What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than that, I spent the day at the hardware store and lumber store getting stuff to fix my house.
Too bad my house can't build me a new house.:(

Helped my folks with replacing the floor in their addition. Flashbacks of that. Carpet was the only think keeping you from going through the spongy floor. The joists are needed replaced. I could break pieces off with my hands.

Best of luck.

Packed all the prepped rockets into the truck this morning before it got hot. I'm thinking close to 40 rockets between Sharon and I. :y: Not much chance we can fly them all in three days, but we will give it a try... The racks in the rocket room are mostly empty.

Hellfire on the Bonneville salt flats is a unique launch area, if any part of the rocket is above ground, you will find it. More than half of the rockets are small class 1 rockets that you can't fit a tracker into, so we usually only fly them on the salt.
Leaving Wednesday morning, about 9.5 hours to Wendover, UT.

Have not done anything but a little mindsim and project planning since getting back from NARAM last Sunday. Doing a little of that today while waiting at the airport to head out for the week.

Mulling over some new RC RG ideas, mostly. And debating whether to do an RC RG for my level 2 cert or not.

got paint on my scratch built 429ss finally!! now for maiden flight motor selection

20160731_165908_zpsel4uauvm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's been awfully hot out here in Cali this week which has made it difficult to get much done in the way of working in the shop or painting at any time after 11:00AM or so.

Needless to say, I have made some more progress on the the Madcow LilGoblin 38mm: Fluoro pink body paint, Black Night metallic black fin can trim, Crystal Clear Enamel that will need some additional coverage to smooth out the slightly dull area on a fin surface or two due to heat, and shaped the nose cone bulkhead to fit fairly deep in the as of yet un-glossed nose cone. Hope to shoot some more clear enamel tomorrow.

While I'm on a fiberglass rocket kit roll, I've been examining the parts and pieces of the Wildman Punisher that I bought during one of the Wildman's Wacky Wednesday Night specials a year or two ago... I have already named it: "The Pinkisher" as I paint all my rockets fluoro pink with metalflake black fin cans. Crazy Jim suggested using the Pink Panther in place of the Punisher skull so that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Finished the base colors on the Flying V, in Monokote. Looking forward to getting the juicy details on.

Attachments

• 20160731_225917.jpg
    20160731_225917.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 8
Yesterday experimented quick bonding with epoxy . I glued fins and part of the pipe of the engine and then loaded it with caramel fuel. Because it is warm epoxy became hard until completely cold fuel :)

I made 9 more flights Sunday at the URRG launch in Potter. Winds were mostly cooperative, and I didn't have to chase anything far. I made a second flight on my Orbital Interceptor upscale, and first flight on my replacement Der Green Max (on a cluster of 3 A8-3 motors). It was cloudy most of the day, but we got off the farm just before it rained.

Packed all the prepped rockets into the truck this morning before it got hot. I'm thinking close to 40 rockets between Sharon and I. :y: Not much chance we can fly them all in three days, but we will give it a try... The racks in the rocket room are mostly empty.

Hellfire on the Bonneville salt flats is a unique launch area, if any part of the rocket is above ground, you will find it. More than half of the rockets are small class 1 rockets that you can't fit a tracker into, so we usually only fly them on the salt.
Leaving Wednesday morning, about 9.5 hours to Wendover, UT.

holy lotsof smoke!!!
i think many of us would love to see a video compilation of your flights

I packed a box of rocket building supplies to take with me to Boy Scouts summer camp - my son's troop was short an adult, so I volunteered to go for a couple of days. I'll build some rockets while the boys are working on merit badges...

I started to fillet the fins on my LaserHawk with Milliput, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped, so I only did one until I decide what to try next. Probably 45 minute Epoxy mixed with Microballoons.

holy lotsof smoke!!!
i think many of us would love to see a video compilation of your flights

Then you should come out with a camera. We don't usually document our flights unless it's one of the bigger rockets with a Mobius camera mounted to it. I do have a new toy, it's a pair of binoculars with video built in. Haven't had real good luck with it, and am usually too busy to mess with it.

Today, I worked on a new recovery vehicle we are going to test on the Bonneville salt flats this weekend. I don't think any of the land speed records are in danger:

163.jpg

Then you should come out with a camera. We don't usually document our flights unless it's one of the bigger rockets with a Mobius camera mounted to it. I do have a new toy, it's a pair of binoculars with video built in. Haven't had real good luck with it, and am usually too busy to mess with it.

Today, I worked on a new recovery vehicle we are going to test on the Bonneville salt flats this weekend. I don't think any of the land speed records are in danger:

163.jpg

Clever!!

163.jpg

Depends on how mad you make Hardline, it may be necessary to break a few records just to get away.....:)

Depends on how mad you make Hardline, it may be necessary to break a few records just to get away.....:)

Snort!

I may be able to run faster than he can get away on the salt while fully loaded with recovered rockets......

I keep imagining what kind of shape that bike is going to be in after 4 days on the salt. :eyepop:

Finished painting my Demon Sport. My son's is on the left, mine is on the right. Mine is better... ;)

1470241977824.jpg

Broke down and ordered the new Too Cool for Spool from Squirrel Works, the 2 new kits (Mira and Tiberius) from Fliskits, and 5 Estes kits from AC Supply (SLV, Quinstar, Shuttle, Puma, and Expedition)

Wife will not be happy..... :facepalm:

I guess one way to look at it is these orders only increase my backlog of kits by less than 2% :wink:

Launched a bunch of rockets out on the Bonneville Salt flats today. Sharon launched eight and I launched seven. We also helped UROC finish setting up the range, so I didn't get started flying until after a stint as RSO. Great day of flying, almost dead calm all day long.

Today I weighed all the components of my new MAC Scorpion kit, and in turn made a more accurate Rocksim model of it than I previously had.

Built two rockets (mini red max and crossfire) while hanging out at summer camp for a couple days. Started preping a third when it was time to watch the space exploration merit badge class launch their Vikings on B6-4 motors... 2 out of 10 came back - 1 because it was completely unstable... 😧

Chris

I thought about rockets as I put the first layer of 9oz. fiberglass cloth down on my bathroom's subfloor.:(

I could finally sit down today, so I ran my bathroom subfloor build through a mind sim, to determine at which point I had developed the laceration to my left eyeball. I thought about any operation I did that might have required eyepro, where I may have neglected, and think I found the culprit based on the nature of the injury and what I've seen from chunks of debris spalling into peoples eyes.
Thankfully it is healing, but since the only mirrors are in my car and my bathroom, and the bathroom is disassembled, I did not notice the damage until I saw it in my vanity mirror after my morning walk with my Dog the other day.
I'm such a stickler about Eye Protection too, so it figures something like this would happen to me for what was likely a few careless strokes of a hammer and chisel during the removal of the rotten sub-floor.
I was paying so much attention to safety detail too, but mostly respiratory and general exposure/possible contamination of otherwise clean areas, as there would be mold, old paint and fiberglass floating about.
I can't be certain that I was hit by spalling, but I did notice it a few times while working, and that was the day I gave my Son the Eyepro, because he was going to help me out for a bit. I have multiple pair, but I put mine on him before demonstrating what to do when you run into screws or nails, and why the prybar is the preferred method. I'm an idiot for that, but maybe someone here will remember my story and save an Eye. Mine will be fine, but it was scary, and until I determined a logical conclusion, I could not be scared or comforted, so I can only pretend it was scary, or try to remember to remember to think of it as pretty scary.

This is a guy banging metal on metal, and he specifically mentions wearing eye pro, and I had watched this video, and noted the single frame of spalling in my research. I was able to easily remember and find it when it became relevant, and it only took me 3 shots to pause the frame of spall.

Maybe something else happened to my Eye? Maybe not.
Regardless, Extra, Extra attention to Eye safety from now on, and if anyone benefits from my near miss, that's worth sharing my mistake.
Buddy of mine had a nail ricochet into his Eye. He was blind in that Eye for nearly a year, but mostly recovered, and made sure to spread the word of how important it is to protect those Eyes!

That'sWhyMyEye! 2016-08-06 001 (2).jpg

At the 1:22 mark:

Guy does not get hit by it, but you can imagine if you were.

[video=youtube;FxhsJyNy_Ho]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxhsJyNy_Ho[/video]

And incase anyone thinks that that is totally not rocket related, what if you could cause a spall like that with a mechanically triggered deployment something or other?
It would certainly ignite an ejection charge or complete a relay.
I'm designing a spring loaded deployment system that is based on the JA-Ru "Swat-Shot" $1 toy that is used to swat flies.
It is just a spring loaded sear, but do to it's geometry and light weight, can be loaded onto a non L1 rocket, and activated by a pushrod.

Last edited:
I swear at some point that Estes will sell out of Mid-Power clearance kits... today I brought my total count to 22 of them.

I realized how easy it would have been to use drill rod and precision bearings in my lathe in the first place, and designed a retrofit that can be made by the current lathe, so it can upgrade itself.
The upgrade consists of six bearing holders, that will first be turned from foam, then glassed, then have a layer couple of layers of carbon fiber.
Each holder will be turned to the precise and proper diameter, then drilled in a trilateral fashion for threaded inserts at 120 degrees.
I'll use machine screws as set screws to position each bearing to the utmost precision I can get, and that will be "Good Enough", as it will be more precise then the bearings I'm running now, even though they work fine.
There is never any good reason for a tool I design and build to stop evolving.:)

I also worked extensively with an ACE Hardware brand wood filler product, stock number 1139195, and really found it's properties likeable, though it was too thick, and it was hard not to waste lots of it. I need to figure out how to thin it for application, as I'm working on defects like knots and the splits on the outer layers of 3/4" plywood. It would also be preferable to have the product in some form of dispenser that is more like a caulking tube, so you don't have to take more out than you can use.

I have a bunch of used caulking tubes, must be a pile of 20 something by now, but they are designed for obsolescence.
There are some nice ones that are made of a plastic sleeve, and I will use those for my prototype "Refillable Caulking Tube".

Holycow! Already designed it in my head!

That took all of 7.5 seconds.

Modified bike tire valve stems, stainless steel tubing, stainless round barstock, O-rings, Crossman CO2 Pellet gun, CO2 cartridges for power, trigger sear assembly of my own design.:)
Perhaps an adjustable "Oiler" inline with the dispenser spout to mix and homogenize any desired thinning agent?

Built a 24mm motor mount for the Estes Mercury Redstone.

mr 24mm .jpg

Only 3 grams heavier than the kit supplied 18mm. :)

mr 18mm.jpg

Last edited:
I need to bring my own rail to fly my Flying V this weekend, so I finally picked up the parts needed to adapt my rail to my Jawstand.

Finally finished wet sanding my Leviathan to remove the orange peel from clear coat. Applied my vinyl from Stickershock and I am very satisfied at the look now, as some would say "Making the turn for home!". All that is left now is a few more coats of clear, wet sand , buff and polish and it will be ready. Unfortunately with all the rain we are having in North Florida I probably will not have it ready for this month's NEFAR launch outside Bunnell. Too wet to shoot paint and after it will be very muggy as our old friend the sun tries to put it all back in the atmosphere! Will wait until September's launch so I can finish the paint and rig it, Sim some motors and start mocking up my next project.

Attachments

• 20160806_182305.jpg
    20160806_182305.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 9
Back