What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
last night I was hoping my West Systems epoxy that was in the garage for probably 5 years or so was still ok, so I mixed some up and added a little silica, and glued on the rear centering ring on the Piranha. Before leaving this morning, mixed up more and glued on the top centering ring. Epoxy looks to still be good to go, hardened on the rear ring, and is getting there on the top. Figured out I need to get some of the 205 hardener, the 206 is a bit too slow for centering rings. Should be good when I try my hand at injecting fillets. Now to find Crazy Jim's build threads and learn a thing or 2 before going down that road.

I was loading the truck for the launch tomorrow and our Post lady delivered another rocket related product. (Got my 38mm CTI 3 grain case from Thobin here on the forum.) She has been delivering our mail for over ten years, so she knows about my rocket addiction. I had my six foot long "Coppertop" in my hands so I did a little show and tell. Got the standard questions, "How high will it go?" and "How expensive is it?"

Finished sanding my 5inch jart, gonna prime it next week and paint it, and its done.,

Today I primed the ginormous nose cone of my Squat. I filled the various holes I drilled in it to secure the nose weight and the shock cord bulkhead mount. Then did a rinse and repeat.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Masked off and reshot black on Renegade F .

Shot more finish primer on Estes Nike Smoke and filler primer on GForce nose cone.

Opened up pkg from C J ! AT Interlock controller, will be able to keep a lil CJ in the range box!

Kenny

Today I checked the club page to see if we're launching tomorrow. Launch scrubbed cuz of weather, try again next week.

Took my ham technician license. Passed.

Later!

--Coop

Thanks to Davidtmp for the pinecar construction advice. My sons car won the pack tournament today. After 3 years of not even winning any heats. That was some sound advice.

Got fins tacked into Bluemoon II, Electronics mounted on sled. Still need to foam, install switches, prime, paint... Launch two weeks from today... tick tock

Cursing the wind all day. I am finally ready to have a great launch day with the wife shooting off ther big daddy and 20 mph winds are tearing across the plains :(

At least I picked up a dremel bit to cut on the Wedgie. 50% chance of rain / snow tomorrow.

I WANNA LAUNCH DARNIT

I filled and sanded the spirals and fillets on my MPR scratch build.

Tomorrow I hope to add fillets to my Mini Eagle Claw.

Tinkered with the 20 mill project and started the Interceptor MK-IV, Thread to follow !

I went to test fly my TARC rocket and the day before i had made a change to the design and completely forgot to check the stability in rocsim before i added the adjustment, it unfortunately made the rocket very unstable. When i launched it it went strait for about 50 feet, got up to speed and made a sudden left turn and flew towards a river, landed about 100 feet short of the river but for some reason the engine hooks failed to hold it in and the motor got rammed up into the rocket ripping the screws out of the rocket and causing my motor/fin section to separate from the rest of the rocket, THEN it ejected and since it wasn't in the rocket didn't launch the chute and the rocket did a nose dive from a couple hundred feet...transition and altimeter tube and egg where destroyed as well as part of the motor mount, remaking it and adding new fins, i'm NOT giving up, i refuse even when everything that could go wrong went wrong. then the other team that was with me launched theirs and the chute ripped out from the payload section, broke their altimeter from a nose dive but the egg survived... but since it's not flyable without repairs it can't qualify so they're rebuilding and trying again too.

In the last few weeks I'm building a KestreL clone, an upscale KestreL to 3" and repairing a 98mm min dia. Recently I got fins cut out and tacked to the body tube on the KestreL. The upscale has the fins cut out and is going in the fin jig next. On the 98mm I've gotten a new section of body tube layed up and a new coupler made...slowly but surely I'll get them done.

Tony

First rocket launch of the season!

It was completely overcast, in the 40s, damp, grassy field still wet from the morning drizzle. But no wind at all . . . this is what counts as a great flying day in Oregon in winter.

I flew about a half-dozen models, including a two stager (A8-0 / A8-5) and some low-and-slow D12 powered models. Lost nothing, nothing damaged.

We (Oregon Rocketry) had a three or four newcomers and a dozen or so spectators. An unfortunate number of rockets ended up in the nearby pair of trees, but no one seemed discouraged.

The only one who didn't have fun was my dog, who hates rockets. She laid in the back seat of the car and pretended not to be there. When I gave her a walk in the nearby woods before I left she twitched every time a rocket launched. I bought her a junior burger at Wendy's as a reward for being patient and quiet.

Still working on the Madcow Squat. I primed the nosecone again...third coat I believe...and filled in a few holes I drilled for skewers to hold the nose weight/epoxy and screws to hold the anchor bulkhead in place. After allowing a decent interval and then following up with the hairdryer I sanded the primer down to a mostly smooth surface. I will still need to apply more filler, sand and re-prime. Normally I don't sand the final primer coat as I want the paint to have something to grab. Also, I'll be using fluoro pink which leaves a matte surface that needs to clear coated for that glossy look.

Back