What Length of 1010 Should I Use?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TZ250

Reaction score
Everyone,
What length of 1010 rail should I use for a Dark Star Lite with a G77? For L1 I'll be at a club. I'd like the ability to fly off of a rail instead of using launch lugs for general mid-power field work and rail buttons for L1.

I can mount the 1010 to my current launch pad without a problem. What length should I use? I assume that 6 ft. should be enough.

What length do you suggest?

Six foot will be enough, but get the eight foot. You will have other rockets with other motors that can use the full eight foot. It's kind of like MMTs, you can adapt down, but not up.

Six feet is plenty.

As stated above though, if you can get 8 feet, it would be nice potentially for future rockets to have the extra length. You can get away with 6' in a lot of cases though.

Last edited:
Six foot will be enough, but get the eight foot. You will have other rockets with other motors that can use the full eight foot. It's kind of like MMTs, you can adapt down, but not up.

I haven't done the math, but I always like "better safe than sorry" I'd just go whith the longer of the rails available.

"it is easy to cut a wire that is too long, but is hard to stech one that I too short"

If you can pick it up....get the 8ft. If you must have it shipped the 6ft., anything over that calls for oversized shipping that will cost you dearly.

It will actually fly just fine off of 4ft. Mine has.

If you can pick it up....get the 8ft. If you must have it shipped the 6ft., anything over that calls for oversized shipping that will cost you dearly.

Thats great advise! There is a McMaster-Carr in Aurora, OH if your ever in the northern part of the state where you can drive to and pick it up.

Grainger's web site shows two lengths: 97" and 72". Prices are $32.80 and $27.35 respectively.

I'd go with 8' rail.

The effective rail length is the distance between the top of the rail and the top rail button. As soon as the top button clears the end of the rail the airframe is clear to rotate around the bottom button.

John

The standard length is 97 in. I just ordered a 97 in. piece from a local distributor. They're going to order and I'll drive there to pick it up. That avoids shipping. The guy that I spoke with said that it should arrive on Monday.

It's much cheaper than Grainger or McMaster-Carr. One piece of 1010 from 80/20 Inc. is $22. I think that I'll like the 1010 instead of my 1/4" SS rod. The long rod is whippy in the wind. Since the Dark Star Lite will fly on a G77, it will be my general purpose rocket as well as my L1.

Latest posts

Back