What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bah! my workload has gone through the roof over the last 12 months or so and I've virtually not looked at a rocket :( I've been to prob. 3 launches this year!! Argh!!

The most rocketry related thing I've done today is to spend a few mins on TRF :) Something I've not done in months !

Krusty

Spent some time redesigning my eggtimer lcd Case. First rounds of it didn’t turn out great. Now to wait 9 hrs for the print to finish

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

razor sawed a fin off my blue tube weasel MD due to the fin was tilted to one side, it was in line with the axis of the tube so the rocket probably would have flown straight but a couple of minutes with the razor saw and the fin was off. Reattached said offensive fin to rocket only this time straight, as soon as the JB Weld has cured I will start fillets prior to Tip to Tip reinforcement. Also repaired the 38mm to 29mm adapter that got blown apart when my Cowabunga cato'd on its maiden flight, no damage to anything but the adapter and the casing which split 3/4 down the side of the 29/40-120. Aerotech has already responded to the warranty claim and is replacing the hardware and the reload, great customer service from Karl and friends at AT. We believe the cato was caused by the igniter wire plugging the nozzle as it was being ejected.

Finished printing the plastic parts for my CNC build...almost 600 g of filament total.

Spent some time redesigning my eggtimer lcd Case. First rounds of it didn’t turn out great. Now to wait 9 hrs for the print to finish
I really should put mine up on Thingiverse. It's not perfect, but it works great.

IMG_2822.jpg

Me today: Helped my twins put the fins on their Madcow Formula 38s. The fins & both rail button buts are in place on their rockets and my Mouse 38.

IMG_2771.jpg IMG_2814.jpg

Finally found some time to spend on my Vertical Trajectory System. It has been stuck in the systems integration phase since about this time last year. Bathroom renovation and other things keep getting in the way. If I keep ticking away at it I should have it ready to fly by the opening of our flying season, April '18.

I'm actually going to do some more on it right now :)

Awesome! So you guys have a dark sky star party site? Blue Canyon up by Tahoe is great, but always looking for other good sites. I've got a 12" SCT.

There's a low altitude site just a couple of miles up highway 4 from the entrance to Snow Ranch. The SAS also uses the 4000 foot emergency helo pad on highway 88, and their high altitude site, on Peddler Hill, also up highway 88. Peddler Hill is a very nice observing site. Dark sky.

But for the most part, the Bruce Orvis scope will be use at public events, like the SAS "Sky Tours," held monthly in a parking lot at Delta College, and another monthly public party, held at Oak Grove Park. (In the past, we've had a number of wheelchair bound guests at the Sky Tours event that were unable to enjoy some of the larger aperture instruments, and our mirror guru and resident telescope making expert decided to do something about that, by putting the eyepiece and focuser at a fixed height, thru the center of one of the altitude bearings. Bingo... Larger aperture, wheelchair accessible.)

Finished putting together a Fletcher!
I do believe this is my first Super-Rocket!

A gorgeous rocket. I'm seriously considering one for my next build. I've even seen one adapted as a two stage!

The only question is whether I leave out the motor mount for an 18mm MD or scratch build an upscale 24mm MD!

A gorgeous rocket. I'm seriously considering one for my next build. I've even seen one adapted as a two stage!

The only question is whether I leave out the motor mount for an 18mm MD or scratch build an upscale 24mm MD!
Both! First one, then the other.

You left out the motor mount, I hope?

I didn't. Living East of the Mississippi keeps my builds somewhat restrained. Not even the new T3 tracker can fit in this thing!
Although I may be shooting myself in the foot recovery-wise by painting it like one of my real arrows. Black-tip, camo shaft (or my poor attempts at painting it), 2 yellow or yellow-green fletchings, 1 white. (Maybe a silver tip for style)

Last night I was having exactly the same thoughts regarding what an upscale would look like.
If you made one with an 18mm mount (or 24mm Minimum), you'd get a 4' needle!

Re-did my Blue Tube Rabid Weasel MD OpenRocke file, for some reason the old one had the rocket doing all kinds of unstable things. After re-doing the entire rocket, it now sims stable up to a J510.....(yes the fins get tip to tip). And just for S&G's (its cool looking but not likely to fly) yes that's a CHAD'ed 54/427...:dark:

View attachment 329195

My goal for this rocket is to see how much punishment it can eventually take.
How does this work?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Go 18mm md, you won't be disappointed.

I really should put mine up on Thingiverse. It's not perfect, but it works great.

View attachment 329300

eh i wanted to use a particular set of buttons and battery i had.
irccloudcapture198909994.jpg

although i might take an inch off the depth as it is just wasted space right now

Got the salvaged workbench leveled, the printed parts are all done, and enough other parts have arrived to start the Ox Metal build.

Got the X-carriage done tonight.

Finished up my G Force for my Level 1 on a H motor. Test flew it on a G64-7W ( delay cut to 5 sec.) and our new rail launch pad.

[video=youtube;iM_erS3y6yw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM_erS3y6yw[/video]

Mike

Groucho
Could you please put your RX handle on the Thingiverse? I’d like to get one.
Yeah, I'll put it on my to do list. I just looked at the files & they have my name & phone number on the parts. I'll have to spend a little time removing those before I share them.

Me today: fin fillets on two Formula 38s and a Mouse 38. I did 3 of the outer fillets on each rocket. They're kinda messy, but they'll get sanded since the kids want their rockets painted. I grabbed my Mouse 38 the other day with black Proline 4500 epoxy on my glove, so it's gray body tube is all ugly now. I guess it's getting paint too. I'll do the other fillets in a day or two.

IMG_2842.jpg IMG_2843.jpg

Spent some time playing with a design for a 29mm MD designed to kiss the 1524m ceiling of my clubs waiver on a g80.

Playing with OR optimisations and was struggling to get to 1200m - till I realised I was optimising with a 4sec delay on the eject.

Increased to the g80 max of 10s and presto, I was shooting to 1600m+

Last edited:
Loc nose cones are notoriously hard to get paint to stick to them...well I found something else that doesn't stick, ca doesn't stick them either. needed a form to do some ca work on an airframe, put some ca on the end of the tube then shoved the nose cone in place. an hour later I pulled the cone, still need to do some more sanding of the inside of the tube.
Rex

Giving a presentation to the Washington Aerospace Club at the Seattle Museum of Flight. Topic: Hi-power sugar motors.

Back