What is your score?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunstar

Reaction score
One point for each thing you've done (max 25 points):

Glued fingers together
Glued other body parts together
Purchased a kit with cash so the spouse won't see it on the credit card statement
Nearly cried when your rocket had a cato
Laughed or cheered when someone else rocket had a cato
Smuggled a new kit into the house to keep the spouse from finding it
Dragged unwilling kids out to watch you launch rockets
Face-planted from running while looking up in the sky toward your descending rocket
Committed minor vandalism against a tree in an attempt to recover a snagged rocket
Ask someone if you can go up on their roof to get your rocket
Had a rocket land in a swimming pool
Have a lost rocket miraculously find its way back to you
Had your new, perfectly finished rocket eaten by the clouds on its maiden flight
Had dealings with the police over your choice of launch site.
Set up your new rocket for launching only to realize you forgot to glue a launch lug on it
Watched clear coat destroy your beautiful paint job
Bought a new kit only to realize there is already one in your build pile
Bought a new kit, not to build it, but to upscale it.
Oversaw a group of 6 or more kids building their first rocket
Had to dodge out of the way of a wayward rocket
Had your rocket go wayward and nearly hit someone
Had a dog or other animal run off with your rocket before you could recover it.
Burn through 5 or more ignitors before lighting the motor
Forget the batteries
Forget the launch rod

I watched someone's [A Famous Person's] Rocket land in a Prison Yard way way down wind from the 1990 flying field in Danville IL. The land owner of the flying field [a Bungalow Motel property] called and managed to get it back.

I also had to have a friend pull me back violently where I was standing because once he did, a Hybrid Fuel Tank came screaming in and smashed into the ground where I was standing, I had failed to see it in the sky.

Last edited:
An embarrassing "2" for me, mainly because I just don't launch enough. I should set raising my score as an objective.

Great list by the way. 👍

Fourteen - but I'm willing to try harder!

Great survey by the way 👍 . I've got a few I could add to your list:

Spilled an entire bottle of CA on your hand and tried to rinse it off under the faucet while it was still wet?
Set lead shot into a nose cone with so much epoxy it melted the nose cone when the epoxy went off?
Hauled everything to the launch site EXCEPT the Aeropack screw-on ring?
While watching one of my own come in ballistic thinking out loud "I wonder if I put in the ejection charge?" (thud) "Guess not."
Waited a whole day to do a tick check only to find one of the little darlings?
Walked straight into brambles while "'not breaking eye contact"?

I also had to have a friend pull me back violently where I was standing because once he did, a Hybrid Fuel Tank came screaming in and smashed into the ground where I was standing, I had failed to see it in the sky.
That happened to me, but the plunging object was a model airplane. Several pounds and it might have been going close to 100 mph. Not as good as your story, though.

1, 2, or 3, depending partly on whether you count gluing your foot to the floor in the other body parts category. I was alone in the house and dropped my CA. I accidentally stepped on the bottle while bending down to pick it up, so it started to glue my bare foot to the hardwood floor. I managed to peel my foot off before it got too bad. Also depending on whether other incompatible paint falls into the clearcoat ruining thing. I should have flown it anyway, I suppose. I guess I was a picky kid.

If you count other hobbies, I've done the equivalent of several other of those things. For instance, to get another guy's model down, I nailed a whole bunch of blocks to a skinny tree with no low branches to climb it. Using a safety rope, or course, but I'm not sure now what would have happened if I was squashed against the tree by that rope. I don't remember whether I've gotten someone else's rocket down from a tree, but I'm pretty sure I've tried. I used to go up in the trees pretty often. My enthusiasm for that has lessened.

I've done the equivalent of several other of those things in other hobbies.

10. I'm a major CA glue offender. Somehow glued my finger to my forehead, glued my lip to a front tooth, glued an AT Cheetah to my inside thigh. And in one motion, I glued my pocket knife to one hand while gluing the bottle itself to the other. I'm sure there is more if I thought about it a bit. On a normal day, I can't unlock my phone because the fingerprint sensor doesn't recognize a CA coated finger.

Hans.

9. There are some others that I and others would have to add points for and/or clarification (cow stepping on rocket vs. dog stealing rocket, I counted as 1).

Fun thread.

I only scored 6, but got very close on a few, like almost landing in a pool.

Forgot to mention, the time my rocket almost landed in a pool, it was in some stranger’s backyard, and I had a nephew with me who really wasn’t into rockets at that point anymore. I had talked my nephew into going to a local schoolyard to fly my Big Daddy, because when you are over a certain age, flying rockets by yourself in a schoolyard just doesn’t look quite right, but if you have your nephew with you, it’s just clean family fun. So the rocket ended up drifting out of the schoolyard and into somebody’s yard. We had to go knock on the door and ask for it back. The homeowner retrieved it for us, and when he handed it back, he said, “It almost landed in my pool!” I feel like this story should be worth 2.5 points at least.

Also, I’d like to suggest another item for the list: Had to call the power company to rescue your rocket from the power lines. If we can add that one, I can boost my score by 2 points. Thats right, I’ve done it twice.

Back