What do you use to clean your rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After LDRS41 we continued our summer travel trailer trip to MN, IA, IL, MO, IN, KY, PA, and finally home to VA. My large L3 rocket was wrapped in packing blankets in the back of the truck the whole time. The bed cover is good, but not water proof. The tubes were in wet blankets for quite a while and the Future floor polish I used to put a shine on it all turned white on the wet bottom areas.

Of course what you use to remove the Future floor polish is ammonia. I cleaned everything up with ammonia and it got all the white floor polish off.

Then I decided to try to clean the payload end of the av-bay. As anyone that has flown much DD in the standard configuration knows, the end of the av-bay contained in the payload tube gets a huge amount of FFFFg residue covering that end and it makes a huge mess. When I used the ammonia, it took all that residue off. It was amazing. The fiberglass end caps were like new! No work, just brush some ammonia on the dirty areas with an acid brush and all that powder residue just ran off. It didn't clean the u-bolts, quick links, or wing nuts and copper pipe caps used as powder holders quite a well, but still it did an amazing job. After 15 flights, the end is amazingly clean!

I recommend everyone get a half gallon of ammonia to clean powder reside! I haven't found anything that works better!

I have not done any dual deployment flights where I am loading in ejection charges but hearing about how much of a mess it makes me want to get my CO2 system working and tested so that I can have zero residue. Thanks for the tip.

I wipe everything down a day or two after an event with any handi-wipe in a bottle that I happen to have available, gets off all the dirt and residue no issues

Back