed on his route a couple years later. Prayers for him.

I eventually acheived the "status" of Journeyman and Pontiac Master Service Craftsman. Then I quit and went into computers and software ;).
I have since worked on motorcycles, diesel trucks and transmissions, boat engines and anything else the needed it.
When I started, Snap On and Vulcan were really the only game around. Cornwell existed but not common. Mac came along about 5 years later, or maybe just moved into the area. Then Matco later on.
All decent to good tools. I think Matco is the only one who does not have representation in my box but only because they were not present while I was still actively wrenching.

I bought 80% Snap On because the dealer financed, treated me fairly and came to the shop every week.
I never bought Craftsman, perhaps a little bias but mostly was the Snap On truck showing-up at the shop made it easier.
I will add I don't feel any others matched the quality of snap on. The fit on fasteners and the hand feel are unmatched.
Back in 2017 I made a warranty claim. Forty Three Years (43) after buying the tools from the dealer.
Called Snap On, explained the issue, new tools showed-up within a week via FedX. I probably could have found a current dealer and done the exchange but I wouldn't feel right. I didn't even need to show receipts though I did ship the old tools (screwdrivers, those who know, know why) back.
For the record I NEVER had a Snap On Wrench, Socket, Ratchet or any other tool fail in-service, never.

For home use today I have found that Kobalt are decent tools and that is what I stocked the boat with and they have been great for many years. The good tools still live in my garage and I use them a couple times a month.
If I were to go back into professional wrenching I would still lean to Snap On.

I bought their tools and they bought my loyalty.

Cole

One thing in all this is the emotional component- 'pride of ownership'. While usually applied to owning a house vs. renting, I think it really applies to anything that brings you pleasure from the ownership and use aspect, as well as the status symbol aspect. Watches are a good example. Expensive watches exist not because they are 100's of time better than inexpensive watches, but because they bring 'pride of ownership' to the wearer. And in many instances, status. But there are many brands of watches that 99.99% of us know nothing about and cost far more than the Rolex that folks buy for status. It's the ownership of the watch that gives it value. The term 'it's my pride and joy' exists for a reason.

There are infinite examples of this, where you might buy and own something mostly for the emotional value it has, irrespective of its tangible value. I can think of several examples that apply to me, some that I can explain away (like a Thermapen instant read thermometer), to others that have no rational explanation other than an emotional one.

We each get to decide how to spend on money on things that bring both physical usefulness, and sometimes, emotional usefulness. For some, spending a lot of money on a tool would be painful, for others, a source of pride and joy. Nothing wrong with either one, we are who we are.

Tony

Last edited:
For those who have mentioned it; Kobalt tools are currently made by Snap On...
Yeah, I bought a few sets of them to keep in the Svc truck. If I lose those, I'm not out as much. But they're not as good as the real McCoy. They're a little thicker at the box end (and if the fastener is up tight against something, this matters), and a little thicker at the open end to keep them from spreading (which is a pain when you're trying to loosen or tighten two nuts jammed together and the wrench end is thicker than the nut).

They used to be a step above the rest in quality and service decades ago. Import tools used to be junk. Now things have balanced out, where the local stores can sell tools just as good for 1/4 the price. I think you pay for the dealer service and American made stamp (on some).

I started buying tools as an apprentice GM mechanic back in 1974 in Naperville. My dealer was Gail Voight who was killed on his route a couple years later. Prayers for him.

I eventually acheived the "status" of Journeyman and Pontiac Master Service Craftsman. Then I quit and went into computers and software ;).
I have since worked on motorcycles, diesel trucks and transmissions, boat engines and anything else the needed it.
When I started, Snap On and Vulcan were really the only game around. Cornwell existed but not common. Mac came along about 5 years later, or maybe just moved into the area. Then Matco later on.
All decent to good tools. I think Matco is the only one who does not have representation in my box but only because they were not present while I was still actively wrenching.

I bought 80% Snap On because the dealer financed, treated me fairly and came to the shop every week.
I never bought Craftsman, perhaps a little bias but mostly was the Snap On truck showing-up at the shop made it easier.
I will add I don't feel any others matched the quality of snap on. The fit on fasteners and the hand feel are unmatched.
Back in 2017 I made a warranty claim. Forty Three Years (43) after buying the tools from the dealer.
Called Snap On, explained the issue, new tools showed-up within a week via FedX. I probably could have found a current dealer and done the exchange but I wouldn't feel right. I didn't even need to show receipts though I did ship the old tools (screwdrivers, those who know, know why) back.
For the record I NEVER had a Snap On Wrench, Socket, Ratchet or any other tool fail in-service, never.

For home use today I have found that Kobalt are decent tools and that is what I stocked the boat with and they have been great for many years. The good tools still live in my garage and I use them a couple times a month.
If I were to go back into professional wrenching I would still lean to Snap On.

I bought their tools and they bought my loyalty.

Cole
I mentioned ”rarely did I ever have to use the warranties”
I needed to one time only.
I“ll post strictly for the laugh factor.
I was removing the cylinders on a Continental GTSIO-520. There was one base nut I could not get loose.
I grabbed my 4 ft 1/2 drive Snap on breaker bar put it on the end of the wrench, stood under the bar, placed it and my fist on my shoulder and stood up.
The wrench broke. All that force needed to go somewhere and it did.
R I G H T smack into my jaw. I knocked my self out cold! About 10 seconds later I came to and was seeing stars.
The socket portion of the wrench sheared in half. The base nut stayed put.
I was never able to remove that nut. The fact that it was a thu bolt allowed me to remove the opposite nut and drive it out the other way.
Mac replaced it, no questions asked. I did tell him how it happened though.
EBB53FAF-5642-49DF-8F82-ABD1C834D77B.jpeg

I guess I can understand (to a certain extent) the price differential. You're paying for quality and service, and certainly for routinely used tools it's worthwhile. But how much better does a rolling tool cabinet have to be, to justify a $5000 or even a $3000 difference between theirs and the competition? Sounds more like a status symbol than true utility.

No offense intended to anyone. Just seems an outrageous premium---but it's true, I don't have a business that requires tools. If I knew all the ins and outs of auto maintenance, plumbing, carpentry, maybe I'd feel differently.

I guess I can understand (to a certain extent) the price differential. You're paying for quality and service, and certainly for routinely used tools it's worthwhile. But how much better does a rolling tool cabinet have to be, to justify a $5000 or even a $3000 difference between theirs and the competition? Sounds more like a status symbol than true utility.

No offense intended to anyone. Just seems an outrageous premium---but it's true, I don't have a business that requires tools. If I knew all the ins and outs of auto maintenance, plumbing, carpentry, maybe I'd feel differently.
Value is not an absolute measure and is not transferable.

There are many instances where price differences between various brands can be 2X-5X, or even greater. Pick nearly any consumer category and you can find large price variations for basically the same functionality. I can buy a pair of jeans for $20 at Walmart, or for $200 at Macys. They do the same thing. So while it may seem shocking that there is such a big price range for something as mundane as a tool chest, it's clearly not out of the ordinary. The same of course applies to bit ticket items like cars - they all serve the same basic purpose (speaking of a sedan) - yet folks are willing to pay 5X or more for some versions over others. Is a Porsche sedan that sells for $125,000 that much better than a Honda that sells for $25,000? Regardless of your or my answer, it is to those who buy the Porsche.

To my mind, when a company like Snap-On has been in business for 100 years, they must be doing something of value for their client base or they would not have survived. Add in that people that typically buy their products are doing it to ensure their livelihood and it becomes even more likely that they do offer a superior product that justifies its premium price in the marketplace.

Tony

Last edited:
Back in the early 1970’s when I was in college I worked part time a a sales person in the Sears hardware department. I sold Craftsman hand tools among other things. Back then the Craftsman tools were made in the United States with lifetime guarantees. The tools were well made back then. We took a lot of broken tools back and handed out free replacements back then.

One of my 1970’s half inch ratchets broke about ten years ago. I went into the local Sears store, they were still in business back then, for a replacement. Sears was willing to give me a new ratchet. The new ratchets were foreign made junk! The old ratchet mechanism was precise. Craftsman’s replacement ratchet was crude.

All of the aviation mechanics that serviced my airplane used Snap On tools. Snap On made speciality tools for the aviation community.

I have purchased some frequently used Snap On tools. Unfortunately it is hard to justify the price if you are not using them professionally every day.

I can assure you, I never paid $5000 for a cabinet.
There were guys in the shop that did buy the biggest they could get, no matter Snap On, Mac or Craftsman.
I was not one of them. I bought a roller cabinet, top box and a side cabinet. That was sufficient for all my needs and I even have a "Junk drawer" ;). The only tools I ever borrowed were the specialty tools that the shop provided for vehicle-specific needs. Those were purchased by the shop from Kent Moore and I did buy a few of those more commonly used tools just so I didn't need to search for them when someone didn't return them to the tool room.

If you felt having the biggest box made you the best mechanic, well, I argue there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. You may have had more tools but not necessarily the skill or knowledge to use them.
Just like many who buy the fastest Porsche (or superbike or corvette) they can afford are possibly (likely) not prepared to use them to their best advantage.

Cole

Back in the early 1970’s when I was in college I worked part time a a sales person in the Sears hardware department. I sold Craftsman hand tools among other things. Back then the Craftsman tools were made in the United States with lifetime guarantees. The tools were well made back then. We took a lot of broken tools back and handed out free replacements back then.

One of my 1970’s half inch ratchets broke about ten years ago. I went into the local Sears store, they were still in business back then, for a replacement. Sears was willing to give me a new ratchet. The new ratchets were foreign made junk! The old ratchet mechanism was precise. Craftsman’s replacement ratchet was crude.

All of the aviation mechanics that serviced my airplane used Snap On tools. Snap On made speciality tools for the aviation community.

I have purchased some frequently used Snap On tools. Unfortunately it is hard to justify the price if you are not using them professionally every day.
Craftsman did have some nice features. They had a patent on that little release button on their ratchet. And if you needed a deep-well socket that was cut the whole depth, Craftsman was the only option.
And I acknowledge their lifetime warranty was industry leading for consumer products back then.
Now I fear the import-itis has affected many previously solid American made products.

Cole

My oldest brother is a diesel mechanic he bought a 6000 dollar toolbox and got it delivered directly to the shop. But he also was able to get a good deal because the guy stopped at all the local shops.

For the most part I have Snap-On and Mac, with some Matco tools. No complaints, no issues. Only broke a couple of Snap-On tools. Wore out a few Mac impacts and Air ratchets.

HOWEVER, some of the cheap knock-off brands do have their gems. I have a set of House-Of-Tools brand (really inexpensive) 1/2" impact sockets that I bought when I was just getting started in the industry (around 1995). Still have them. Still use them.
Princess Auto (think Radio Shack for Farmers and shade tree mechanics kind of store) has their elite brand (Pro-Point). Some of their air tools and hand tools are on par with the big brand names at 2/3 the price.

Point is, every tool manufacturer has their diamonds and their crap. Do some shopping, listen to others, and find the diamonds.

And then of course there's this:
https://crap-on.com/snap-on-franchisee-memorial-2016/Bounce around this site for a few minutes to get another perspective, and one that is lesser know by the general public.

For the record, over the years (and when I was professionally employed as a mechanic), I've owned and/or used a few Snap-On tools, and they were without exception very fine, high quality tools. None better, and a pleasure to use. And their service and attention to the owners and end-users was excellent. That said (and also for the record), there ARE great alternatives out there that are often equally good.

s6

There are actually a few seemingly small brands that are pretty old and will serve most users very well.
S&W and Indestro were hardware store distributions but I believe they both (S&W for sure) were originally US industrial tools makers, meaning they catered to the manufacturing businesses and to a lesser extent mechanics.
I have some S&W stuff from when I was a kid making mistakes (learning) on my moms 1959 Chevy. The tools still work fine the car.... :rolleyes:

Cole

I mentioned ”rarely did I ever have to use the warranties”
I needed to one time only.
I“ll post strictly for the laugh factor.
I was removing the cylinders on a Continental GTSIO-520. There was one base nut I could not get loose.
I grabbed my 4 ft 1/2 drive Snap on breaker bar put it on the end of the wrench, stood under the bar, placed it and my fist on my shoulder and stood up.
The wrench broke. All that force needed to go somewhere and it did.
R I G H T smack into my jaw. I knocked my self out cold! About 10 seconds later I came to and was seeing stars.
The socket portion of the wrench sheared in half. The base nut stayed put.
I was never able to remove that nut. The fact that it was a thu bolt allowed me to remove the opposite nut and drive it out the other way.
Mac replaced it, no questions asked. I did tell him how it happened though.
View attachment 434591
Ouch!!!

I remember helping a friend one night tear-down his W30 motor in his 442.
We were taking the heads off and I had a breaker on a socket breaking head bolts loose. His tools were a mix of hardware store stuff and this one socket in particular had a surprise waiting for me.
As I was pushing on the breaker bar, I noticed a crack opening up on the side of the socket every time I applied pressure.
Now your thinking Knuckle-buster right! No, better than that. My right fist was aimed right at the firewall and in the exact spot that my fist would have hit the firewall there was the tip of a ~#12 sheet-metal screw, about a quarter inch long sticking out.
I cringe now thinking about how that would have felt if I hadn't seen it and let off.

Cole

Ouch!!!

I remember helping a friend one night tear-down his W30 motor in his 442.
We were taking the heads off and I had a breaker on a socket breaking head bolts loose. His tools were a mix of hardware store stuff and this one socket in particular had a surprise waiting for me.
As I was pushing on the breaker bar, I noticed a crack opening up on the side of the socket every time I applied pressure.
Now your thinking Knuckle-buster right! No, better than that. My right fist was aimed right at the firewall and in the exact spot that my fist would have hit the firewall there was the tip of a ~#12 sheet-metal screw, about a quarter inch long sticking out.
I cringe now thinking about how that would have felt if I hadn't seen it and let off.

Cole
I could imagine the walls would have blushed!!!!

Excuse the mess. I got his box when I worked as a mechanic at Sonoma Raceway.

to answer your question, tools have a different “value” for professionals and serious mechanics. I’ve never regretted paying for quality. I’ve regretted buying cheap tools more often than I would care to admit.

I might also have a toolbox problem. I own a vintage Craftsman chest, a snap on box, the matco shown, a Kennedy, and an oak Gerstner machinist box.

AB076211-B57A-4BCF-9889-B58F8E487A3D.jpeg

Someone once told me: "Buy the best tool you can afford for the job"

I was also told: "Know how to use the tool, and use it accordingly"

And.. "A sharp knife is a safe knife"

Excuse the mess. I got his box when I worked as a mechanic at Sonoma Raceway.

to answer your question, tools have a different “value” for professionals and serious mechanics. I’ve never regretted paying for quality. I’ve regretted buying cheap tools more often than I would care to admit.

I might also have a toolbox problem. I own a vintage Craftsman chest, a snap on box, the matco shown, a Kennedy, and an oak Gerstner machinist box.

View attachment 434929
Now that is a pretty cool box.
Those of us who grew-up in the 60s can appreciate that artwork.

Someone once told me: "Buy the best tool you can afford for the job"

I was also told: "Know how to use the tool, and use it accordingly"

And.. "A sharp knife is a safe knife"
All those, Yes.

Here's another; "A poor craftsman blames his tools"...

And one of my favorites; "You hold this and when I nod my head, you hit it with the hammer"...
(I think that's how it went) :)

When I got out of being an auto body tech and custom painting, I still owed a bunch of money on my snap on box after years. I had a couple compressors at home and made a deal with the dealer and my account was paid....or so I thought.
Few months working in construction I got a call one rain day I didn't have to work from snap on corporate financing.
Told me I had 7 days to make my account current or they were going to take me to court.
I told them I have a paid in full receipt from the dealer. Faxed it to them.
The dealer in our area was doing things like this all the time and taking on the accounts himself.
I'm not sure if mine was the only one he wasn't paying or what.
But snap on pulled him. I seen him sometime later selling out of an old truck. Electric car lifts, jack stands, jacks, etc.
Meanwhile, at home, he remodeled his house, added a big garage, hot tube and I'm sure lots of luxuries he couldn't afford.
I heard his wife took their kids and left him a short time later.
I think the pressure of keeping his family together (A wife that needed, or wanted more than he could give) ruled over his business decisions and in the end it cost him everything.
I haven't seen him around in almost 30 years, so I have no idea if the rumor was true or not.
As with everything in this world there are responsible dealers, and there are shady dealers.
Some live by do unto others as you would have them do unto you...
Some live by do unto others before they do unto you...
Both have pride in the way they live, but only one has a clear conscious....Or should have.

Just fired this up today for the first time. Worth every penny. Came with two 14.4 V
micro lithium batteries and 1/8” and 1/4” collets. 11,000 to 30,000 rpm. And the new Hi Vis yellow, so I don’t loose it in the grass...

Attachments

• CD174BF6-B3F1-4921-955C-25EB40F6A277.jpeg
    CD174BF6-B3F1-4921-955C-25EB40F6A277.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 14
  • EFBB7840-ACBA-4762-A54D-0705CC9CD953.jpeg
    EFBB7840-ACBA-4762-A54D-0705CC9CD953.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
It's a combination of factors:
  1. Quality tools, really nice to work with (similar to Mac, Facom, etc).
  2. Lifetime warranty. I had one 17mm deep socket crack on me a few years ago. I had bought it used. SnapOn guy replaced it no questions asked.
  3. Distribution model - the truck comes to most dealership and independent shops directly. If you need something, you don't need to take time off to go shopping. Everything is "right there" for you.
  4. Education - the guy who drives the truck not only sells the tools, but is extremely knowledgeable and shows how to use them, and why they are better than competition. He is happy to explain and demonstrate how a funky new contraption can make a mechanic's job easier and quicker. If he sees a mechanic working on a car with a sub-optimal tool, he will give the guy a SnapOn replacement for free, for a day, and just ask to give it back if the guy wants to go back to his old tool. Most don't, and tell the SnapOn guy to put it on their tab.
  5. Financing and service - SnapOn manages installment payment plans for the tools they sell to mechanics. They will also help move the tool cabinet to the next location when a mechanic changes jobs.
  6. Resale value - top-tier brand tools have remarkably high resale value. Similar to AT, CTI, or Loki hardware, you can get 50-80% of what you paid when you sell them later!
SnapOn/Mac are the Mercedes/BMW of the tool world.
They definitely cost more upfront, but if you amortize the cost of ownership over their useful lifetime, they are actually cheaper to own than the "budget" brands.
They are WAY nicer to work with, as well.

Not just the name.
I agree!!

I worked as a machinist ( stationary diesel mechanic) on the Staten Island NYC ferries for awhile. We had to carry our tools to and from and through the ships. At times the Snap on tools were lighter than the Proto we were issued. For instance a long 3/8 drive ratchet with 1 1/4” socket would do the job over a Proto 1/2” drive and be lighter and finer “clicks”. Good for a confined swing. That’s when the price was worth it

Back