What makes Snap-On tools so expensive?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There's a guy on the local Craigslist that is selling a 72" Snap-On rolling tool chest, never used, for (gulp!) $8000! He included a page from Snap-On showing a new price of (double gulp!!) almost $12000!! A comparable Kobalt chest runs $1800 to under $4000. Same general trend for other SnapOn stuff.

If you work with tools for a living, what is it that makes SnapOn worth four to six times the equivalent from another name brand? Is the quality really worth it? Is it more of a status symbol than anything else? Maybe it's like Kirby vacuum cleaners that are expensive because they're sold door-to-door? Or like the Dutch Tulip Mania of the 1700s, when tulip bulbs sold for several times a typical annual salary, because...simple perception of value kept raising the price?

Best -- Terry

From the wikipedia article, it seems like at least part of the reason is that some professionals would rather pay extra than spend time shopping for tools. Snap-on come to the business's doorstep instead, and that would be what professionals pay for.

Having worked with certain tools for a living, I can confirm that shopping for tools can in fact be pretty time-consuming.

If you are making a living from them the initial price is a tiny fraction of your costs. Other factors come into play when it comes to your livlihood. The proof of that is their market share in that industry

Iwhat is it that makes SnapOn worth four to six times the equivalent from another name brand? Is the quality really worth it? Is it more of a status symbol than anything else?

It's a combination of factors:
  1. Quality tools, really nice to work with (similar to Mac, Facom, etc).
  2. Lifetime warranty. I had one 17mm deep socket crack on me a few years ago. I had bought it used. SnapOn guy replaced it no questions asked.
  3. Distribution model - the truck comes to most dealership and independent shops directly. If you need something, you don't need to take time off to go shopping. Everything is "right there" for you.
  4. Education - the guy who drives the truck not only sells the tools, but is extremely knowledgeable and shows how to use them, and why they are better than competition. He is happy to explain and demonstrate how a funky new contraption can make a mechanic's job easier and quicker. If he sees a mechanic working on a car with a sub-optimal tool, he will give the guy a SnapOn replacement for free, for a day, and just ask to give it back if the guy wants to go back to his old tool. Most don't, and tell the SnapOn guy to put it on their tab.
  5. Financing and service - SnapOn manages installment payment plans for the tools they sell to mechanics. They will also help move the tool cabinet to the next location when a mechanic changes jobs.
  6. Resale value - top-tier brand tools have remarkably high resale value. Similar to AT, CTI, or Loki hardware, you can get 50-80% of what you paid when you sell them later!
SnapOn/Mac are the Mercedes/BMW of the tool world.
They definitely cost more upfront, but if you amortize the cost of ownership over their useful lifetime, they are actually cheaper to own than the "budget" brands.
They are WAY nicer to work with, as well.

Two reasons - One, they are very nice tools, have a good "feel" to them. Two, they are over priced due to name.

Not just the name.

Last edited:
All of the above, plus one more- they finance.

Without that option, they wouldn't be able to sell so much at those prices and the market would have adjusted them. I've worked with guys who regularly turned over a significant part of their paycheck to the Snap-On truck. Without financing, it would have been Craftsman for them.

Some interesting discussion about Snap-On/Mac/Vidmar/Lista over here (external forum): https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377693&page=3

A lot of people like Lista for more technical storage, and they are less expensive than Snap-On. Still expensive, but not like Snap-On. Massive number of configurations exist. They do not have the big 72" crash cart mechanics workstations though. DO NOT go to their site https://listacabinets.com/ or you will lose an entire evening and possibly some money too.

Look into who owns Snap-On.

Stanley Black&Decker owns Craftsman as well as MacTools, Lista and Snap-On(as well as a few dozen other names) In alot of cases the various tools are made on the exact same assembly lines just in different colors and packaging.

When my nephew started working in a car dealership shop, he asked the old timer about what tools and tool chest to get. He was told that Snap-On and Mac were great and top quality but if he did some research he could get similar quality from Harbor Freight at 20% of the cost. If the tool lasted half as long, he's still way ahead. Took him about 5 years but now has all the same quantity and type of tools as the everyone else in the shop and everything is paid for.

Reminds me of a Cuban Cigar factory tour.

Most / all the big names come from the same place. Depending on how the cigar looks, it'll get either a Cohiba or Romeo or Punch label..

Same with food: look at the container of meat sauce. The dollar store brand is the same as the Catelli brand's container, but just a different lable.... Hmmmm.....

One time I was out on a job and my coworker needed a wrench. REALLY needed a wrench. I happened to see a Snap-On truck go by, and he flagged it down. Bought what he needed on the spot. I'm sure it was worth the money to him.

It's a combination of factors:
  1. Quality tools, really nice to work with (similar to Mac, Facom, etc).
  2. Lifetime warranty. I had one 17mm deep socket crack on me a few years ago. I had bought it used. SnapOn guy replaced it no questions asked.
  3. Distribution model - the truck comes to most dealership and independent shops directly. If you need something, you don't need to take time off to go shopping. Everything is "right there" for you.
  4. Education - the guy who drives the truck not only sells the tools, but is extremely knowledgeable and shows how to use them, and why they are better than competition. He is happy to explain and demonstrate how a funky new contraption can make a mechanic's job easier and quicker. If he see a mechanic working on a car with a crappy tool, he will give the guy a SnapOn replacement for free, for a day, and just ask to give it back if the guy wants to go back to his old crap tool. Most don't, and tell the SnapOn guy to put it on their tab.
  5. Financing and service - SnapOn manages installment payment plans for the tools they sell to mechanics. They will also move the tool cabinet to the next location when a mechanic changes jobs.
  6. Resale value - top-tier brand tools have remarkably high resale value. Similar to AT, CTI, or Loki hardware, you can get 50-80% of what you paid for them back when you sell them later!
SnapOn/Mac are the Mercedes/BMW of the tool world.
They definitely cost more upfront, but if you amortize the cost of ownership over their useful lifetime, they are actually cheaper to own than the "budget" brands.
They are WAY nicer to work with, as well.
Not just the name.
All are good points. The question is, how much are all those worth? 50% more than other brands? Maybe. Five times more than other brands? I guess that's a matter of individual choice. In rocket terms: if a rocket kit manufacturer charged $400 for a basic 4" cardboard-tube rocket and gave that same level of quality and service, would it be worthwhile?

I have worked on cars for a lot if years now, I have a good mix of Snap-On, Matco, Cornwell tools.

From a home use standpoint it's going to be a very hard sell on the real quality and value of the tools being used.

I also have a good mix of "cheaper" stuff, I had cheap tools at first with 3 24" plastic tool boxes I took to and from work each day.

Then as I continued down this path tools and a tool box trickled home as I bought better/different tools for work.

I own Snap-On and Matco tool boxes, each company has there strong points and different levels of build quality, trim levels and coatings for tool storage.

I know people that have paid retail for tool storage, I have always held out for the good deal, used or warehouse cleanout/specials.

As I build a relationship with a dealer I try to buy everything on a truck account, paying each week but avoiding interest.

If you have the 1000-3000 "cheap" (Waterloo, Craftsman, Kobalt, etc) tool storage next to the name brand box with 350+lbs in the top draw and had to open and close it all day for work the big name big dollar box will make sense.

My friends dad always said Craftsmans fine for home, but stuck out in the ocean I need a Snap-On tool to make sure the job gets done.

On that note if I am using tools to make money and: that tools rounds off the bolt, cracks, can not fit, or in some way fails I am stuck. I need to go buy other tools or warranty the defective item out facing lost productivity.

It's not about owning the best most expensive tools, I have to be proficient in using them as well, being a bigger asset for my boss.

As for the Snap-On warranty the life time warranty is for hand tools etc. Power tools air or electric is 2 years. They can be serviced but will cost money.

~John

Ps the real reason is the "free" Snap-On jacket (rebranded carhart) going into winter, lol.

Last edited:
In rocket terms: if a rocket kit manufacturer charged $400 for a basic 4" cardboard-tube rocket and gave that same level of quality and service, would it be worthwhile?

If the said manufacturer was known to offer and honor lifetime rocket replacement policy each time that rocket fell victim to whims of gravity, cross-winds, trees, or rocketeer's brain farts - then quite likely <Yes>!

Last edited:
Carhartt and Dickies t-shirts are a similar situation.

Carthartt T’s are slightly heavier in weight for winter wear and Dickies are lighter in weight for summer wear but cost half as much. Both company‘s T’s come in extended sizes (2XLT and larger) a range of collars colors so I buy them both.

Strange but the Dickies seem to wear better. Go figure.

Edit: iPad autotype fail.

Last edited:
I always assumed you could get a tax deduction if you were a professional mechanic. That might take the sting out of the high price.

I buy garbage tools on impulse, and then if I use them enough for them to fail I actually do the research and buy a good one.

Presumably Snap-On cuts out the first two steps for people who use their tools enough for it to matter.

Same with bourbon - a lot comes out of one distillery in Indiana - none with that distillery's name on it.

At least MGP makes decent Bourbon too. Some are better than others, but it is funny when some craft distillers rebottle 10yr whiskey and claim it as their own.

A friend drove a Snap-On route for a while. The new guy gets a less productive territory to start; it isn't that easy. He got out pretty fast.
The comments about financing are correct. Additionally, Snap-On carries the note on the truck and merchandise for the franchisee. So a big part of the revenue for Snap-On is from all the loans. Imagine the investment that a full truck takes! His truck made a cool and expensive chime sound as you drove along.
A shop owner told me that when a mechanic loaded up on tools from Snap-On that it meant he was about to quit and disappear.

All of the above, plus one more- they finance.

Without that option, they wouldn't be able to sell so much at those prices and the market would have adjusted them. I've worked with guys who regularly turned over a significant part of their paycheck to the Snap-On truck. Without financing, it would have been Craftsman for them.
They are the only way some mechanics are going to be able afford specialized tools right now or the large number of tools needed to cover the jobs they may need to do, as for quality they are some of the best. I recently acquired a 3/8" Snap-on ratchet made in 1920, a hundred years old and its "smooth as butter" and is fully functional. I own a few other Snap-on tools and they are much better than my Craftsman (which are pretty darn good), my other tools are mostly JH Williams (inherited) which is now Snap-on Professional, good quality tools are much easier to use without damaging fasteners especially ones that are being " difficult". While I dont know if they are worth 6X the price they are definitely worth owning.

It’s been nearly 20 years since I’ve turned a wrench professionally.
All of my tools were either Snap-On or Mac. One company may have a tool in just a slightly different configuration to make my job easier, so that would be my deciding factor.
Working on helicopters and aircraft motors, Getting tools in tight spots was my main concern.
Both have unconditional warranties and replace with no questions asked. I’ve rarely had to use it.
I couldn’t bring myself to pay the small mortgage price for Snap-On tool boxes. Mac gave me good pricing back then, so that’s what I went with.
I still have all of my tools, at home now, in my garage.
I might be mistaken here but if I recall one claim to fame Snap-On had was that at one time, they were the only tool company that chrome plated their tools.

Sidchrome was a huge brand here in Oz making tools in Victoria. Expensive, but top quality AND Australian made. When Stanley acquired them in '96 the stopped Australian production and moved it to Taiwan. Still good tools, but nowhere near the quality of the pre-Stanley ones.

I have most of the Sidchrome tools I bought 45 years ago. They're all still perfect and still earning their keep. A bargain for tools you use every day.

I always buy good quality when my living/life depends on it. Other times the quality vs life usage makes that a false economy.

Used a few Snap-On tools. Very impressed. If I needed them to make a living that's what I'd buy.

I have a long #1 phillips screwdriver I bought 25 years ago because I needed that length for certain jobs. To this day it still has retained its shape and will remove and tighten a screw without slipping out. They were the only one who sold a short 6 point 10mm 1/4" magnetic socket. They are high quality tools. I also had Mac, Matco and Cornwell tools - each had certain tools I needed. When you have to rely on quality tools every day you can't gamble on poorer quality tools. I was a Toyota auto technician for 34 years and in the automotive repair business for 40 years. If a tool broke and I couldn;t do the repair because of it I lost money.

You get what you pay for............

I was in the diesel truck repair and fabrication field for a couple decades (before my hands/wrists gave out). I still have most of my tools, which were from several different venders (Craftsman, Mac and Snap-On). When you have a surly truck driver waiting for his truck (or even worse, a motor home owner and his wife) setting in the drivers lounge expecting their vehicle to be done at a certain time, you don't need to broken tool slowing you down, or a repair taking much longer than required because you don't have the correct tool. If you work in a flat rate shop, time to complete a repair is what your pay is based on.

When my previous hobby was drag racing, I relied and felt confident in snap-on and never had an issue. Things broke from time to time and was always replaced without question (and it was usually due to operator error going "primitive Pete" with the tool). I sold most of my "professional" set cheap to an new service tech I knew getting into the business to help him out so he wasnt debt-laden right off the bat and he still helps me wrench on my stuff when I need a hand or dont have the time to do it myself. Those tools are still going strong and I'm pretty sure he wipes them down with baby diapers when he is done using them as they look better than when I sold them to him. Does that make them worth the much higher cost... maybe... maybe not. But they have never failed him or me in all these years.

All that said, these days as I wrench so little on my own stuff, if I find I need something to knock a job out, it's often a quick trip down the street to harbor freight. I have had no issues with their stuff... but I also don't use it day in and day out. Simply for weekend-warrior missions and the occasional project. If I built another hot rod or drag car one day... I might find out.

I always assumed you could get a tax deduction if you were a professional mechanic. That might take the sting out of the high price.

Well, you used to be able to. But with the tax law changes, I don’t make enough money to deduct my tools. Even adding home property tax and mortgage interest, I still have to use the standard deduction.

Back