What do you think space combat would look like?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
star wars GIF

If you remember the early video game "Space War" where two ships are firing at each other but there's a gravity well in the way, so you have to curve your projectiles around it....

Many people have expressed their amazement at the effects work done for "The Expanse" saying that the space combat seen in the series is by far, the most realistic representation of what advanced warfare in deep space would look like, if we had access to that level of technology.

And FYI you don't want to have *any* kind of combat in LEO. The debris created by even limited warfare would eradicate everything in orbit, making the effects as seen in "Gravity" relatively minor. That would wipe out telecommunications of almost every type.

And FYI you don't want to have *any* kind of combat in LEO. The debris created by even limited warfare would eradicate everything in orbit, making the effects as seen in "Gravity" relatively minor. That would wipe out telecommunications of almost every type.
I have read the books and I don’t think that it’s a bad idea is going to stop it when It happens.

first there would have to be some hardware up there, then it would very,very, quiet. The whole idea of having wars continue in space is as ridiculous as it gets. Since humans have been killing and hurting each other throughout history, we are still unintelligent, barbaric, primitive beings, incapable of organizing and cultivating humanity. There will be more people beheaded today, just like every other day. :(

Last edited:
The beginnings of space combat may look like this:

luch-2__1.jpg

Russia’s second Luch/Olymp launched earlier this year has been spotted hanging out near Eutelsat 3B, which provides communications to Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Central Asia and South America. (Artist’s rendering of Eutelsat 3B: Eutelsat.)
That is what I am thinking satellite against satellite. I expect that if they fire on it the US will start protecting them and that is probably what space war will look like.

Understood but spewing blood does not have the same meaning if it is ice cubes.
Is being hit by a drone strike bloody warfare then, as well? If you've been targeted from 25,000 feet and that missile hits you, you're just pink mist. There isn't even a jawbone left to clean up and bury. What's left of you wouldn't fill a Poland Spring water bottle.

There are not gong to be people fighting in space. It's also very unlikely we would see kinetic effects used in space, or at least LEO, because of the issues debris causes as mentioned earlier. Countries with the capability to kinetically destroy space based hardware would be putting their own hardware at risk by going kinetic. It would be possible to kinetically destroy a satellite in geosynchronous orbit with little to no side effects. It's also more difficult to shoot down a satellite in geosynchronous orbit. Electronic warfare is going to be where the space battle is fought. I'd bet the Russian satellite posted earlier is setup and positioned to do exactly that. Another option is terrestrial jamming to cause local outages of space based comms.

I love that guy’s content it’s a 10/10.
That guy is right that there will be no meat pilots on board. But he is wrong about there being no stealth in space. Objects are detected and tracked optically and by radar. Using aircraft stealth technology would work in space as well as in the atmosphere to prevent or delay radar detection/tracking. Optically, as well -- paint it flat black.

RF emissions can be eliminated by communicating via laser.

Here is our present day space combat scenario: We have valuable satellites doing important things. There is a suspicious object maneuvering for a kinetic kill. Our stealthy interceptor, already in orbit, maneuvers for an intercept, aiming to identify and, if necessary, disable it with a blinding laser flash or perhaps kinetically. A kinetic kill would not be desirable, due to debris created.

Such an interceptor would need to have a very high delta V reserve. Small size would help with that.

There are not gong to be people fighting in space. It's also very unlikely we would see kinetic effects used in space, or at least LEO, because of the issues debris causes as mentioned earlier. Countries with the capability to kinetically destroy space based hardware would be putting their own hardware at risk by going kinetic. It would be possible to kinetically destroy a satellite in geosynchronous orbit with little to no side effects. It's also more difficult to shoot down a satellite in geosynchronous orbit. Electronic warfare is going to be where the space battle is fought. I'd bet the Russian satellite posted earlier is setup and positioned to do exactly that. Another option is terrestrial jamming to cause local outages of space based comms.
Possible but I think that no one is going to sit and let someone jam their coms.

But he is wrong about there being no stealth in space. Objects are detected and tracked optically and by radar. Using aircraft stealth technology would work in space as well as in the atmosphere to prevent or delay radar detection/tracking. Optically, as well -- paint it flat black.

RF emissions can be eliminated by communicating via laser.
You are forgetting thermal radiation the all satellites have radiators and in a vacuum you have to have them to get rid of heat. The interceptor would be visible but it could out range and out delta V the target.

Last edited:
Possible but I think that no one is going to sit and let someone jam their coms.
Lol, I agree but if it is a space based jammer then your options are going to be limited. You either take out the emitter in space or the terrestrial control system. The latter becomes a lot more difficult if the control system is not located in the theatre of operations which is almost certainly going to be the case.

You are forgetting thermal radiation the all satellites have radiators and in a vacuum you have to have them to get rid of heat. The interceptor would be visible but it could out range and out delta V the target.
Mass Effect handled that by having the Normandy have heat sinks inside the hull where waste heat could be directed to. The issue was this only would work for so long before the heat would have to be vented and the entire ship started to cook.

Latest posts

Back